What's new

Rip Audio Cassette Tapes to MP3's? (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I have discovered I have several audio books on tape. I'd like to rip these into my itunes library on my iMac.

I have a very special one that I searched for online and it can't be found (at least I didn't). It's The Lost World by Doyle and it's read by James Mason. He does a terrific job, and I've listened to it many times. The only drawback is that it's abridged.

I've had this tape for 20 years, I think. I wan't to get it onto something more reliable and portable along with my other audio books on tape.

These are all audio books I have purchased.

Anybody here done this?

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Thanks for checking. Somewhere in my audible books I have Lost World, but it is the James Mason version I want to get ripped into an mp3. It is special, even abridged.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
By the way, you may not even need a "cassette/USB".

If your computers mic input is compatible with RCA(as in analog signal)...any cassette deck will work with a 1/8th-RCA cable.

IF you got a cassette deck, worth the shot.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Johnny Angell said:
Thanks for checking. Somewhere in my audible books I have Lost World, but it is the James Mason version I want to get ripped into an mp3. It is special, even abridged.
wont argue that. A great narrator elevates a book.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
DaveF said:
wont argue that. A great narrator elevates a book.
James Mason had one those voices, a pleasure to listen too. I'm remember him in North by Northwest..."You used real bullets. How unsporting of you."

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
schan1269 said:

If your computers mic input is compatible with RCA(as in analog signal)...any cassette deck will work with a 1/8th-RCA cable.

I'll look into that.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
schan1269 said:

The iMac does have an audio in/out (labeled with a headphones symbol), so I guess I could do what you suggest. However, wouldn't it be better quality to use a cassette with usb output?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
1. Depends on the quality of the cassette deck you've got.2. Depends on the quality of that input vs the USB.Both...at the moment, are unknowns.You might even try a bluetooth sender to the iMac...???(just a theory as I don't know if Apple comps can record that way)

bryan4999

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bryan Forbes
I'll just throw this out, because I know not everyone has this equipment - but the way I did my audio books on cassette was to record them on a standalone DVD recorder. (When there is no video feed, it is just black.) Then I used a program called DVD Audio Ripper to get the audio off of the DVDs in mp3 format. The DVD is also a great archival method, since they are more stable (we hope) than cassettes and you can play them almost anywhere. Another benefit is the long running time, so you can get a whole audio book on a single DVD. It worked for me.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
That's a great idea, Bryan. I'd jump all over it if I had a dvd recorder. What kind of input into the DVD recorder did you use?

bryan4999

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bryan Forbes
Johnny Angell said:
That's a great idea, Bryan. I'd jump all over it if I had a dvd recorder. What kind of input into the DVD recorder did you use?
I just used RCA cables from the cassette deck to the DVD recorder. Very standard connections.

If you feel it is worthwhile (maybe you have old VHS tapes that need to be digitized) you might pick up a DVD recorder; amazon has a Toshiba for about $100, the refurbs are going for $80. I did all my VHS that way and I found it much easier than using the computer with all the rendering, etc. Besides the audio books, I also archived many old cassettes I had of musical performances from school, some "letters on tape" from my Uncle, etc. Toshiba DR430 DVD Recorder

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Well, I do have some cassettes I wouldn't mind moving over to DVD's. I would imagine to do both the DVD's and the cassette tapes I'd have to hook up the dvd recorder into my HT system. Looks like RCA composites would be the best choice available for hookup to my HT. Once I've recorded a VHS cassette to dvd, I''m done with the vhs process. When I record an audiobook to dvd, I would then stick the dvd into my iMac and use whatever software I can find to rip it to mp3. Correct?

Was that DVD Audio Ripper a mac program?

Edit: Answer is No.

bryan4999

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bryan Forbes
I don't have mac, but I did a quick google search for DVD audio rippers for mac and quite a few results came up. They seem to call them DVD audio extractors rather than rippers, but sounds like they do the same thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks