What's new

RNG110 to HDTV on PC (1 Viewer)

JackT

Auditioning
Real Name
Jack Toering
I'm very technical when it comes to IT, but know little about this area. What I have: - I have Comcast and their box for HDTV is the RNG110. This box has hdmi and component out, but no coax. - I also have a laptop with an HD screen running Windows 7 Professional, which automatically includes all of the MCE software. What I want to do: - Watch HD and non-HD cable channels on my HD screen laptop. Thoughts from someone who has no clue: HDMI and Display ports on laptop PCs are for output only. The only way that I know of to get TV signal in, is to buy a USB TV tuner, mini-pci, or pcie. OTH or clear-QAM would be simple, because MCE and its remote could use the tuner on the PC to select the channels. To get from the TV tuner to the STB would be to connect a coax cable from the TV tuner to an RF modulator, and from the RF modulator connect component cables to the STB. The PC would have to stay on one channel. The STB would select the channels, show the guide, and do the on-demand. That leaves me with two remotes, one for the STB, another for MCE to control the volume, and no good way to use the laptop as a DVR. It would be nicer to have the signal come over the Ethernet. If I do something with an M-Card, I might be able to get the MCE and DVR capabilities back, but it would cost me the On-Demand, and Comcast channel guide I would guess :confused: I came to the conclusion that I need the advice of someone who knows what they are doing. :D What would you recommend to make this work? Thanks!

JackT

Auditioning
Real Name
Jack Toering
After much research going from TV tuners + Microsoft Media Center Extensions , to SlingBox, and others like it, I found the best answer can only be found at Monsoon VULKANO It makes everything else look pedestrian and the prices are fair for what you get.

Users who are viewing this thread