What's new

Robin Hood: Special Edition (2 Disc Set) (1 Viewer)

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I seem to remember hearing about some additional scenes between the Sheriff and witch being cut.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Has anyone heard anything new about the extra footage? I hope it's director-approved.

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
"Director Approved"? Heh, when talking about either Robin Hood or Waterworld, that term becomes a little bit of a joke. On BOTH films, Kevin Costner pulled some studio clout and re-cut Kevin Reynold's film. It was the "Battle of the Kevins", rounds one and two. You'd think Reynolds would have learned the first time, but no, he came back for more punishment. Both times he angrily abandoned the films at the point Costner demanded recuts. Both theatrical versions are in fact Costner's preferred cut.

-Lyle J.P.

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
Both theatrical versions are in fact Costner's preferred cut.
Okay, now I'm confused as this is news to me. But since Costner seemed to think much more of himself than he should have after the enormous success of DWW, I can't say that I'm surprised by your statement.

Based on what you said, exactly WHO'S cut is this special edition? Costner's or Reynold's? I briefly looked back through the thread and nothing really stood out as the answer to this (unless I missed it). I'd be more impressed if it's Reynold's, but then I would (as of now) be more inclined to see "Director's Edition", not "Special Edition".

So, is this SE project a Costner thing or a Reynold's thing?

Bill Burns

Supporting Actor
So, is this SE project a Costner thing or a Reynold's thing?
It's a Kevin thing. :) Sorry, I couldn't resist. But the list of participants in the commentary (as detailed earlier in the thread) only names one Kevin, and it isn't the guy behind the camera on this picture. Mayhap some lingering bad blood? The Dances With Wolves commentary reveals that Reynolds shot some second unit material for Costner on that picture, so ... well, it seems their careers are very symbiotic, and this may well be as much a Costner picture as anyone else's. Only they know. Even if Reynolds isn't involved, this still looks like a terrific set.

As a few of us mentioned on another thread -- hey, let's hope this bodes well for a Waterworld special edition in the near future! A different studio, of course, but a fascinating production history (and reportedly quite a bit of recutting, which might make for a nice seamless branching presentation).

I'm looking forward to seeing the new cut of Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves ... now if we only had Mel Brooks' Robin Hood: Men in Tights to sit beside it on the DVD rack ....

Brent_T

Auditioning
Courtesy of IGN:

Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves - Special Edition

March 25, 2003 - Another former-flipper DVD is being re-born in the form of a Special Edition from Warner, this time it's Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves on June 10th. Say what you will about Kevin Costner, but I really like this fun take on the Robin Hood legend; especially Alan Rickman as the Sheriff of Nottingham.

The new DVD will feature a 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen transfer with Dolby Digital 5.1 Audio in English and Dolby Surround in French (dubbed in Quebec) as well as a mono track. Cover art is not available yet, but here are the specs directly from Warner:

Commentaries by Kevin Costner, Morgan Freeman, Christian Slater, Writers/Producers Pen Densham and John Watson, Composer Michael Kamen.

"Robin Hood: The Man, The Myth, The Legend" Featurette.

One on one interviews with the cast.

Isolated Dolby Digital 5.1 score track (!!)

Bryan Adams Music Video.

3D Interactive Loop: "Weapons of the Time"

Publicity Gallery.

I'm sold just on the fact that it won't be a flipper, but the commentary and DD 5.1 isloated score is icing on the cake! Stay tuned for cover art.

http://dvd.ign.com/articles/390/390860p1.html

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
The ad in this weeks Entertainment Weekly also lists the director Kevin Reynolds as one of the participants of the "commentaries".

Whether it was recorded together with Costner or seperately remains to be seen. Perhaps they have mended their strained relationship.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
On BOTH films, Kevin Costner pulled some studio clout and re-cut Kevin Reynold's film.
I knew that had happened on Waterworld, but I didn't know to what extent it had happened on Robin Hood.

As a side note, the released version of 3000 Miles to Graceland was also Costner's cut. Apparently, Warners let both Costner and Kurt Russell make separate cuts, and went with Costner's more action-oriented version when it tested better. Apparently, the director welcomed the "help." At least that's what he said, anyway. Needless to say 3000 Miles was a mess of a movie, but that's a different topic. :D

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Good news, no flipper and Anamorphic 1.85:1, yippee!!

I like this movie alot, especially for Rickman and Freeman.

Matt Naglieri

Second Unit
Someone I know was able to take a look at the back of the box and noticed that it only says remastered soundtrack of Michael Kamen's score on disc 2. No mention of the 5.1 isolated track.

I suspect it may not have made it after all but I will know more tomorrow.

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
Peeps, I just got my copy and bugger me - the movie's in dts as well as DD!!! As the disc is coming from Morgan Creek (thru the WB) this isn't really a big surprise after the dts track on True Romance. I can't check the transfer quality or the extras until I get my tv back from repair today, but if there are any specific questions you guys want answered then I should be able to accomodate them after today!

But here are some things I discovered while blindy navigating the disc with my player hooked up to my amp so I can at least hear what's going on! The DD track is encoded at 448kbps, the dts at 768kbps. The Morgan Freeman, Christian Slater, Pen Densham and John Watson commentary appears to be edited together, while the Kevin Costner & Kevin Reynolds one is the two of them discussing the movie together - a bit of a coup there. The isolated score is not on disc one accompanying the movie. It looks as if it's being seperately presented on disc two a la the extra cues on the Superman dvd. I won't know any more until I get my sodding tv back. Robin Hood: PoT in dts baby!!

ZackR

Supporting Actor
DTS?? Really?? I am happy! I remember seeing this as one of the first movies I saw in the theatres without my parents. Just me and some friends. I know it has its flaws, but I am thrilled it is getting good treatment on DVD finally! Thanks Geoff for the information!

Zack

ThomasJB

Auditioning
Are there any reviews of this disk anywhere?

Mine's shipping from Canada today so I should get it by middle of next week, and it was listed as having DTS on the website I order from, but I assumed this was an error as it wasn't mention anywhere else.

What a fantastic bonus! :) :) :)

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
I'll be picking this one up! I was on the fence (the movie had its moments like Alan Rickman chewing through his scenes, but also many flaws), but the addition of a DTS track pushed me over. :D

Dan

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Geez, how about just posting some links next times? I pity the folks with slow connections who had to wade through all of those giant images...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks