What's new

RIP Robin Williams (1 Viewer)

Brett_B

Supporting Actor
I couldn't comprehend the news headline when I first saw it.

Complete shock!

He was my all-time favorite stand up comedian with his "Live at the Met" performance.

RIP...you will never be forgotten.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Hoffman: OD. Williams: Suicide. What's really disquieting about this sort of thing is how it happened. With both men, I initially assumed a heart attack or whatever, only to be taken aback by the actual cause.Simply put: We *really* don't know these people.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Radioman970 said:
I've watched quite a few of those Shelley Duvall's Tales but none have even come close to The Frog Prince. He was terrific in that.
We can (kind of) thank Robin Williams for kick-starting the entire series. Shelley was in Malta filming "Popeye" with Williams when the idea came to her that he'd be the perfect Frog Prince. I agree it's one of the best episodes on many FTT fan's lists.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Very sad and shocking news. A great comedian who was loved by all.Another great comedian we didn't need to lose.I will be watching a few of his movies.The Birdcage is one I really want to see again.One of his I haven't seen yet is Worlds Greatest Dad. RIP

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
What a great loss!

My condolences to his family and friends.

Robin Williams brought me much joy and happiness over the years.

He will be sorely missed.

R.I.P.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Just heard this news a few minutes ago. I'm in a state of shock. My heart goes out to his family.

R.I.P. Oh Captain, My Captain...

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
classicmovieguy said:
We can (kind of) thank Robin Williams for kick-starting the entire series. Shelley was in Malta filming "Popeye" with Williams when the idea came to her that he'd be the perfect Frog Prince. I agree it's one of the best episodes on many FTT fan's lists.
I didn't know that was the timeline. I thought the show aired partially in the late 70s. Williams looks so young in that, like when he was doing standup before Mork.

Wanted to mention "The Survivors" on the thread. Since he was battling depression, sure wish I could have told him that film is one that keeps me going. I watch it several times a year, usually when I'm away from work for a bit and have nothing on my mind.

500full.jpg

"Damnit! I'm not gonna stand here and watch this man dangle for your delight...!"

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Radioman970 said:
I didn't know that was the timeline. I thought the show aired partially in the late 70s. Williams looks so young in that, like when he was doing standup before Mork.
FTT started in 1982. :)

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
The last bunch of years, I've been at the epicenter of a bunch of awkward-as-hell pop-cultural generation-gap bullshit among people I currently know. But you know what's been at least one great unifying factor that pretty much nearly anyone I talk to can at least appreciate?

Death to Smoochy being one of the hands-down-funniest fucking films of the 2000s. I've yet to meet a single person that's seen it who disagrees with that statement. I hope I never do.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
This is very sad and shocking news. Robin was an incredible talent, and our world is a much better place because he was in it. His genius will be sorely missed. My thoughts are with his family now during this difficult time.

RIP, Mork.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Given that the cause of death was asphyxiation, I have to wonder if it was suicide or a David Carradine-type situation. Regardless, RIP.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
A comedy and acting legend. I didn't believe it when my wife told me. Just incredibly sad news, especially for his family and friends.For his fans, he left a wonderful legacy, full of depth and breadth.Rest in Peace.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
So sad....I am truly stunned. Not many actors had that rapid, quick witted humor that Robin Williams had. :( One of the funniest comedies of all time, Mrs. Doubtfire. I still remember seeing this during an ice storm in Dallas, TX during the Thanksgiving Holiday 1993. I laughed so hard that I had a headache. I mean I was literally hurting.

He was a comedic legend. One of a kind.

RIP.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
From Roger Ebert's review of Good Morning, Vietnam:
In a strange, subtle way, “Good Morning, Vietnam” is not so much about war as it is about stand-up comedy, about the need that compels people to get up in front of the room and try to make us laugh - to control us.Why do comics do that? Because they need to have their power proven and vindicated. Why do they need that? Because they are the most insecure of Earth’s people (just listen to their language - they’re gonna kill us, unless they die out there). How do you treat low self-esteem? By doing esteemable things and then saying, “Hey, I did that!” What happens to Williams in this movie? Exactly that. By the end of the film, he doesn’t wisecrack all the time because he doesn’t need to. He no longer thinks he’s the worthless (although bright, fast and funny) sack of crap that got off the plane. In the early scenes, the character’s eyes are opaque. By the end, you can see what he’s thinking.
Depression is a terrible illness. I've had a couple bad bouts in my life, and the only thing that worked for me was endurance. It sucks all of the meaning out of life, and you just hope it leaves enough to allow you to drag your shell of a self through until the meaning starts bleeding through again.I can't imagine what his family is going through right now. What a loss, to them and to the world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks