What's new

Robert A. Harris on The Bits: The Sleeping Beauty Blu-ray Restoration (1 Viewer)

Bill Hunt

Insider
Hi, everyone! I just wanted to let you all know that Robert A. Harris has just posted a new Yellow Layer Failure column on The Digital Bits, featuring an interview with Theo Gluck, Director of Library Restoration and Preservation for Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures, on the new restoration of Sleeping Beauty that's featured on the just-released Blu-ray. We hope you enjoy the column, and come back here to discuss it. Best!

Here's the link:

Yellow Layer Failure, Vinegar Syndrome and Miscellaneous Musings by Robert A. Harris

Reagan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reagan
RAH,

Great interview. Thanks for conducting this and sharing it with everyone. I learned quite a bit.

Next, you should interview that guy who restored the Godfather films. I bet he's got some interesting stories to tell.

-R

BCGHR2

Auditioning
Real Name
Herbert
Agreed - many thanks RAH! A very informative interview with an obviously informed individual who can make this all easy to understand. I am glad that some key points are made by someone who knows that Technirama is a 35mm format (I cannot believe how many reports on-line about this disc claim the film was shot in 70mm). There are other articles out that there that state the negative is nitrate.

I also appreciate the discussion, research and obvious thought that went into their 2.55 decision. I think it works very well - and the Blu-ray disc is just amazing.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Disney, like the other studios, does not place their assets into the hands of people that do not thoroughly think through a films' problems before addressing them.

Mr. Gluck, like his predecessor, Mr. MacQueen, always examine and cogitate before they act.

RAH

Real Name
Rachel Bowman

While I enjoyed the discussion, I'm still waiting to read Mr. Harris' thought on the results. He was a famous critic of the last restoration, I would love to hear his detailed thoughts on the new release.

WadeM

Supporting Actor

And don't forget that the BD comes with a free DVD of the movie.

I knew Sleeping Beauty looked right in 2.55, and the example in Mr. Harris' interview proves it. I've stated it elsewhere, and will state it again, this is really the best SB has ever looked.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

My thoughts will be posted after I have a chance to see the final results on Blu-ray. If the "he" in your second line refers to me, you could not be more incorrect. The last restoration, created from the 8 perf elements to a 65mm printing element, was beautiful, and the best that the film could possibly look via photo-chemical / photo-optical means.

RAH

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Which was the linchpin in my decision to get it. FWIW, I recently read RAH's comments on the last release of SB on DVD. He didn't take issue with the restoration, but was mildly unimpressed with the transfer, as it was missing some vertical information and exhibited some EE haloes.

oswalditen

Auditioning
Real Name
Oswald Iten
I'm a little confused about the many restorations of this movie. I'm aware of the photo-optical restoration but there seems to have been another one more recently. I own the following "collector's edition deluxe 2 disc set" that came out in 2002 (the RC1 came out in 2003, I believe): Amazon.de: Dornröschen - Deluxe - Doppel DVD: George Bruns, Clyde Geronimi, Wolfgang Reitherman, Eric Larson: DVD

This looked definitely like a digital restoration, even the special features showed some photoshopping over the characters. I read somewhere back then that this also was made from scans of the original SE negative. Can anyone explain this?

Real Name
Rachel Bowman

I'm sorry, sir, but I had read in the past that you were upset by the aspect ratio and general look of the film in its last home video DVD release. It wouldn't be the first time I believed something I read on-line, and took it as truth, so I apologize.

I can't wait to read your thoughts. I thought the Blu-Ray was stunning, myself.

Reagan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reagan
This interview (along with the fact that Disney went to extra effort to put "Grand Canyon" on disc in 1080p and hi-rez audio), prompted me to buy Sleeping Beauty. I was going to pass on it since it's not at the top of my list of classic Disney, but I was convinced.

After seeing Sleeping Beauty in 1080p, I can say that "I get it". The grandeur of the art is lost at any lower resolution - it looked nice on DVD, but didn't draw me in the way this did. Including the entire 2.55 image helped too. It really is a brilliant movie.

So, Theo Gluck, you can chalk up a sale because of your interview.

-R

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
I saw this for the first time in 1080p last night on my Toshiba 47" Regza LCD screen and was rivited! Thanks for such a wonderful presentation of a classic Disney fairy tale!
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter
Check out how awful the lines look in this BD capture. This is direct from the Blu in full 1080 resolution. Check out this shot and a few around it for some horrible digital processing where lines are being erased and some digital stair-stepping is apparent.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Just watched the BluRay and I noticed that one shot. However, it didn't seem to occur anywhere else in the film. That capture is from right before a dissolve, so I wonder if it's a built-in optical or replacement footage was used? Either it was something wrong with the elements and that's a result over overcorrection or compression was wonky.

(Sort of underwhelmed by the movie itself - beautiful animation, but it's kind of boring)

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter

No, several shots in this scene look just as bad as this one. Check out the earlier shots of Flora giving her gift, etc. Pretty awful...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharel
Recent bookmarks