What's new

Rome Season II (1 Viewer)

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Wow. Is there really anything more to say about what IMHO was a spectacular kick-off to the new season?

By that I don't mean a spectacle in terms of CGI, epic large events like battles or what not, just that generally the episode was briliant on so many levels and in so many scenes, small and large. Just a few examples: Anthony's "little chat" with Brutus and the other conspirators, his later almost casual killing of Quintus Pompeius, Pullo consoling Vorenus, and their later payback, Calpurnia's reaction when Servilia dared to show up to pay respects to Caesar, Octavian's masterly manipulation of his mother and Anthony, his discussion with Pullo on why Vorenus was "distracted" from bodyguard duties for Caesar, and Pullo's later "oath of allegiance" to Octavian for future duty, Pullo asking what's-her-name to marry him, Anthony insisting on having a shag before the funeral etc. I could go on.

Joseph's already mentioned the Masters of Rome books; if anything those could have formed a very good basis for dramatization as "historical fiction", without taking real history (as far as we know it) to the extremes that this TV series has. But I do recognise that some of the license taken is really for dramatic purposes (Servilia being deep into the assassination plot, in particular), and it does often work for entertainment purposes, even if it does education a disservice.

I had not realised that real-life historical accounts of Caesar's childhood were so scant. Joseph, is McCullough's account of Marius making Caesar the flamen dialis (Jupiter's special priest, a life appointment, who was forbidden to bear arms and therefore could never have as soldiering career, a necessary pre-requisite to a political career) true at all? McCullough portrayed that as the act of an old man trying to sabotage Caesar's career, since Marius knew/suspected that Caesar had the ability to far surpass his achievements, and Marius was trying to preserve his legacy/reputation as the greatest Roman of all time. Then again, that was IIRC Caesar's teen years already, so does that appear in Suetonius's work?

I guess one of these days I am going to have to get that; so far most of my understanding of Republican Rome is from McCullough's work, and some other odd sources (would you believe, the historical notes in the rulebook for Avalon Hill's "Republic Of Rome" game? Which is a simulation of politics in the Roman Senate. A pretty good game IMHO.)

Oh, and back to the TV show, I can't wait for the next episode. Any idea where S2 is going to end, in relation to historic events? I can't see them jumping so far ahead to the end of the second Civil War (Octavian v. Anthony), but then again, where else would an appropriate "end-point" be?

Another thing: I'm glad Max Pirkis is back (there were rumours he wasn't returning for S2), but it is a bit odd seeing him having grown a fair bit, when this episode picks up exactly where S1 left off. But for S2 purposes this "jump" does work out, since Octavian is now Caesar's heir and a significant player in his own right, if a bit young, raw and callow, and it does "look" a little better having the now-slightly older Pirkis in the role.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

All excellent moments. I especially loved Erastes complaining about the noise from the bar (a brawl he thought) as his men were being slaughtered and his satisfaction when it finally ends on, as he thinks, his command. The reveal of first his right hand man and then everyone in the place lying dead and the blood-covered ex-legionaries was classic. Ah, Quintus Pompeius. I had forgotten who that was that Antony killed. Well, at least the fictional Pompeius is finally off the board. I do hope the producers kept Sextus alive somewhere, as his later execution plays a big propaganda role in the real history.

Regards,

Joe

RyanTSI

Agent
Real Name
Ryan MacInnis
That would be interesting. Perkis is a great actor but if only because of the way his role was directed last season it's going to be hard for him to be plausible.

A change to a slightly older character might work well, or might turn out horrible. I have a lot of trust though in the casting abilities of HBO so I'm not gonna worry to much.

TwoKings

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jay
Great to see all the historical talk going on here.

Does anyone know if the rumors are true that Colleen McCullough is currently writing a 7th MASTERS OF ROME book called ANTONY AND CLEOPATRA?

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Apparently the book (to be called The Queen of Beasts, not Antony & Cleopatra) was finished in August, when McCullough gave an interview about her recent mystery novel, On, Off. But I haven't seen anything about a publication date as yet. (I did sign up for an author e-mail alert at the Simon & Schuster website, so I should know when they make an announcement.)

Regards,

Joe

RyanTSI

Agent
Real Name
Ryan MacInnis
If anyone is interested here is a preview from HBO of tonights episode.

Cleopatra arrives in Rome to pay her respects to Caesar--and to attempt to get her young son legitimized. The Egyptian Queen's arrival intrigues Mark Antony and rankles Atia, who barely tolerates her new rival and Servilia during a fete. Called off a grisly mission at the last minute, Timon returns home to find his brother Levi has unexpectedly arrived from Jerusalem, his disdain for all things Roman intact. Meanwhile, Erastes' death has plunged the Aventine Collegium, and Rome's river commerce, into chaos. In an effort to restore order, Mark Antony orders Vorenus to assume Erastes' captaincy, and he and Pullo bully the warring gangs into an uneasy truce. Frustrated by Mark Antony in his attempt to secure his inheritance, Octavian takes out a loan to pay off Caesar's promise to the people, angering his mother and especially Mark Antony, who refuses the boy's offer of a power-sharing strategic alliance. The confrontation leads to Octavian leaving Rome.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Does anyone connected with this series remember that Antony had a wife, a serious hottie and major political intriguer by the name of Fulvia? Or is the imaginary version of Atia supposed to be a composite of the two of them?

So, Cleopatra, who was in Rome on the Ides of March and escaped almost immediately after for her own safety (she was staying in a home owned by Caesar, the very "garden home" on the far side of the Tiber that he left as a public park to the Roman people) is now depicted as having been in Egypt and showing up without an army and putting her son at risk. Makes sense. :)

Regards,

Joe

RyanTSI

Agent
Real Name
Ryan MacInnis
More information on Octavian later in the season for those who are interested.

Wikipedia lists Simon Woods as playing Octavian in episodes 6-10 of this season. I dont recognize the name, although he does bare a resemblance to Perkis. I think this is probably a good idea. If the role is played right (and I am sure it will) it will make for a much more believable Octavian as Augustus.

James St

Supporting Actor
So were the children shown at the end of the episode last night those of Vorenus? I never got a good look at them before so I don't remember.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
They looked like them. I think that the guy Vorenus killed knew he was dead anyway so he might have said he killed them as a final stab whether it was true or not.

RyanTSI

Agent
Real Name
Ryan MacInnis
It was them. Erastes knew he was dead and he also knew that if he told Vorenus that he killed the children that Vorenus would kill him quickly.

Mark Antony is getting better and better. He lines are the best so far in this season, bar none.

John_Lee

Supporting Actor
It may be immature of me, but I can't look at David Bamber as Cicero without a strong Chris Parnell vibe.

Jeff Pounds

Second Unit

I also thought that was great... it also reminded me of that exchange between Corey (Lilly Taylor) and Lloyd (John Cusak) in Say Anything when Corey was telling Lloyd how things would change now that he and Diane had sex.

"You might be 40 years old, walking down the street... you'll bump into her, say 'hi' or whatever... but what you'll really both be thinking is we had sex."

For some reason, that quote just seemed dead-on in that moment...

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks