What's new

Roger Ebert reviewing again in 2007 (Passed Away: See Post #158) (1 Viewer)

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
Posted April, 2007:

Not to sound crude or insensitive, but...........6 months tops.
It just seems like that's always the way it is with celebs. It's always "Doing just fine" and then...gone within months.
So...any hot stock picks? /img/vbsmilies/htf/biggrin.gif
Jon

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
WTH, why'd you do that.
I saw this and thought that's it.
sheesh.
/img/vbsmilies/htf/mad.gif

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Roger's fans will want to read a profile in the March 2010 ESQUIRE.
Leonardo DiCaprio is on the cover.
This excellent piece, written by Chris Jones, is one you really should not miss.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
^ between roger and kevin smith it almost looks like they're competing to tweet the most on my twitter home page.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Thanks for pointing to that article. Impressive and shocking.

Quote in the article from Roger Ebert:
I believe that if, at the end of it all, according to our abilities, we have done something to make others a little happier, and something to make ourselves a little happier, that is about the best we can do. To make others less happy is a crime. To make ourselves unhappy is where all crime starts. We must try to contribute joy to the world. That is true no matter what our problems, our health, our circumstances. We must try. I didn't always know this, and am happy I lived long enough to find it out.

A few years ago, when learning about his condition, I started to buy each and every book title of Ebert. Why?

First of all because I thoroughly liked his work, I don't need to agree with every one of his conclusions, but it's always an intellectual joy to read his texts. Just an example: my son and I often quote to each other from the article "Your Movie Sucks", which is hilarious.

Secondly, I remembered how often I glanced through his reviews, using them as an aid to decide which movies to buy on the media, and how useful and valuable that has been to me - totally for free. Not to mention the sheer intellectual pleasure.

I hoped (and hope) he will benefit from actual sales of his books, and in that case he fully deserves my contribution. And after all, it's not a bad sale for me either! So I'm now a proud owner of almost all of Roger Ebert's work, as far as it was published in books.

Cees

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Ebert responds to the Esquire profile
Man, that photo is shocking. It's amazing how much our jaws define our faces. Ebert's condition reminds me of an old man with his dentures out, only so much more extreme.
Back in November I asked him if he'd have started his blog if his last reconstructive surgery had taken. He replied: "The blog would have happened sooner, but now it has become necessary to my sanity, almost." It's sort of poetic, in a depressing sort of way; one of the great writers of our generation now communicates almost exclusively through his writing. His disability has made him a sharper, and far more prolific writer.
Read one of his reviews from the 1980s and read one of his reviews from today. You'll note that his writing was far less dynamic, far more critical, and socially more naive. Many of the things that appalled him back then either thrill him, amuse him, or bore him today. One of the great joys of rogerebert.com is the opportunity to explore the evolution of an important writer over more than 40 years worth of writing.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Roger's been through a helluva lot and has kept right on going. Hang in there buddy!

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I wish him the best. I have discovered many, many great films based solely on his glowing reviews. For that I am greatful.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I rarely read Roger's reviews any more before seeing a movie, since he seems to love spoilers, but when I think of movie reviews, the first image in my mind is still Roger and Gene up on that balcony.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks