What's new

Robert Harris on The Bits - 9/11/02 column - OFFICIAL THREAD (1 Viewer)

Bill Hunt

Insider
We've just posted Robert Harris' new column on The Digital Bits. In this column, Robert talks about a pair of films which have had an impact on him personally, including one that takes on added significance given the day.
Films are Personal
As always, click on the link to read Robert's comments and then come on back here to this official thread at the HTF to discuss, give feedback, ask questions of Robert and sound off as you will.
Peace.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
This is sort of off topic, but I can't help noticing that Robert mentions a lot of films, and some get an asterisk meaning they are worthy of purchase. I'd like to see Rob Tomlin's face when he sees Lawrence of Arabia conspicously missing an asterisk. :)

gregstaten

Supporting Actor
Great article, Mr. Harris. I was on the fence about buying 9|11 even though I collect documentaries. And, I hadn't noticed that DON'T LOOK NOW had been announced.

Picked 'em both up on my way home from work today.

-greg

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Another great article, RAH. My wife and I watched and thoroughly enjoyed DON'T LOOK NOW last week - what a beautiful disk. This is another case of a DVD transfer that honestly comes close to looking "film-like". I'm so happy they didn't give it the digital smoothing treatment...
I'd like to see Rob Tomlin's face when he sees Lawrence of Arabia conspicously missing an asterisk.
Well, we all know that the lack of an asterisk is only because the DVD is sub-par and is certainly not a reflection on the brilliant film itself. :)

JJR512

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Justin J. Rebbert
Strange...I was in one Best Buy and two different Borders yesterday, and one Wal*Mart today, and have not seen anything about this 9/11 documentary. The article is the first I've heard of it. I thought I had looked around pretty well, not looking for anything in particular, just browsing. I think I'll go out tomorrow and make a dedicated effort to find it. Should it be available in any of these stores I've mentioned, and what is the price?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
9/11 is streeting at approximately $21, a portion of which goes to charity, as do the entire profits of the HBO special on the subject, which makes an interesting companion piece, and comes from Warner.

There are obviously a number of other DVDs which have recently made their way to the stores, so be careful to end up with the correct disc. This one is from Paramount.

I have not had a chance to check whether the profits from other offerings such as those on the World Trade Center go to charities.

If anyone knows, the information should be posted.

If they don't, they should be avoided like the plague. Companies attempting to profit from the event might just as well be buying scrap metal from Ground Zero, striking commemorative medallions from it and hawking them over the airwaves for "only $24.95 plus shipping and handling." I find it incomprehensible that any entity could or would publish anything with an eye toward profit from this tragedy.

RAH

Tom Rhea

Second Unit
An excellent article. I wasn't in NYC on 9/11/01, but I'm nevertheless not ready to watch that documentary. I may do as suggested, get it and put it on a shelf, but I can't imagine a time when I'll be able to watch it without turning into a blubbering mess.

As for Don't Look Now, sounds exactly like the sort of movie I'd love. Picking up great movies sight unseen, just going on word of mouth or gut instinct, is the most fun part of being a movie nut -- that's how I ended up with Roeg's beautiful Walkabout. Fortunately, today is movie ordering day and I was looking for something just like this to complete the list. Thanks!

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I tried to watch 9/11 when it first aired on CBS. The moment the first plane hit the tower, I had to leave the room. I thought that I was prepared for it. I had seen the footage of the towers falling a hundred times by then. Nothing could have prepared me for what I saw. Someday, I know that I'll want to watch the entire film. I also know that I want our children to watch it when they're old enough. It's very hard to put a personal face on tragedy. This film accomplishes that without trying.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
On the region 2 edition of Don't Look Now, there is a 20 minute retrospective mini-docu, and Roeg doesn't look 74, let me tell you! He's seems a right nice bloke. I am in awe of his work. Masque is amazing for a $300,000 21 day show from 1964. Far From The Madding Crowd need to be on DVD with a genuinely great transfer - what is the condition of the film's elements? The transfer on the region 2 of The Man Who Fell To Earth is also superb. I'd love to see Eureka get a good DVD edition some time soon.
As long as humans have eyes, they owe it to themselves to watch the films that Nick Roeg worked his visionary magic on! :)
:star: :star: :star:And God bless America too:star: :star: :star:
Gordy
In Scotland

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
just another great article from Mr Harris and how he saw the events of 11 september 2001. Time sure does fly, I watched the documentary on the day itself as the bbc showed it. Very moving indeed and at times you do walk away to take a breather. I am not sure about buying this at the moment, too fresh.
Oscar
also from Scotland
:emoji_thumbsup:

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Nice article. The comments regarding the 9/11 DVD were right on the mark! It truly is amazing what these guys captured on film, and it isn't easy to watch.
I just placed Don't Look Now on my Netflix list. I love Donald Sutherland, so I am really looking forward to viewing this one!
I'd like to see Rob Tomlin's face when he sees Lawrence of Arabia conspicously missing an asterisk.
I think it is probably so obvious that this film is great (the greatest) that placing an asterisk next to it would only be stating the obvious! :)

Daniel J

Stunt Coordinator
I think it is probably so obvious that this film is great (the greatest) that placing an asterisk next to it would only be stating the obvious!
I was under the impression that Mr. Harris is disgusted with the current DVD release of LOA, and deems it a poor way to experience the film. (Of course, if your only other option is VHS, then you have to make do...)

Daniel J

Stunt Coordinator
As of Sept. 20, the other option will be 70mm
Actually, that's a null option for (guessing) 75% of Canada's population. Laserdisc would be easier (though I suppose driving seven hours to seattle would be cheaper than a LD player, but the latter option also gives me Star Wars, and offers opportunity for multuple screenings.)

Unless theaters with 70mm projection equipment have been popping up under my nose...

Back OT:

Has anyone seen 9/11 on Canadian shelves? It sounds like a disc I need to get.

And what genre would Don't Look now fit in? Anything comparable that I may have seen? Mr. Harris' comments about the paridgm-setting production make a rental seem inevitable, but there are alot of other films on my "to see" list already...

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
"Don't Look Now" is somewhere in the mystery/horror/psychological thriller range. Parts of it are quite disturbing. It is not fun for the whole family, but is a very well made film for adult sensibilities.

Regards,

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
A little of topic, but didn't I see Robert mention (in another thread) that he would have an article on Wolfen up on the Bits?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
You're quite correct.

Wolfen will be column after the next.

The 9/11 DVD was unexpected, worthy of discussion and set the schedule off a bit.

RAH

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks