What's new

Rodgers & Hammerstein Anamorphic Remasters Anytime Soon? (1 Viewer)

SteveP

Second Unit
The Oscar Hammerstein script for the original CINDERELLA is said to be far superior to the re-written remakes, and Julie Andrews' performance, according to those who have seen all three versions, blows away those of Leslie Ann Warren and poor little Brandy.
Wish the R and H Organization would get it together to release the original on video, whatever the quality of the kinescope.

DeeF

Screenwriter
I actually adore the Leslie Ann Warren version, the one I knew as a child. I watch it a lot on DVD, and I cry every time. It's a wonderful property, even if Julie is better.

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
The much longed for Julie Andrews kinescope version has been floating
around for years in private collections.
I have seen it look pretty good (as seen in
documentary film clips in SOUND OF MUSIC FROM FACT TO PHENOMENON and RODGERS AND HAMMERSTEIN THE SOUND OF MOVIES)
and
i have seen it look atrocious (as in the copy that
was at the Museum of Television and radio in NYC for years..dont know if they have a newer better one now).

Yes, the above posters are right it was BROADCAST
in color, but the kinescope film is in black and white.

As one of the most sought after things on video,
i think it could be a success if released on dvd...
flaws and all.

As for the rest of the films of R and H shows:

FOX PLEASE REVISIT THESE TITLES.
They have never failed to be best sellers in all formats.

Greg_M

Screenwriter
"Cinderella" was broadcast in color - live and was NOT recorded. The Black and White telecast which was used for the West Coast broadcast is all that survives. Judging from the Black and White version it is easy to see why Jack Warner passed on Julie Andrews for his 1964 film. Too bad tv didn't allow her to look prettier.

Jefferson, Re: "R&H Sound of Movies" DVD - any clue who the actors are in the "Sound of Music" screen test with Captain Von Trapp and Maria doing the something good scene?

SteveP

Second Unit
In her early sixties appearences on the Ed Sullivan show (promoting the Broadway production of CAMELOT), Julie performs "Wouldn't It Be Loverly" in costume without that heavy 1950's lipstick and looks quite lovely.
The stories that have come down over the years seem to indicate that there was no way that Jack Warner was going to cast her, wanting some box office insurance for his huge seventeen million dollar investment.
In later years even Audrey Hepburn said that Andrews should have been cast, but she knew that Warner wasn't going to do that, perhaps going with Elizabeth Taylor, who, quite irrationally, wanted the part, if Audrey turned it down.

DeeF

Screenwriter
Greg,

Not sure what screen test you're referring to.

In The Sound of Movies, several screen tests are shown for the Sound of Music, all for the children. One of the tests shown is Kim Darby, for Liesl. Another person tested for Liesl, I know, was Mia Farrow.

Other than these, there are no other screen tests or scenes with other actors. Julie Andrews was picked by watching screenings of unreleased Mary Poppins (where I think she looks beautiful, that Edwardian costume really helps her).

They do show photos of actors considered for the roles in other films: James Dean and Paul Newman were considered for Curly in Oklahoma!, Frank Sinatra famously was cast as Billy Bigelow in Carousel, but walked out after one day of shooting, and Judy Garland was briefly considered for Julie in Carousel.

I'm very glad that Audrey did My Fair Lady, because she's very good in it, even with the dubbing, and now we've got two different kinds of performances, Audrey in the film, and Julie, on record, to compare.

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
I know what you are talking about Greg...
in the supplement to the DVD edition of R AND H
SOUND OF THEIR MOVIES...the something good scene
is done by Keith Michell (who was a london musical
star..he did MAN OF LA MANCHA...did some bway too, notably IRMA LA DOUCE)...but i dont know who
the blonde is playing Maria in that test...they say who she is, but i cant recall.

HAAA..talk about off topic,
sorry guys.

DeeF

Screenwriter
I dragged out the disk for "The Sound of Movies."

I never knew all those screentests were on there! They're really buried.

They never do say the name of the actress that plays with Keith Michell. She reminds me of the mother, Mrs. McAfee, in Bye Bye Birdie.

Mia Farrow was simply awful though. I liked Kim Darby.

Here's an interesting tidbit. One of the "Rolf"s auditioning was somebody named Danny Lochin. I think it's the same person as Danny Lockin, who plays Barnaby in Hello, Dolly! Lockin was viciously, horribly murdered in the 70s.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks