Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
That is hilarious.

Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt /t/322104/rip-ernest-borgnine#post_3946242
Thanks for the wonderful photos!
An incredible career. He was working very regularly through the end of last year.
In this clip, Mr. Borgnine, then 91 years old, revealed the secret of his longevity:

ronlw

Auditioning
Real Name
Ron Walker
I was lucky enough to work with Mr. Borgnine on a low budget independent movie. We had him for one day and couldn't see how we could get everything w needed shot in the time allowed. What a professional...we were finished by lunch time. Even though he was finished shooting and had a private room, he came and dined with the crew and during lunch he came up with new ideas and lines to make the picture better. We spent the rest of the day shooting these ideas and the picture is better for it. Obviously we thanked him but he said, "No, I thank you..." and then with that characteristic smile added, "Not many people would give such an old actor a job." What a giant! Here was a great talent treating our small film like it was "Gone With The Wind". He will be missed.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Although it's at a very respectable age, it's sad news.

He is one of my favourite actors. If you ask anyone to name a few great actors, his name is often forgotten to be mentioned, but once you mention him or show his picture, it's "ah, yes". And they then know several of the movies he was in.

I have hardly been able to see him in a TV-series, but I will try to find the ones you people mentioned.
And, Robert Crawford: great list. The moment I read about his passing, I thought of Emperor of the North - even before Marty.

Very fine actor. Mr. Borgnine Rest In Peace. We'll remember you as long as we can.

Cees

Brian McP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
Simply, my alltime favorite actor, a life long fan -- July 8 was a day I'd been quietly dreading most of my life. Thankfully his final illness was a very short one. What a career and what a life!
My hope is that more people discover his work as well as studios release some of the hidden treasures that have not come to home video as yet -- a very simple movie like "The Rabbit Trap", which many consider to be an indirect sequel to "Marty", has one of his greatest performances.
-- and I'm certainly looking forward to his last movie "The Man Who Shook The Hand of Vincente Fernandez". I know he was very excited about this movie and in his later days was revelling in the great reviews the movie had got when it played the Newport Beach Film Festival in April (and he won Best Actor for the movie at the Festival -- lets see some other 95 year old try that!)
Here are links to two of his later interviews, one from last year and what is proported to be his last on-camera appearance, on "Good Morning Texas" on May 4 -- he speaks about his new movie as well a couple of life lessons worth remembering:
http://bigfanboy.com/wp/?p=13399
[VIDEO]http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHWZdctr_4s&feature=player_embedded#![/VIDEO]

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by ronlw /t/322104/rip-ernest-borgnine#post_3946709
I was lucky enough to work with Mr. Borgnine on a low budget independent movie. We had him for one day and couldn't see how we could get everything w needed shot in the time allowed. What a professional...we were finished by lunch time. Even though he was finished shooting and had a private room, he came and dined with the crew and during lunch he came up with new ideas and lines to make the picture better. We spent the rest of the day shooting these ideas and the picture is better for it. Obviously we thanked him but he said, "No, I thank you..." and then with that characteristic smile added, "Not many people would give such an old actor a job." What a giant! Here was a great talent treating our small film like it was "Gone With The Wind". He will be missed.
Thanks for sharing. I was fortunate enough to be at EMA when he was there. He was a highlight of the event and had some great stories to tell. He was sharp as a tack as well. That Fox clip is hysterical. Funniest line is the last one: ...I shook his hand!

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
I thought he was going to cruise right to 100 and past it. He was still making movies, and now only Eli Wallach and Christopher Lee stand as the guys still working into their nineties.
Watched Escape From New York the other day in tribute, since that was the first movie I ever saw him in as a kid growing up (although I still wouldn't rule out The Poseidon Adventure for that particular claim, depending on certain memory-factors).
R.I.P., Cabbie.

Brian McP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
Had to include this on this very thread -- the trailer for Ernest's last movie is now online and the movie itself opens in LA on December 7 -- after seeing this, I won't be looking at motorized wheelchairs the same way again....
http://www.deadline.com/2012/11/the-man-who-shook-the-hand-of-vicente-fernandez-trailer-ernest-borgnine-indican-pictures/

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks