What's new

Rolling Stone's "500 Greatest Albums of All Time" (1 Viewer)

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Rachael
I saw at least one Steve Miller album & 1 Janis Joplin in there...not to high but in there.
Hmmmmmm maybe it was Scott Joplin; what's the difference - right?

Craig: Mclaren

Second Unit
As much as I love the music of the 50's,60's and 70's I was wondering why the 1980's always gets shafted?
No-
Duran Duran- Rio
Tears For Fears- Songs From The Big Chair
Spandau Ballet - True
Human League - Dare
Simple Minds - New Gold Dream

No Robert Palmer, No Huey Lewis and the News,No Phil Collins, George Michael in the 400's.

When will this decade get the musical respect it deserves? :frowning: :thumbsdown:

PS- No Kate bush- hounds of love either!

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
What strikes me most wrong about this list is that Led Zeppelin doesn't enter until #29. Ridiculous.

I totally agree that no greatest hits should be on the list. If these should be allowed, you might as well just add the Beatles Red and Blue albums and make the top 5 a clean sweep for the Beatles...And yes, add me to the list of people who think Revolver should be #1.

I have major issues with DSOTM not being in the top 20. 30 years of longevity, critical and fan acclaim spanning 3 generations puts it way higher than 43 on my list.

Typical of Rolling Stone magazine however, which today looks more like it's a subsidiary of MTV than the daring cutting edge publication it once was.

kamyiu

Stunt Coordinator
it's a joke of a list. rolling stone is now built on corporate conservatism and riding on past glories. used-to-be's don't count any longer.

StephenA

Screenwriter
Where's the Moody Blues and Jim Croce? Crazy list. Alot charted higher on that list than I thought they would.

Shawn C

Screenwriter
I don't even know why anyone would even bother to try and put together this kind of list.

LawrenceK

Stunt Coordinator
Well everyone will inevitably have a problem with these kinds of things, and my beef lies with its bias towards 60's and 70's "classic rock". No daring choices in the top 100, just the same revered albums that these types of lists always pick.

It dissapoints me that truly great albums like The Stooges - Funhouse, Television - Marquee Moon, Talking Heads - Remain in Light, Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation, The Pixies - Surfer Rosa...etc. are given just token placements in the lower regions of the list because they are lesser known albums, by lesser known artists. I find it absolutely rediculous that Gang of Four - Entertainment! is at #490. It is just as fine an album as London Calling. Who says you can't have two punk-rock masterpieces in the top 10? Same goes for OK Computer, which is an album that should have easily made the top 10. It was nice to see The Strokes - Is This It? and White Stripes - Elephant get placements though. I have a feeling those two albums will get higher spots on these kinds of lists in the future.

Anyways, if anybody wants to check out some more interesting lists, have a look at the best albums of the 80s and 90s on pitchforkmedia.com , which I think are lists much more worthy of discussion than this one.

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
since when was Rolling Stone considered a credible source in the field of music?

i mean, simply the fact that 'Straight Outta Compton' was ranked higher than a classic like 'Houses of the Holy' or even 'OK Computer' makes me want to vomit in a bag and mail it to them. Rolling Stone is to music as Bose is to audio.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
What? Two Michael Jackson LP's, and

NOT ONE SINGLE MOODY BLUES ALBUM? NOT EVEN DAYS OF FUTURE PASSED???

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
since when was Rolling Stone considered a credible source in the field of music?
Since around 1967 as I recall.

Of course we're not all going to be fans of all 500 discs, but I really enjoy reading the entire list and will certainly discover new treasures as a result. For myself, I was pleased to find 3 Randy Newmans, John Prine's first work and the very best Jerry Lee Lewis overview (All Killer No Filler).
As to The Moody Blues, I spent a lot of time with the first few discs and then got bored to death of them before most of you were born. Saw them a few years ago in Austin and was struck by the identical structure of each tune...always building to mind numbing bombast. Bought Days Of Future Passed in DTS last year (after not really hearing it for the last 35 years) and was embarrassed by how much of it sounded like Leroy Anderson.
Someone sneered at the Michael Jackson choices. Get a clue, Michael was a great talent, don't make the mistake of mixing up personalities with what's in the grooves. Be it Sinatra, The Dixie Chicks, Liberace or the strange boy with the lipstick in his mugshot, you'll just get all confused.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
i mean, simply the fact that 'Straight Outta Compton' was ranked higher than a classic like 'Houses of the Holy' or even 'OK Computer' makes me want to vomit in a bag and mail it to them.
I know, how could they put some of that nasty rap music on the list.

DavidLW

Stunt Coordinator
The Motown sound seems to be very under represented in this list. Where's Diana Ross and the Supremes, Four Tops, Temptations and the likes. Barry Gordy must still have a lot of enemies.

What!!! No Santana

And if they're going to include Jazz (Miles and Coltrane) and Blues (Waters) why are there only a hand full of those albums. Surely they could have gotten rid of Janet Jackson to make room for another Jazz album.

"I know, how could they put some of the nasty rap music on the list"
Rap Music is an Oxymoron (sp)

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Speaking of rap, where was A Tribe Called Quest's brilliant "The Low End Theory"? Arguably the best rap/hip-hop album ever produced.

And Rachael thanks for pointing out the missing Marshall Crenshaw.

John_Bonner

Supporting Actor
I know I'm a huge Rush fan but without "Moving Pictures" this list is baseless. Lee, Lifeson & Peart are 3 of the most influential rock musicians of the last 25 years.

Progressive rock gets the shaft again...
Exactly. No Genesis, Kansas, Rush, Styx, Queensryche

Other rock omissions:

Heart - Greatest Hits Live
Eric Johnson - Ah Via Musicom
Boston - Boston
Counting Crows - August and Everything After
Live - Throwing Copper
Pat Benatar - Crimes of Passion
Spin Doctors - Pocketful of Kryptonite
Steve Winwood - Back in the High Life

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks