What's new

Riverdance (1 Viewer)

Joel...Lane

Second Unit
Real Name
Joel
Has anyone ever seen this show? Caught it this weekend and highly recommend it if it comes to your area.

Mario Bartel

Stunt Coordinator
Is this thing still out there?!

I don't know if I should be embarrassed about this, but I got so caught up in the whole Riverdance/Celtic music & dancing thing back in '97 that I travelled to NYC to see the sixth-ever North American performance of Lord of the Dance, the show developed by Riverdance's original breakout star, Michael Flatley. Whatever became of him anyways????

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
He retired as a dancer, but Lord of the Dance is still running, and there's another (even gaudier) show of his called Feet of Flame.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I thought Riverdance is now just the subject of parody on animated shows like Family Guy/Simpsons, etc. etc.

Feets of Flame, eh?

As long as it's the feet.. as long as it's the feet. :)

Jay

Joel...Lane

Second Unit
Real Name
Joel
Yeah, Flatley is not part of the show. I think he was accused of rape a year or so ago. Don't know the outcome of that mess. The new main guy, I believe his name is Sean Beglan, has an UNCANNY resemblance to Hugh Jackman. Maybe just a little bit shorter.

It is a little adjustment getting used to watching them dance without moving their arms. But still it's quite a sight. And there's more in the show than just Irish dancing. You've got the band. And some of them do solos. There are singers that are very good. A Spanish dancer who is very top heavy!:b A Russian ballet group. Those guys and girls were VERY impressive. There are two tap dancers who go head to head (or should I say toe to toe) with the Riverdancers. A nice friendly little competition to see which dance form is the better one. I won't say who won though. There's also an American soloist who belts one out.

So put it all together and it was a pretty fun evening.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
He was accused, countersued for $100m claiming he was being blackmailed. His accuser dropped the charges (which were about to be dismissed either way), but Flatley is going ahead with his lawsuit anyway, last I heard.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I count Riverdance as kind of a guility pleasure, but only because of the attention it's received. If not for that there would be no reason to be embarrassed for liking it as it is a pretty good show. Plus the original New York show had Jean Butler :)

Chuck Mullen

Stunt Coordinator
I saw a couple of his homes on a "lifestyles of the rich and famous" type shows just a month or two ago. Believe me, he doesn't have to work another day in his life if doesn't want to.

Jay Taylor

Supporting Actor
I love this show. Over about a 6 year period I’ve seen Riverdance on 3 different occasions and each performance was significantly different from the others. The latest was this month.

They’ve changed the show to include more styles of dancing. A real interesting dance was a street competition between the Irish dancers and Afro-American tap dancers. It was very funny & entertaining.

The Russian and Spanish Flamenco dancing segments have been expanded also.

These dancers have been competing against each other most of their lives and the Riverdance show lets them perform on stage together. Perhaps the reason that each season will have different routines from the previous is that they may incorporate dance routines from their competitions into Riverdance. But that is something I’m just guessing based on the program guide they give you at the door.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks