What's new

ROD SERLING'S NIGHT GALLERY!!!!! (1 Viewer)

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
it would be great news if it was true. I have S1/S2 and love the show. I like to pickup twilight zone when it comes down in price in Canada. There was a good deal for twilight Zone from Amazon.com but did not have the budget for the purchase.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
TV Shows on DVD has made it official, with package art.
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Night-Gallery-Season-3/16369
I have to hand it to Universal... in 2005-2006, they seemed to be the worst company out there as far as abandoning shows. But, between licensing deals and glacier slow release schedules, most of those shows we all thought of as abandoned have made it to DVD.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Amazing to think that it took just under EIGHT YEARS for a three season title to get completed on DVD. "Night Gallery" S1 was the first title in Universal's ballyhooed roll-out of it's classic TV catalog way, way back in August 2004, which was a time when before that, the only three vintage titles they had released were "Battlestar Galactica", S1 of "Baretta" (to exploit the Robert Blake trial, which is why it's remained unfinished ever since) and two "Incredible Hulk" sets. And then, all the expectations for what Universal would do landed like a thud the next year when after a spate of first season releases, only a small number got to a second release in the short-term.
We had a wait of four solid years to get S2, complete with bells and whistles treatment. Now it will have been three years and six months since the release of S2 that S3 finally comes, and evidently in bare-bones treatment, but at this point that's fine by me!
This now leaves two other 70s Universal titles that need just one more season to get completed and which they have not licensed out: "Hardy Boys" and "Baa Baa Black Sheep".

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Just wondering - have any of the lost episodes from season 2 been found during the intervening time? That would be great extras for the season 3 set.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
So COOL we finally have a date for the FINAL SEASON! Yeah I wish they could find those remaining lost episodes someplace.. even if they come at a later date they could always issue a single disc set of the LOST EPISODES at a reasonable price.

Pre-ordered ASAP Was thinking of this while I spotted Season 5 of Alfred Hitchcock Presents at my local TARGET today and picked it up!

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
People... they aren't missing "episodes". They're missing SEGMENTS! Its a trio of comedy black out sketches that only take up about 15 minutes total.

And technically only one of them was part of the series to being with!

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Refresh my memory, which were the segments they left out. I still have my 80s tapes from syndication somewhere which I'm sure have those missing segments on them.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
The back of the second season box states, "Included within are 22 episodes from Season 2, but having disappeared into the dark wings of the Night Gallery are portions of the episode, "Satisfaction Guaranteed", and the lost story "Witches Feast", where they lie waiting to be re-discovered."

Robbie S

Auditioning
Real Name
Robbie S
I'm not an expert on this topic, but read this:
http://www.nightgallery.net/index.html?title.html&0
It sounds like "Satisfaction Guaranteed" was in the set.
I e-mailed the operators of that website to see if they knew if Season 3 would include "Witches Feast." They said that it is included, and they didn't know why Universal didn't highlight that fact in the press release.

John Stell

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Stell
Here are the bonus contents on the Season 3 set which were posted on the Night Gallery Yahoo Group by one of the co-authors of the Night Gallery Companion.

"Okay, "pain of death" is no longer a concern, according to Jim. In fact, our
Universal masters don't seem to be terribly concerned about further intelligence
leaks. So, Jim and I can elucidate the extras on this third release without
further concern. So here's what you get, aside from transfers of all the 15
episodes of Season 3:
A bunch of Season 2 extras:
"Witches' Feast" as it originally played in the broadcast version. The print
looks stunning, gorgeous. Wish it was funnier....
Two syndication-only segments, "Die Now, Pay Later" and "Room for One Less" with
as much of the syndication footage removed as we could manage, since we couldn't
locate original footage for these two. We also laid in different music tracks,
from the second-season cue library, to make them more Gallery-like. We think
they look and sound 100 percent better.
Also, we have reconstructed "Little Girl Lost" to its full glory, with the six
extra minutes of cutting-room-floor footage used in the syndication version, to
try and recreate Sanford Whitmore's teleplay as accurately as possible.
We have assembled all these parts together into one episode--essentially, it's
the 23rd "lost episode" of the second season--bookended with the NG main title
and a newly created end credits sequence, plus the commercial bumper (with the
leering faces) from the second season at the mid-episode mark.
On top of that, we have offered two commentaries: one for the newly created
"lost episode," to try and explain our rationale in the reconstruction, and for
the "Return of the Sorcerer" episode.
Enjoy, fans. We (and Universal's staff minions) took extraordinary pains to
deliver these gems to you. I sincerely hope you appreciate them.
S."

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
ChrisALM said:
The back of the second season box states, "Included within are 22 episodes from Season 2, but having disappeared into the dark wings of the Night Gallery are portions of the episode, "Satisfaction Guaranteed", and the lost story "Witches Feast", where they lie waiting to be re-discovered."
So what exactly is the deal with the "Satisfaction Guaranteed" episode?

Richard Kaufman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Kaufman
Great news to hear all the pains that have been taken with Season 3 in terms of adding the stuff that was missing or incomplete from Season 2. The comedy vignettes are "dire" (as the Brits would say) and no great loss . But the restorations are important from a historical point of view. Can't wait to see "Little Girl Lost."
While not related to Night Gallery ... I've been watching the blu-rays of The Twilight Zone that amazon offered for $152 as a deal of the day recently (all five seasons). The new material, bumpers and commercials, are terrific--but seeing Rod Serling smoking and whoring for Oasis brand cigarettes just pisses me off no end, since he died of heart disease likely caused by the smoking. He missed home video by just a few years and it's painful to imagine all that he could have given us had he lived to see the expansion of the format.

Robbie S

Auditioning
Real Name
Robbie S
Neil Brock said:
Neil, the link I posted will explain it all better than I can. From http://www.nightgallery.net/index.html?title.html&0 in the "Night Gallery on DVD Section"
Confusion has already risen over a pair of reportedly missing second-season vignettes, claimed by Universal in a September 19 news release and then reported on the www.tvshowsondvd.com website: "Despite a long and intensive search, Universal was not able to locate portions of the 40-year-old episode 'Satisfaction Guaranteed' and the story 'Witches' Feast' to include on the upcoming Night Gallery Season Two DVD set."
This is only partially true. First, a little background is needed to explain the reason for this confusion.
When the second episode of season two was first broadcast on September 22, 1971, it ran with the following lineup of stories: "A Death in the Family," "The Merciful," "Class of '99," and "Witches' Feast" (the final segment was a five-minute vignette). When the second episode was rebroadcast in its first rerun showing on March 22, 1972, "Witches' Feast" had been replaced by a different vignette, the five-minute "Satisfaction Guaranteed," and the main titles and end credits had been altered to reflect the change in cast and crew members.
When the butchered, half-hour syndication version of Night Gallery was prepared by Universal in 1973, both "Witches' Feast" and "Satisfaction Guaranteed" were included in the run (the former was padded with a seven-second stock shot of a castle). In addition, two other vignettes were included that were filmed during the production of the second season but never broadcast: the brief vignette "Room for One Less" and the somewhat longer "Die Now, Pay Later," which was expanded with a great deal of superfluous footage.
Fast-forward seventeen years. In 1990, Universal prepared new masters for the original broadcast version of Night Gallery. When studio minions mastered the second episode of season two, they used the March 22, 1972, rebroadcast of that episode, the one with "Satisfaction Guaranteed" in place of "Witches' Feast." When they finished, the three relatively minor vignettes - "Witches' Feast," "Room for One Less," and "Die Now, Pay Later" - were omitted from that mastering.
Fast-forward another eighteen years. In the spring and summer of 2008, Universal prepared the second season of Night Gallery for a DVD release. They contacted Jim and me to help with some of the bonus features, and we suggested they try to locate original cuts for the three "lost" vignettes (and unknown to us, Universal's master of the second episode was listed as including "Witches' Feast," not "Satisfaction Guaranteed," so they assumed they already had the former). In the end, the folks at Universal had searched and searched, finding no original cuts of the vignettes, then discovered that "Witches' Feast" was not on their mislabeled master and that an episode segment titled "Satisfaction Guaranteed" (which Jim and I had never mentioned to them) was in its place. Clocking in at five minutes and three seconds, no one at Universal was sure whether it was even complete (it was).
Intending to be as truthful and up-front as possible, Universal minions changed the front of the DVD box from reading "The Complete Second Season" to, simply, "Season Two" and composed liner notes for the back of the box that included an admission that they could not find "Witches' Feast" and portions of "Satisfaction Guaranteed." Unfortunately, the truth of the situation was not discovered until after the liner notes were printed, so this error will remain in the text on the DVD set.
If Season Two sells well and a release for Season Three is scheduled, perhaps these second-season vignette omissions can be redressed (and Season Three is going to need all the help it can get, since it contains only 15 half-hour episodes - roughly six-and-a-half hours of content).

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Thanks for the posting!
I have S1/S2 on dvd and love Night Gallery. Night Gallery had some amazing episodes, like Tim Riley's bar or deliveries at the rear or vampire asking he can make a withdrawl or bill bixby's episodes of the druids, etc.
I am looking forward to this released and hope this means other shows that universel has only one season left, like Baa Baa Black Sheep

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Originally Posted by Neil Brock /t/248904/rod-serlings-night-gallery/30#post_3885390

After reading the link from John (thanks for posting), apparently nothing is missing from Satisfaction Guaranteed. I did not realize all of the details, but it looks like we are going to get the rest of the series in as best condition as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks