What's new

"Road to Perditon" Reviews (1 Viewer)

Declan

Second Unit
Got mine today. Wrote about it in the demo thread up at the top of the software thread.

Picture did have a few scenes of edge enhancement at the start when michael Jr. is standing on the beech with his back to us and also in the beech scenes (and a few helicopter shots during the film) there was some grain, but from what i could see (and my memories of the theatrical print I saw) the grain in these scenes are intentional.

Sound was exceptional though. Mendes describes it as a film filled with ghosts so he reflected that in the sound design. There are echos and directional effects applenty. Thomas newmans score has a beautiful hipnotic quality in the DTS track that is amazing and also very powerful. Havent listened to the DD5.1 track and dont really plan to.
But why cant they change the damn DTS Piano trailer for something different. I'm sick of it.

Dont care for HBO docs much so the only thing i am really missing here is the fantastic trailer.

Great disc, great transfer (aside from very minor edge enhancement) which is representitive of the theatrical exhibition. Great movie and extras..........essential purchase.

my 2c.

Joseph_mx

Stunt Coordinator
I have both editions and the average bitrate for them are:

The DD Widescreen edition average bitrate is 6.55 Mb/sec
The DTS widescreen edition average bitrate is 7.32 Mb/sec

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
as I said,

the visual artifacts are not that bad to drop a purchase, just choose your disc preference.

if anything, it certainly isn't SuperBit quality (when viewed on a 50" plasma).

but remains a good movie that is a worthy purchase.

greg_t

Screenwriter
Joseph,

Any chance you could shoot audio bitrates our way for the DTS/DD tracks on the two discs?

Joseph_mx

Stunt Coordinator
greg-t if you can tell me where to find a software on the net to do that I'll do it. I only have the Bitrate 1.4 and it is just for the video.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
By the way, the DTS track sounded great! I bought the soundtrack a long time ago when the film first opened and the DTS track was very pleasing to me. The film is still my favorite for winning the Oscar for Best Score as well as in Cinematography.

Crawdaddy

DeanWalsh

Second Unit
The DD Widescreen edition average bitrate is 6.55 Mb/sec
The DTS widescreen edition average bitrate is 7.32 Mb/sec
Those bitrate figures would indicate one thing... that exactly the same video transfer was used for both versions... the extra 0.8 Mb/sec is the added DTS track.

As for the seperate releases... I'm absolutely dumbfounded as to why they would release a 'seperate' DTS release yet still include the DD 5.1!!! Why then release a DD only version?

Also Joseph:
http://www.digital-digest.net/downlo...obrator02b.zip
This tool gives you DTS/DD bitrates, but you must extract a VOB to the HD first (I just do one chapter then delete it after I've checked).

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
Has anyone actually heard any differences between DD and DTS on the movie? The big problem I am having is because I don't know which version to get. Do I want the DD with the HBO Doc or an overstuffed DTS disc sans HBO doc but with the DD track. Also, is the DD track on the DTS the same as the regular DD disc? Does the picture of the DTS version differ from the DD disc?

HELP!!! I need to know which version to buy!

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
my observation (2 different players) was that the DTS track was 'louder' than the DD disc track (as heard during the opening chapter).

I will try to compare during the 'big' passages, and watch the doc (26 mins of compressed 4:3 material), when possible.

T r o y

Supporting Actor
Hey Robert Crawdaddy!!

Question. How did the hotel shootout scene sound between Hanks and Law? I know in the theater , Law's shotgun blasts and Hanks .45 cal gun sounded very dynamic and loud.

Is this the way it sounds on the DTS version?

Thanks

Declan

Second Unit
very dynamic is an understatement to describe the DTS track during that scene when i watched it over 7 hours ago.

that help you? ;)

T r o y

Supporting Actor
Thanks Fellas!

That definately has sparked my appetite even more for this DVD!!

I think DTS does a better job of delivering the goods when it comes to the dynamics and realism of guns blasts whether shotguns or .45Cal. handguns.

I thought Hanks trusty ol' 45 in the theater sounded spectacular!! I can hardly wait to check this pic out on DVD !!!

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
ok,

on the DTS disc, DTS is definitely 'louder' than the DD track.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
ok,

I used to wonder why people complained about the BRAVEHEART print. Ditto for SOUND OF MUSIC.

Looks rather normal and nice on my then display.

I watched BRAVEHEART again on my bigger plasma display, and it looks pretty bad.

Relative, isn't it?

Not everyone has the same standards nor equipment to experience the same viewing.

I quite enjoyed the HBO doc because I knew nothing about Conrad Hall, and those illustrated segueways were cool. Good for a rental.

I disagree with DVDFile's assessment that there isn't a big difference between the DTS and DD tracks, as heard on my setup. Their setup probably sounded just as they described.

I disagree about the transfer especially the opening chapter. Sure, the movie is very well shot, but when it comes to viewing, it doesn't look as good as other discs on DVD.

Why did they stop listing player equipment on their reviews?

I do not agree with ALL of Ron's recommendations. But I still read them, as he explains why he likes them (or not), from his viewpoint.

I don't do reviews (no time), but I sure as hell watch a lot as a fan, and as an astute viewer.

My perspective. Tis all.

RTPerdition is a good movie that is worth a purchase on DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks