What's new

Robert Harris on The Bits: The Alamo (1 Viewer)

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
I'm curious about this as well. I haven't seen The Alamo yet, but any film (especially one in 70mm) that needs support, albeit financially can get my help.

DrJohn

Auditioning
Real Name
John Maltby
I have only just discovered this forum and thread. It is great to know that this project is underway, but worrying to hear that it is not yet fully funded. I first saw the Alamo in 70mm on the big screen when I was 14 years old! It became an all time favourite of mine and is responsible for a lifetime's interest in film (especially "epics") and film music. I purchased the laser disc version in the 90s and, along with many other people, was disappointed when the incomplete DVD was released. It is most important to me to see the film in it's original form, particularly with the overture, intermission and exit music intact. After having read of the deterioration of the film since the roadshow version was discovered in Toronto, I did not think I would ever see a complete version again - that it may be available in blu-ray is just wonderful!!!

I really hope that funding can be found. As an individual, I would certainly be willing to contribute (an advance order for a limited edition blu-ray sounds a great idea.) Please keep up the good work Mr. Harris, and keep us posted on the funding situation. It would indeed be tragic if the project had to be abandoned.

John.

P.S.: the gap between this and the last post is also worrying! Is there no recent news?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The most recent news is that we're still seeking aid from corporate sponsors. Some limited funding has permitted the digital preservation of the original 6-track mix of the general release version. The audio quality is astounding.

RAH

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by John Hodson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's very encouraging to read that work has actually got underway.
Not necessarily underway. More in line with the first flight of the Wright Brothers -- touching down every 150 feet or so.

Mark Anthony

Second Unit
Mr Harris if the issue is with securing the funding, specifically corporate, surely the original idea of fan or public funding would be the way to go as it seemed as if there was a lot of public support and perhaps it would fill the shortfall...glad to hear that some of the more pressing parts of the restoration have been able to be started.

Best wishes

M

snoopy28574

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Stephen Batchelor
Is 8k equal in quality to 70mm ? I obtained information from this site before on digital restoration but am still confused about where the resolution tops out. I know the comparison to still shots does not tell the complete story but it looks like there is allot more resolution possible from a 35mm negative than 4k and even 8k if its a very good shot. Now 70mm must have more info to bear than 8k HD doesn't it ?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by snoopy28574 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is 8k equal in quality to 70mm ? I obtained information from this site before on digital restoration but am still confused about where the resolution tops out. I know the comparison to still shots does not tell the complete story but it looks like there is allot more resolution possible from a 35mm negative than 4k and even 8k if its a very good shot. Now 70mm must have more info to bear than 8k HD doesn't it ?
8k captures everything in older 65 negatives, although I haven't personally tested anything created within the lifetime of most posting here.
4k does nicely capturing image for 35, although again, I have not personally examined 6k scan to 4k for work. Keep in mind that once an image goes to film and projection, the losses pile up.
RAH

DakotaSurfer

Agent
Real Name
Michael
Robert,
I was wondering if you have a status report on the restoration process. I run a forum that every member is a fan of The Alamo and the legend who made the film. Do you have something that I can take back to these fans since the 50th anniversary year is fast approaching?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by DakotaSurfer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Robert,
I was wondering if you have a status report on the restoration process. I run a forum that every member is a fan of The Alamo and the legend who made the film. Do you have something that I can take back to these fans since the 50th anniversary year is fast approaching?
With the aid of MGM, we have done preservation of the original six track magnetic audio of the short version of the film. All else is on hold until corporate or charitable entities come forward with total funding, as we are not accepting personal donations.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
While ready to move forward, still waiting for a major sponsor or three for financial support.
Originally Posted by clownjuggles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Robert,
Any further progress on the Alamo?
Peter

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Robert - Have you reached out to corporations not associated with the film industry? I know at least one financial institution (that I work for ) that has provided grants and funding for arts releated projects through the years as part of their philanthropic programs?

Jo_C

Second Unit
March 2010 has almost come and gone...and, unfortunately, no restored "Alamo". Could this have something to do with the vicarious state of MGM, or was certainly not enough money to rescue this film from oblivion? One thing's for sure...the only extant version of the roadshow cut remains only on digital video.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I doubt that anything will move forward until the dust settles and MGM finds itself in a more stable atmosphere.

For the record, the actual roadshow version of The Alamo has never been released in any home video format.

RAH

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Robert Harris /forum/thread/283892/robert-harris-on-the-bits-resurrecting-and-restoring-the-alamo/60#post_3673561
For the record, the actual roadshow version of The Alamo has never been released in any home video format.
RAH
I thought the two-tape VHS version with all the (unrestored and faded) inserted footage was the roadshow version. There was certainly a bunch of new footage.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
Besides the VHS Tape version there was a 'Roadshow' version available on Laserdisc. Also, TCM has shown this same version. Thus, it is quite a surprise to learn that this 'long' version is not the original Roadshow version. I had assumed that this was the version found in Canada some years back...

Jo_C

Second Unit
Maybe Robert Harris meant the actual roadshow version as in including the original Todd AO credits since all 70MM Todd AO prints of Todd AO films have this credit.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
At thedigitalbits.com Mr. Harris said:

"For over thirty years, the original Roadshow version of the film was feared lost, until in 1991 a lone surviving 70mm print was found in remarkably good condition in a film exchange in Toronto."

and

"That print was used as the basis of what was called the Roadshow for release on laser disc."

I thought that was the roadshow version.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks