What's new

Robert's home theater (1 Viewer)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Ok, so after more than two years of permit frustration, I've finally started work on my HT. The room I'm working with was originally 15' x 20'. It was converted from a garage:

I decided to add a 16 foot extension to make it a 28 x 20 room, with three feet behind the far wall for an IB sub. Here's the original exterior:

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z...7/DSCF0498.jpg

Framing the addition:

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z...7/DSCF1667.jpg

Here's a view of the framed and insulated addition:

http://s188.photobucket.com/albums/z...t=DSCF1676.jpg

Here's a view looking towards the entrance and equipment closet:

http://s188.photobucket.com/albums/z...t=DSCF1677.jpg

I took my inspiration for the basic layout from Art Sonneborn's room. I really like the way he oriented his equipment closet to the entrance. After the contractor is done, a friend of mine who works in construction will help me with double drywalling the walls with GG, building the risers, etc. My plan is for three rows of three chairs.

Since I had to wait so long for the building permit, I had lots of time to lay out everything in Autocad. Here's a rendering I did:

http://s188.photobucket.com/albums/z...snoambient.jpg

I've spent years marveling at the amazing theaters many of you have built. The quality and quantity of information available on this sort of thing is truly remarkable, and I look forward to the day when I can enjoy what many of you have worked so hard to make come true.

Ennsio

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris
I think your links are wrong. Robert.

Here's the message I get when I click on any of them:

David Noll

Stunt Coordinator
Looks like a great start! Keep posting your progress.

Good luck with the work ahead,

David

AllMetalWeaver

Auditioning
Real Name
Jon
Looks great, but how high are your platforms? They look like they are over a foot high, I assume that they are since the usual height of each step is 6.5" to 7" and you have two steps for each platform. If so, that's pretty high, and I envy your ceiling height as I'm stuck with 7 foot ceilings.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
The risers are 15.5 inches above the lower level, which is what the AVS riser calculator came up with (and what I verified drawing sight lines in Autocad). My ceiling height is 8 feet 8 inches.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
It's been a while since I updated this thread. Here's a shot of the fabric frames I built based on the design in Greg Power's AVS thread, and a shot of the hung projector:

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It would be nicer if you copy/pasted the IMG tags to that your pictures would appear in the post.

-Robert

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
The latest install is an Infinite Baffle subwoofer. It consists of eight Soundsplinter RL-P15 15 inch woofers in a double line array. The "enclosure" is the entire front wall of the room, with three feet of space behind it. This, of course, is far larger than any commercial sub (size truly does matter with a subwoofer). I haven't have a chance to calibrate it or integrate it with the front speakers yet, but I have played a few CDs with it, and my initial impression is that it's easily the best subwoofer I've ever heard. The cones barely move on material that would cause quite a bit of excursion with a regular sub. It gives a great impression of ease:

Empirefan70

Agent
Real Name
Empire
Is that a Dyson vacuum cleaner? Image is bit on the dark side to see what is up front, but it looks impressive.

Okay then. One! Two! One! Two! Yeah looks like it will hold up to an earthquake!:D

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Here's a better view from the manufacturer's web site - Soundsplinter. It's not as impressive without something else in the picture. But I have seen the RL-p in person and know what it is capable of. Eight of them are insane. The guys in the Speaker forum talking about them SVS PB12+ don't have a clue.

-Robert

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, no commercial sub can come anywhere close to matching the enclosure size of an IB sub (or the cumulative air displacement capability). Look forward to seeing your setup. :)

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm going with a standard manifold design with a pair of 18's in each manifold. Between work, yard work and the Mississippi heat, work is not progressing like I want it to.

-Robert

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
800 Watts is plenty. According to the WinIsd model, I should be getting over 125 dB with 1600 watts (total). :)

Edit: Thanks for pointing me to that thread! Turns out the Behringer is a pretty good performer into 2 ohms, with only around 0.017 percent distortion at 20 Hz (I was afraid it would be higher). I'll take that and run with it, even if it can't do 1200 watts with a sine wave. :)

Empirefan70

Agent
Real Name
Empire
I’d put several DCX2496 at work in that set-up to prevent harmful dynamic range peaks, damaging the whole stack, use a bit of audio limiting.

So where are the matching fronts LCR I take it they’ll be behind the screen perforated or DIY screen transparent enough to allow the sound to pass though.

I’ve heard felt the hardest cinematic sub bass in the cinema and if 20KW isn’t enough than I don’t know what is.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I'm using the Behringer Feedback Destroyer for equalization. I don't really want to limit peaks....Soundsplinter rates ONE speaker for 500-1000 watts usage, so 800 watts into 4 should be fine. My LCR will not be hidden, they will be out front. You can't really hide this:

FF1 SRE (Special Ribbon Edition shown)

Frequency response: +0, -3dB 16Hz-40kHz; average THD 0.9%/1W drive

Driver complement: Two 12" carbon fiber woofers, 12'' slot-loaded, mass-loaded PR subwoofer; 52'' ribbon panel midrange, dual spiral ribbon tweeters.

Nominal impedance: 4 ohms

Sensitivity: 89dB/1W/1m

Recommended amplifier power: 350W RMS, 20W min

Performance: 115dB/1m SPL for 5% THD

Dimensions: 14 1/2''W x 68''H x 17 3/4''D plus the width of the ribbon panel

Weight: 375lbs

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks