What's new

RIP Christopher Reeve (1 Viewer)

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
RIP, Christopher Reeve. The Superman movies were my very favorite as a kid, even above Star Wars. From dressing up as Superman to "flying" with my arms spread while running through the yard, those movies were it. Off the screen, Reeve was brave. My prayers are with his family.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
I remember thinking when the first Supes movie came out whether or not they would be able to pull this thing off. Reeve did it, and he didn't even look like he was trying! I also enjoyed many of his other films including Deathtrap and Somewhere in Time.

I had the good fortune of meeting Chris Reeve about 14 years ago. He was in my area doing interviews about enviromental concerns. He lived just over the border in western Mass.

I was shocked when I learned of his accident. I'll always remember when it was, my wife and I were on our honeymoon and we heard it on the radio.

Those years that followed I have come to admire his courage and positive attitude as he became an inspiration to many others. He was a real role model and a hero and will be missed greatly.

Ric

DougFND

Stunt Coordinator
I first heard the news Sunday night, just before midnight. I was horribly busy with a project for work at the moment and had little time to let it soak in or think about it. It occupied most of my thoughts yesterday, though.

He was just an actor. That's usually what I say when I hear how sad everyone is that some famous actor has died. This time it's different.

I still look at "Superman: The Movie" as I did as a seven-year-old. It's that good! We can certainly acknowledge Richard Donner and John Williams for very integral parts of that, but we all know what it boiled down to: Christopher Reeve. Sure, he was given the chance to play an iconic character adored by millions the world over. The part was his to screw up. But, he nailed it - plain and simple. I believed he could fly. I believed he really did believe in truth, justice and the American way. I believed he loved Lois.

Thanks, Chris. Thanks for your part in making a seven-year-old believe in superheroes. Thanks even more for making an adult believe in heroes, as you lived your life after the accident in a way we all can admire. Anyone who doesn't believe he was going to walk again never heard him speak.

Kim D

Stunt Coordinator

This time it is different for me as well. It still surprises me just how sad this makes me feel.

I was sure he would walk again. I wanted to see it happen.

He was, and will continue to be, an inspiration.

Rest in peace.

- kim

Steve_E

Agent
I am absolutely gutted. Cannot believe he has gone. When my g/f rang me I just suddenly cried but then I thought of all the happy memories I had of a child which cheered me up a little. He was and still is one of my idols. He might have played Superman but he proved in real life he was a superman. Showed much courage in the condition he was in.
Rest in Peace Christopher Reeve. He'l be missed by many and the world will be a worser place without him.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
The only other celebrity that got a t.v. special on the day/day after death that I can recall was Lucille Ball. Dan Rather did a news special the day we all heard of her death.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
I was always a huge fan of Christopher Reeve as an actor, way before his accident. In fact, his fate as an actor introduced me to the notion of "typecasting" when I was a youngster. He was brilliant in Superman. Brilliant -- and why? Because of his fantastic portrayal of Clark Kent. And his utter conviction as Superman. He was incredible. Then Superman II comes out..."Blood...it's my blood." Wow. Then Somewhere in Time. Deathtrap. Monsignor. Street Smart. Later Superman sequels, not so good. Starring in a movie with Burt Reynolds in the late 80's...again, not so good. He's become a working actor, not a star.

Remains of the Day. Wow. Once again, Reeve reminds us of why he commands the frame. Of the great performances in that movie, and indeed the whole film is stuffed to bursting with brilliant performances, Reeve gave my favorite, and I said so back in 1993. I was disappointed he wasn't nominated for Supporting Actor. Reeve is as indelible in that movie as Hopkins and Thompson.

I've heard a number of people state that they're going to spin their Superman discs in the wake of Reeve's death as a rememberance.

You want to really honor him?

Go buy Somewhere in Time and Remains of the Day on DVD.

GeorgePaul

Second Unit
He's not really dead...so long as we remember him. And we WILL remember Christopher Reeve. For a long, long time.

AMC just ran Somewhere in Time yesterday. As much as I wanted to see it, I couldn't. That ending is tough enough to handle just when the characters are involved...I don't know when I'll be able to handle it again now that Superman is gone. :frowning:

Rest in peace, you real American hero.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
Did anyone happen to catch the A&E Biography program last night? I was hedging my bets that they would have a Biography tribute to Chris last night, and sure enough I was right. My wife and daughter watched it with me, and my daughter asked a lot of serious questions which I answered as best as I could.

It was a bit ironic, though, that during his life I never saw a Biography program on him on A&E, and if there was one, I never knew about it, and it would only be after his passing that I would finally catch it.

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
I thought I would share this with everybody. The struggle continues.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks