What's new

RoboCop (Blu-ray) release on Ocober 9, 2007 (2 Viewers)

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
The unrated cut was all I was really pushing for. I don't care for most bonus materials anymore. So, woo-hoo on it being the unrated cut! :emoji_thumbsup:

I do hear that the new commentary is quite good. Hopefully that will make it to the BD at lhe very least.

Will*B

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Will
What is the problem with putting the extras on there?!?! $40 for a 25gb disc with no extras.... Absolutely pathetic. The new transfer and unrated cut are appreciated, but WHY aren't the extras included?!

They need to start seriously getting a grip and stop making us early adopters feel like 2nd Class citizens. (Same goes for this ridiculous Live Free or Die Hard unrated debacle).

ryoohki

Auditioning
Real Name
Jean S Sullivan

Yeah do just that, i've seen the MPEG 2 remaster of the Rated Version last year on TV, it's look awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!! you could see all the cables that hung the rocket at the end LOL!

Extra are cool and all, but when they are not in HD, they are kinda useless.. imho..

While the MSRP is VERY HIGH SUCK for a catalog title, i'am gonna import it from Amazon.com for 24.80$... while it will be stuck at 39.99$ in FUTURESHOP LOL!!!!!

Nick Graham

Screenwriter

The extras on the new 2 disc SD release from Fox are actually great stuff, though, and I would be surprised if they weren't ashot in high def. Even if they weren't, they are still a lot of fun (there's a featurette that brings back most of main villains to talk about the movie in particular that is great).

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Unrated cut is great news.

Really disappointed with no extras. WTF MGM?!!

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
While I really want this film, this is one I will not buy sight unseen. I will wait for the reviews and hope for the best.

Ammended. After reading the list of special features...
I will pass. As much as I would like this release, 40.00 for a stripped down release is absolutly insulting. With friends like Fox, DB certainly does not need enemies.

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
While I don't have a blu player yet, I expect to have one probably by new year, so am keeping a watchful eye on BD discs of films I am interested in.

And I love Robocop.

I really do find it hard to believe that on standard DVD, the extras-laden Steelbook 2-disc set retails for only $22.98, yet for $40 BD supplies a trailer. This ensures a double-dip, and also ensures that when I get a BD player, I will pass on this until either the price dips or the "blu special edition" is releases.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

So, there are no Blu-ray Disc productions problems, eh? Yeah, riiiiggghhhht.

Clearly this is speculation, but I think it is informed speculation. Paramount pretty much alluded to it as one of their major reasons for going HD DVD exclusive, Sony has gotten really quiet since Fox announced their titles, now there are rumors Fox's offerings are being pared back, and the extras that are getting dropped left and right are releases that are ending up as BD-25s more often than not. This is surely more than mere coincidence.

Edited to add:

My apologies if the admins find this comment bordering on format war talk outside the appropriate threads. However, it is really hard for me to give my opinion of why we're seeing certain things happening related to this and other BD titles without knocking said format.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
what was worse, the first Fifth Element transfer or the first RoboCop transfer?

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
I don't really need the extras, but they should drop the price since there aren't any.

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
I am sooooo glad I bought the 20th ann SE version a few weeks ago. The extras are awesome - 3 new featurettes, some old ones and a great commentary. Plus, both versions of the film are included. Fox is so stupid for not putting these extras on the BD version.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Per High-Def Digest:

'RoboCop' Blu-ray Gets New Transfer, But No Extras

• 1080p/AVC MPEG-4
• English DTS-HD Lossless Master
• Theatrical Trailer

Wrote this on another thread, but I'll repeat it here as it applies:

My personal dream has always been to "own the movie" - in the most pristine-form-possible. i.e. To be able to see an exact duplicate of the film & sound, anytime I desire.

I will pay for just the movie without complaints, as long as it has the best HD video quality and lossless audio quality that any format technology can muster.:cool:

:rolleyesStill, it would have been nice to have all the HD & SD supplements.

Paul

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

Eh? I don't partake in the format war threads around here (adult conversations about the topic aren't possible, at least on the internet), but was I part of a discussion with you debating production problems that I'm not aware of? :confused: I seriously don't recall.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

No, Jim, you were not, and I wasn't taking a shot at you even though now that I re-read what I wrote combined with quoting you I can understand why you would think that. You merely wondering why they were dropping the extras, and I decided to use the question as an opportunity to put forth my hypothesis based on some recent observations that I've made.

Jon Moss

Stunt Coordinator
They're really not providing convincing reasons to upgrade from DVD with these bare bones movie only releases. Robocop is one of the most re-issued titles along with Evil Dead, T2, Total Recall etc and all they can muster is a BD25 release!

Someone looking to upgrade to HD from DVD sees the packed 2 disc DVD release with copious extras on Amazon for $14.99, and the movie only Blu-ray version for £27.95, almost twice the price. How is this an example of the studios convincing the consumer to go for HD?

To rub salt into the wounds, the BD50 discs were one of the main selling points of Blu-ray. Now more than a year into HD, they can't even muster a BD50 for one of the more popular releases..

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

While I understand your point, the (quality) 1080p-transfer is still the "main point" for many (most?) HD-fans.. But yes, dropping ALL the extras from this Blu-ray-release is very very disappointing. So this is 100% confirmed (extras, I mean)? Since e.g. The Fly will be packed with extras, even when it was first announced only to have just a few extras..

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor
A transfer in 1080p resolution is a basic requirement, one that every HD release on both competing formats has. It's impossible to justify what Fox has done. The disc format has the capacity, the extras exist - why not just include them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks