What's new

Robert Harris on The Bits: The Alamo (1 Viewer)

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
cinerama10 said:
I saw the original uncut version of the ALAMO when it was originally released and have that version on dvd as well.The film was not only a flop at the box office but it was mostly fiction. The acting (?) of John Wayne was an embarrassment..
An embarrassment to whom? I wasn't embarrassed and I don't think many other peope were.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
cinerama10 said:
I saw the original uncut version of the ALAMO when it was originally released and have that version on dvd as well.The film was not only a flop at the box office but it was mostly fiction. The acting (?) of John Wayne was an embarrassment.
Nothing about this film is an embarrassment, except the way MGM has treated it the last few years.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Don't know what it means, but on the Screen Archives/Film Score Monthly web site, they have a 3-CD set of the complete score to The Alamo (it's a re-recording of the original orchestrations). And in the bullet points on the page is this:

* New “Directors Cut” of the Complete Epic Film now in Preparation

Could it be true? Here's the link:

http://www.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm/ID/13821/THE-ALAMO-3-CD-COMPLETE-SCORE/

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Rick Thompson said:
Don't know what it means, but on the Screen Archives/Film Score Monthly web site, they have a 3-CD set of the complete score to The Alamo (it's a re-recording of the original orchestrations). And in the bullet points on the page is this:
* New “Directors Cut” of the Complete Epic Film now in Preparation
Could it be true? Here's the link:
http://www.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm/ID/13821/THE-ALAMO-3-CD-COMPLETE-SCORE/
This soundtrack came out in 2009 when it was thought that RAH was going to get the film restored.
Sure do wish it meant something but feel it is old news.

JSul

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Sullivan
I also saw The Alamo when it premiered here in Fort Worth, TX.I also have the vinyl LP soundtrack.It saddens me that so much of our film history is lost...or in the process of being lost forever.

AdrianTurner

BANNED
Real Name
Adrian Turner
ahollis said:
Nothing about this film is an embarrassment, except the way MGM has treated it the last few years.
Except perhaps the line at the end from Miss Wayne - "Where's daddy, mommy?" Of all the lines in all the history of the cinema that's the one I would cut, along with "Truly this man was the Son of Gard." Now wait a minute, isn't there some sort of of connection there?

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
AdrianTurner said:
Except perhaps the line at the end from Miss Wayne - "Where's daddy, mommy?" Of all the lines in all the history of the cinema that's the one I would cut, along with "Truly this man was the Son of Gard." Now wait a minute, isn't there some sort of of connection there?
Still it's treatment over the years by MGM is THE embarrassment.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
AdrianTurner said:
I kind of like that line, I guess I'm just a sentimental fool.

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
This odd exchange regarding restoration of The Alamo surfaced over the weekend on, of all places, Twilight Time's Facebook wall:
Matthew Hartman @Phil Johnston They're doing a full restoration of it, been working on it for years, the film negative was badly damaged and is SLOWLY being brought back from the dead, the same process they did for African Queen, it takes years - hopefully late 2014 early 2015 it should be ready.
Paula Vitaris Alas, that is not true. There is no restoration being done on The Alamo. It's sitting on a shelf in storage crumbling away. Back in 2009 it looked like there might be a restoration, but MGM bailed. Read the whole sad story at this Home Theater Forum thread: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/279609-robert-harris-on-the-bits-the-alamo/

Who is Matthew Hartman, and what could possibly be the basis of his assertion that work on this restoration continues quietly in the background with a target release of late '14 or early '15? After finally catching up with this entire thread, I cannot comprehend how such a project could proceed without RAH's expertise, insight, and direct participation.

So on the one hand this makes no sense at all; on another, it makes one wonder...could someone(s) actually be attempting a digital-realm recovery of this film without a true restoration of its distressed film elements?

Mr. Harris, any idea where all this is coming from?

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
ROclockCK said:
Who is Matthew Hartman, and what could possibly be the basis of his assertion that work on this restoration continues quietly in the background with a target release of late '14 or early '15?
He read something, somewhere, about hopes for a restoration. Add a bit of make-believe and wishful thinking and 4 + 4 equals 5.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
RAH, if IAMMMMW sells well for Criterion, which I believe it will, is there any chance THEY could persuade Criterion to let them have it or are we just talking too astronomical a price tag for Criterion to tackle it?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Professor Echo said:
RAH, if IAMMMMW sells well for Criterion, which I believe it will, is there any chance THEY could persuade Criterion to let them have it or are we just talking too astronomical a price tag for Criterion to tackle it?
Far to complex and expensive without outside support.

There is very little that isn't wrong with the picture elements.

RAH

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Robert Harris said:

RAH
Dave Strohmaier, Image Trends and Cinerama Inc. did a wonderful job with the three-panel Cinerama travelouges that were in pretty bad shape.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Robert Harris said:

RAH
Such a shame.

(And thanks for overlooking my typo. Of course, I meant persuade MGM to let them have it, not persuade Criterion to let Criterion have it, which makes no sense and makes me dizzy).

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
MGM's obstinance borders on sheer hatred for their own property. How else to explain not only their neglect, but refusal to let anyone else try to restore this deserved movie.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
RolandL said:
Dave Strohmaier, Image Trends and Cinerama Inc. did a wonderful job with the three-panel Cinerama travelouges that were in pretty bad shape.
Apples and elephants.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks