What's new

Roger Ebert reviewing again in 2007 (Passed Away: See Post #158) (1 Viewer)

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Adam Lenhardt said:
A new review from Roger Ebert has just popped up on his website:
The Queen
I'm going to take that as a good sign.
Umm...that's a link to a review of a movie with the same title released in 1969. :) I thought Roger Ebert had taken a few puffs from the magic pipe when he wrote the review (especially with the year listed at the top of the review), then I found out that it was the wrong movie.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
My bad. I guess they haven't posted the new one yet.

One thing I find interesting is that I posted his previous statement on August 18th, yet according to this post:
They stabilized me, operated on me to deal with the arteries, kept me sedated to avoid disturbing the affected areas -- and then I essentially spent July and August completely out of it. I remember only fragmentary episodes.

In September, my bleeding hazards stabilized, I came off sedation to find I had lost track of two months of my life, and starred in several prayer vigils for which I am eternally grateful to my wife and tower of strength, Chaz; my family and friends, and the many clergy who came to see me.
My question is, if he was in a semi-concious state until early September, who the hell wrote the "full disclosure" column?

Charlie Kaus

Agent
Man I hope he gets better soon. There is no beeter film critic out there. Some of my earliest memories are sitting on my dad's lap watching Sneak Previews. I was explaining to my wife tonight how originally Siskel and Ebert were just a local show on the Chicago PBS station Channel 11. It just mushroomed from there. She had no idea about that. Has anyone on these boards ever met Mr. Ebert?

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Jesus.

Not to sound crude or insensitive, but...........6 months tops.

It just seems like that's always the way it is with celebs. It's always "Doing just fine" and then...gone within months.

Hopefully, I'm wrong.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
It's been a long, tough road for him since what happened. As bad as he looks there, I'm sure he looked much worse a couple months ago. Much of what looks so bad is do to the absense of a major part of his jaw, too. If they can get that replaced, he should both be able to speak and look better (though probably still not great). I'd love for him to get back to writing regularly again though; don't need a jaw for that. I always looked forward to his reviews more than his show, anyway.
While still pretty bad, he's more recognizable in this photo:
http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/3...img3.fullimage

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
I'm optimistic too. He's showing a lot of courage showing up at his film festival this weekend. As much as I enjoy his television appearances, it's his writing I miss the most. His Movie Home Companion books have always been staples in my house.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
The surgery he underwent is one that, to be honest, is a real deforming surgery. I am kind of surprised he looks as good of a condition as he is in, as many come through that procedure looking as though they have been mangled. (I've worked in a retirement community, I've seen it) My the road rise to him on his journey. His writing has always made me laugh, and even when I disagreed, I always felt as though he wrote thoughtfully and in a way that I could understand his opinion.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member
Well judging by the statement in that link he still sounds like the same Roger Ebert to me so I'm hopeful that he'll be able to come back to writing in larger capacity.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Ugh he looks terrible :frowning:. But he is here at least, and hopefully for a long time :emoji_thumbsup:.
--
H

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
They just had an extended interview with him and his wife on Chicago's ABC affiliate. Once you get past his physical appearance compared to how we're used to seeing him, I thought he was great. Sitting there with his legs crossed, writing responses on a paper tablet for his wife to read. He was shown walking around the hotel room without any assistance. Very encouraging to say the least. :emoji_thumbsup:

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Sure hope he's doing well. It has to be a rough time for him and his family. Communicating by writing is not easy (ask the family of any deaf person). He has my best wishes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks