What's new

RIP Robin Williams (1 Viewer)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Moscow on the Hudson for me will always be his greatest performance, but I loved him in Awakenings, too.

R.I.P. You will be much missed.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
FoxyMulder said:
This is very sad news and i can relate to it as i too have had periods of bad depression, the last of which was last Xmas, i think it's an illness that is very hard to understand unless you have gone or are going through it, you cannot just snap out of it and when people say those things to you it can make matters worse.

Robin Williams was a fabulous comedian, i laughed out loud at some of his live shows, he was also a very good actor and by all accounts a nice human being, in what is sometimes a cutthroat business with some nasty people, he was one of the good guys, he will be missed.
Such sad shocking news. :(

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
At first I was shocked when I heard the news. Then the usual negative feelings start to surface after hearing one of these people do something like this. Still, he must have been extremely unhappy to go to the length he did. A huge loss of a funny guy and talented actor, both voice and on-camera. A terrible waste.

RIP

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I haven't seen Dead Poets Society in years, but I could really relate to the NPR commentator and her reflections on the resonance of that film when she was a teenager. Our entire AP English class was excited about the film in part because the textbook they used in the film was the same one we were using (or at least the cover). Watching the film in class was definitely one of the highlights of the year.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I feel that last commercial has a terrible irony to it, considering the events that have transpired.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Not to me. His verse is sometimes amazing, ending in tragedy, but uplifting and cheerful for 4 plus decades. Depression sucks but that does not diminish his accomplishments or message while he was healthy one bit.

Here is his AMAZING AMA:
http://np.reddit.com/comments/1n41x1

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Sam Posten said:
Not to me. His verse is sometimes amazing, ending in tragedy, but uplifting and cheerful for 4 plus decades. Depression sucks but that does not diminish his accomplishments or message while he was healthy one bit.

Here is his AMAZING AMA:
http://np.reddit.com/comments/1n41x1
You must be one of those glass half full type of guys. ;)

Anyway, I don't think it diminishes the prose. I just think events give it a terrible irony in that it celebrates what gives life meaning and yet the man speaking it went to a dark place where he lost sight of that meaning. Still, maybe we are all jumping the gun, From listening to the news, it is still a suspected suicide. It has not been fully confirmed as one.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
I have come close a few times due to depression and manic depression. I'm depressed even right now, I have even tried attempted suicide at least a few times over the past 27 years, and last attempt was 10 years ago, that failed. I wanted to hang myself over a matter that I won't talk about. I had an outrage manic depression attack two nights ago.

No its very disturbing and no I don't like this bad feelings inside myself to just upset my dad, or friends with. My friends for years wondered why I often go into these mood swings when I have enjoyed myself and then next, I'm, Droopy the dog, down in the pits. :( It can last for hours or days.

I wasn't even aware a talented celebrity like, Robin Williams, has been going though this all his life. Yes we can have all the money and fame and yet, the thing that is within us, that can overpower us or we can triumph over it?

I just don't know he had family that obviously knew about his depression and can talk to him, and get him feel good within himself. Its a battle.

My dad, jokingly tells me to "get un-depressed". I can't say that doesn't help.

One of my friends a teacher doesn't buy the bipolar disorder one bit. Well another understanding friend.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I let out a cry when I heard this. I too grew up with Williams. From Mork And Mindy, to Popeye, Garp, Hook, jumanji, Good Will Hunting, and on and on. Soooo sad. Nanoo nanoo my friend. RIP

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I do t have anything to include because I'm speechless. Laugh In Peace

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Those you you that want to watch Mork & Mindy, Hulu has select episodes right now.
Wish they had all, but a handful of episodes will show people just how funny he was. (Including Johnathan Winters)

Brian McP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
I'm blessed to have seen Robin do his standup show live in concert -- sad to say, it was the ironically titled "Weapons of Self Destruction" tour of 2010 down here in Australia -- he'd play stadiums with only himself, a few props and an elaborate lighting background, and he seemingly filled the stage -- he was non-stop, giving every zinger everything he had. He was truly a force of nature, a night I'll never forget.

Many newspapers and blogs have started to recite the number of comedians who have come to an untimely end through depression, adding Robin now to that list -- down here, many people could never forget the great Tony Hancock who died here in 1968 during production of a television series that wasn't working -- I know Robin's series "The Crazy Ones" was cancelled in May (he mentions this only once on his social media feeds), but he had so much to look forward to with 4 movies still to come out and a sequel to "Mrs. Doubtfire" said in reports today, ready to go into production within weeks.

It had to have been a split-second, momentary decision -- a heartbreaking day for a lot of people today, many including me will always remember where they were when they first heard the news. I have so much of his stuff at home -- am going to start my Robin Williams film festival tonight -- shall try to 'seize the day', somehow.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
RIP. This is very sad. Depression is a real and hard thing to get out of it. To see how one would feel I recommend movies like
Melancholia (2011) and Magic Magic (2013). Magic Magic has bad reviews but I personally prefer it over other movies I know
of depression and I think it's misunderstood.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Now I am in the land where nothing is funny.

As heart broken as I am over this I can only imagine what it must be like for people like Woopi, Billy and his
family.

I absolutely love his film Bicentenneal Man.

RIP Mr. Williams.

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
image04.jpg
image05.jpg

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I am gutted. Sad sad news.

R.I.P.
Chevy Chase: “Robin and I were great friends, suffering from the same little-known disease: depression. I never could have expected this ending to his life, and to ours with him. God bless him and God bless us all for his LIFE! I cannot believe this. I am overwhelmed with grief. What a wonderful man/boy and what a tremendous talent in the most important art of any time – comedy! I loved him.”
More celebrity tributes at this link

http://www.deadline.com/2014/08/robin-williams-death-reactions-wife-manager-studio/

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
So very sad indeed. Tough one to absorb, but depression is a horrible burden that unless you've been there it's difficult to understand how this could happen.

I will certainly miss Robin Williams. The world really needs people like him, seems especially so these days.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Brian McP said:
It had to have been a split-second, momentary decision
I'm afraid not, you think about these things for a long time before doing them, if it's as reported then he would have been unhappy for years but the thing is that you hide it from people, you can appear normal and happy on the outside but inside you are very unhappy, as i said in my last post i don't think depression is understood very well, even by those that have the condition.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks