What's new

Robin Hood, Sierra Madre, Yankee Doodle Dandy - 2 Disc Specs (1 Viewer)

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Oscar: Yes, I got that page, but it's either that or NOT get the DVD set! :D

I was expecting to pay £49.99 for this anyway, and it's only £33.99, so any cutoms charge isn't really going to bother me.

I have never been charged for a DVD before, so I'm confident that it will be okay.

Gordy

Bill Burns

Supporting Actor
Roger Ebert has just added The Adventures of Robin Hood to his Great Movies essay collection, and in it he mentions the new DVD and gives a few details concerning a new documentary to be included in the release:

The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938)

I couldn't agree more with his elegiacal, deeply affectionate reaction to the Three Strip Technicolor as displayed in the film ("They just don't make movies with this level of tonal saturation any more," Ebert quotes Damien Cannon), and remain on Technicolor tenterhooks to see what wonders WB et al have accomplished with this transfer (which they promised in one of their chats to be a step or two beyond the visual quality of the Singin' in the Rain SE). :emoji_thumbsup:

September 30 approaches none too quickly ....

Chicago residents should also note the theatrical presentation of a "newly restored 35mm Technicolor print" detailed at the bottom of the essay.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
I love the Singin' in the Rain SE and I'm sure I'll love Adventures of Robin Hood. I'd like to know what are some other similar Technicolor films, and whether or not WB is working on similar DVD restorations, or plans to.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
FYI...

Check out the Robin Hood trailer on the Casablanca: SE DVD. While I noticed a tiny bit of color fringing, the quality of the picture is stunning. If that's an indication of what the new DVD will look like (of course, with convergence fixed by Ultra-Resolution), we're in for a fantastic transfer.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Oscar; did you see that amazon.ca have a cheaper version of the set up for grabs now? With a $10 CAD off $50 currently doing the rounds it works out at around £24 delivered - worth the customs risk!

---
So many films, so little time...

Scott DeToffol

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott DeToffol
I'm really looking forward to this set. Yankee Doodle Dandy is one of my favorite movies, and I've never seen Robin Hood or Treasure of Sierra Madre, so I believe I'm in for a treat!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks