What's new

RIP: Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin passes in animal attack (1 Viewer)

Jeff(R)

Second Unit
Quotes:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/...222072735.html

Crikey means gee whiz, wow!

When I see what's happened all over the world, they're looking at me as this very popular, wildlife warrior, Australian bloke. And yet back here in my own country some people find me a little bit embarrassing.

Crikey, mate. You're far safer dealing with crocodiles and western diamondback rattlesnakes than the executives and the producers and all those sharks in the big MGM building.

I bled a lot. I got hit across the face. We couldn't film for seven days. I got whacked, underwater, across the face. I finished the shot, got into the boat and blood started coming out.

I get called an adrenaline junkie every other minute, and I'm fine with that.

I have no fear of losing my life. If I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it.

I would never blame an animal if it bit me, because I'm at fault, not them. I heal so quickly. If you cut my arm off I would grow a new one.

I'm high as a kite, mate. I'm flat out like a lizard drinking, all the time. You know I have trouble just sitting here. You know, I'm just like, got to get up.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Ive swam with stingrays a few times(in controlled pools, I have a really bad salt water phobia and wont go near open water)

I was a fan as well, but was away this weekend and just found out when I saw this thread.

This is horrible horrible news:frowning:

Shane_M

Stunt Coordinator
I suspect he swam over it not even realizing it was there when it reacted.

You will be missed Mr. Irwin. My prayers and thoughts go out to your family and friends.

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
You will be missed Steve. When I channel surf and see you wrestling a big croc there's just no way I would change it until I saw the outcome.

It finally happened :frowning:

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Just heard about this. I'm shocked and saddened.

His passion will be greatly missed. We always enjoyed his programs, and his love of live, animals and his family. This is really a sad day...

todd stone

Screenwriter
very sad. On a Larry King interview from 2004, he wanted to bring a zoo to Las Vegas. Did that ever happen?

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Of all the things that could've got him, I never figured on something like this.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
According to CNN, the footage of him getting stabbed also shows him pulling the barb from his chest....how horrible for all involved. Along with his family, it must have been horrible to have been there filming underwater and be totally helpless to do anything to save him. RIP.

Chris Souders

Stunt Coordinator
Though it must have been a natural reaction, the act of pulling the barb out either killed him or hastened a potentially unavoidable death. He likely bled to death due to the perforation of the cardiac muscle or had a cardiac tamponade from such penetration. Either way, he likely would have stayed alive longer had he not pulled it out. Granted, there is likely a rather long EMS response time, so it may not have mattered at all.

Moral of the story...
1) Unfair stuff happens to good people every day.
2) Don't pull a penetrating object out of your chest unless you a in an operating room.

Chris

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
According to the eyewitness reports, there wasn't a lot of blood. The venom directly to the heart is what killed him. :frowning:

Chris Souders

Stunt Coordinator

Sorry, but this is pure speculation for the moment. I admit I know nothing about the venom of a stingray, and it may be that, but I'd expect much more deaths worldwide from stings if it was so toxic.

In fact, an article I found http://www.physorg.com/news76596724.html says:
"What happened to Steve Irwin is like being stabbed in the heart," said Geoff Isbister, a clinical toxicologist at the Mater Hospital in Newcastle on Australia's east coast.

"It has little to do with the venom and all to do with the trauma caused by the barb of the stingray."

Just because you have are impaled by a sharp object which is then pulled out of you does not mean blood is going to rush out of you. You can bleed internally and the skin/muscle/fascia prevents the blood from becoming external. Now, in this case, as with cardiac rupture, you should die in less than a minute and it seems as though he was alive longer than this.

Much more common with penetrating wounds to the heart, and what I would suspect in this case, is cardiac tamponade. The heart is surrounded by a tough tissue called the pericardium and there is a potential space between the two. Blood can fill that space up and it effectively compresses the ventricles and prevents the ventricles from filling up with blood. This leads to decreased contractility and decreased cardiac output which becomes no cardiac output and death. This takes more than seconds and less than an hour to kill you.

Nevertheless, don't pull penetrating objects out of you. Trust me.
Chris

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> I'd expect much more deaths worldwide from stings if it was so toxic

Most people get stung on the feet or legs, not right in the heart.

rodney_T

Auditioning
My fondest memory of Steve Irwin was during an Australian interview, he was asked if he ever drank coffee. Steve laughed and replied that if he ever drank coffee, the top of his head would blow off.
Steve Irwin was a champion to animals, and a great Australian bloke. In Spinal Tap vernacular, he went all the way up to eleven.
Rest In peace Steve.

Condolences to his family.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks