What's new

Rock & Roll Movies NOT on DVD in any Region (1 Viewer)

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Will we ever see authorized releases of Riot On Sunset Strip, Up The Junction, Mondo Mod, It's Trad Dad!, Out Of Sight, Hold On!, Get Yourself A College Girl, Wild Wild Winter, When The Boys Meet The Girls, Mrs. Brown You've Got A Lovely Daughter, Smashing Time, Winter A-Go-Go, A Swinging Summer, Wild Youth, Go Go Mania, Teenage Rebellion, Untamed Youth, etc?

Something Weird Video has been putting out a lot of mondo films and obscuro b grade teen exploitation and beach monster sixties genre stuff along with smaller companies like Troma, Hens Tooth and the usual p.d. names like Image, Madacy, etc. Most of the big schlock producers are fairly well represented and the AIP films have been made available in some form over the years with many more titles in R2 land, including recent releases of Catch Us If You Can, Pop Gear and Gonks Go Beat.

What about some of the better known films above?

I especially want an authorized and licensed release of Riot On Sunset Strip, man!

Where are the distro rights? Who owns these titles and how come sites like the Video Beat are able to get away with selling poor quality video dubs?

Is there hope for these films on DVD?

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
I hope for Riot on Sunset Strip to be a part of the Midnite Movie line with Mary Jane.

Bob Graham

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Graham
Anchor Bay released SMASHING TIME a few years ago. I think it's out of print now.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Let's not forget that No Nukes is still not on DVD, despite having had a VHS and a CED release many years back.

There are a bunch of great concert videos that have never migrated to DVD: Bob Dylan's 30th Anniversary Concert Celebration, Bob Dylan & Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers: Hard To Handle (might have been an R4 release), Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers: Pack Up The Plantation Live! - and - Take The Highway. The list goes on.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Here we are more than a year later and No Nukes still is not on DVD, nor on the horizon, as far as I can tell. Anyone have any further info? Like who the rightsholders are? Can't remember who issued the VHS back in the day. The soundtrack was finally issued on CD in '98 by Elektra (a Warner company).

Also, was the T.A.M.I. Show ever released on DVD?

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
As a tremendous fan of 80s music, I've always wanted to see "URGH! A Music War!", but that has never been released on DVD...At least officially. Bootlegs can be found, but I want something legitimate. Used copies fetch up to 50 dollars at least...I would prefer something cheaper and more compact.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Hell, I'd settle for a release with only a trailer as an extra.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
The number one teen b-movie I would like to see (possibly in a future Midnite Movies release if that ever happens again) is It's a Bikini World shot in CinemScope from 1967 with Tommy Kirk and sexy Deborah Walley; a refreshing change from the Frankie/Annette lead!

It's a really fun b-grade beach flick of it's time, and the coolest and most memorable aspect for me, is the fab location filming of mid-Sixties LA. Especially the interior shots of The Haunted House Club on Hollywood Blvd! The bands (mostly) were filmed in L.A.'s Haunted House Club, which has a stage decorated with old horror movie props that looks more like a set from a Coney Island amusement park ride than a dance club, all the while foxy go-go dancers are frugging up-front during the songs!

The performances are what really make the film though! In addition to the Gentrys miming along to their ultra rockin' "Spread It On Thick" single, you get The Castaways doing a great lipsynch to "Liar, Liar," The Animals in The Haunted House Club doing "We've Gotta Get Out of This Place", great girl group The Toys doing "Attack" and Pat & Lolly Vegas playing their solid Mercury 45, "Walk On".

I wish MGM would make this one available in it's proper and rarely seen aspect ratio, instead of some of the stupid counterculture 60s junk like Gas-s-s-s or whatever other lesser schlock they've dumped out. This really deserves to be in the Midnite Movies line!

Also, not quite in the same vein at all but I would really like to see "Don't Make Waves" (1967) with Tony Curtis and Claudia Cardinale released to DVD. Which studio owns the rights to this one, is it MGM as well (I think)?

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
The Tami show was listed as coming out ,but still no word

Most of the time the Music rights make releasing music titles imposible
thank God for Bootlegs

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I don't think it would be so difficult to license a few mostly obscure song titles from 40+ years ago for releases like this. I could understand anthology style movies consisting exclusively of pop music performances... but a few songs from relatively non-remembered groups for a DVD release which wouldn't require much more effort than that? I say it's more than probably do-able.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member

It is an interesting film.

Sundance Channel and VH1 Classics seem to show it a few times a year.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
While I too would like to see some of the above mentioned stuff released, the intent of this topic is not to discuss concert films, but b-movies (teen exploitation, beach movies, surf/biker flicks, etc) that should be out on DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks