What's new

Rollerball: R-Rated? (1 Viewer)

David Illingworth II

Second Unit
What's the word? DVDshrine has the cover, and it doesn't say anything about being R-Rated on it. Surely MGM is planning on released the R version.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
This movie had "R-rated DVD Release" tagged on it as soon as they went back to the editing room. If they don't release it in an R-rated version, they will have so completely botched this film in so many aspects that it will require serious effort to sink lower.

Ivan Berisic

Stunt Coordinator
The DVD will definitely contain the R-rated version. The MPAA re-rated it about two weeks ago - Rated R for violence, nudity and some language.

Jeremy Conrad

Supporting Actor
Yea, the official specs label it as "R-rated". I guess that's what they consider a "special edition" as the disc only has a MTV Diary, music video, and trailers.
Link Removed

Mike_Skill

Stunt Coordinator
Actually, the S.E. specs include:

Commentaries with the actors, "The Stunts of Rollerball" featurette, an interactive yearbook, Rob Zombie music video, trailers and a bunch more. Over 90 minutes of extras!

Jeremy Conrad

Supporting Actor
That's not what the product info sheet from MGM says:

MPAA Rating: R

Release Year: 2001

Color Mode: COLOR

Special Features:

·MTV Diary of Rebecca Romijn-Stamos

·Music Video

·Original Theatrical Trailer

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
I watched a special on MTV about Rebecca Stamos and they actually showed her and other actors recording a commentary for Rollerball.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Not that it matters much, but I'm guessing that MGM wasn't too interested in including both versions.
As for me, I'm quite curious to see the R-rated version - which is why I skipped this one entirely in theaters last month. :)

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
how much was cut out of the r rrated verson
What was edited (just to name a few):

- Plot, lots of plot.

- Rebecca's nudity is blurred out.

- A scene which a Rollerball player is hit with the "Rollerball" sweat comes out from him, but in the R-Rated cut, it's blood.

- The whole finale was hacked to shreads.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
Why isn't anyone complaning that they can't have the original theatrical cut as well? :laugh:
I caught this one last week, and its not just a train-wreck - its about a 10 train pile up with no survivors. I'm still not sure how the R-rated cut could help, epecially in the sales department.
Was there any word on a commentary track with John McTiernan? I would actually like to hear his take on the film, and what in god's name was that nightvision scene all about?

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
"Hello, my name is John McTiernan, and this is the commentary for Rollerball."
"I'm sorry"
"I'm sorry"
"Come to think of it, the supplied drinking water did taste funny."
"I'm not actually sure what I was thinking there."
(to guys in recording booth)
"You guys wanna cue up Die Hard instead?....No?...Damn."

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Oh, Rollerball the remake. I want my eight bucks back. Unless the R-rated DVD has twenty minutes of added material thats worth watching like: LL Cool J eating a living baby octopus, James Cann in a one-on-one rollerball derby with Klein. and John McTiernan in the commentary track should either A. Fall asleep and snore loudly , or B. Shout "What have I done!" and commit honorable seppuku to save face for MGM.

Anthony Thorne

Supporting Actor
Poor John McTiernan - EATERS OF THE DEAD is finished, then re-edited by Michael Crichton over the course of a year or more, then released as THE THIRTEENTH WARRIOR to an underwhelming response. ROLLERBALL is finished, then reworked a little, then previewed and hastily censored down to an even more underwhelming PG-13 rating. Can't the guy ever catch a break?

Don't laugh - here are probably dozens of directors who look at events like this in grim silence, thinking "..there but for the grace of God...". A recent interview with Harvey Weinstein in an Australian newspaper had this exchange:

"When you see the street fight during the opening 5 minutes of GANGS OF NEW YORK, you'll know that Miramax hasn't lost its edge".

Scorsese (interjecting quickly): "Maybe the opening 15 minutes - I haven't finished editing it yet..."

The article went on to mention how Scorsese and Weinstein had been having lengthy arguments over the final cut, with Scorsese becoming enraged enough to throw a phone through an office window at one point whilst Weinstein walked off to another meeting. When asked about this incident, Scorsese quietly replied with a resigned smile "I'm not very good with phones...".

I dread to think of what John Woo's WINDTALKERS will be like when it finally opens.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Hey! Do you think MGM will also release the SE of the ORIGINAL?
I mean, it's already out in the UK and australia. Anamorphic, commentaries...
:) D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks