What's new

RIP Alan Rickman (one of my favorite actors) (1 Viewer)

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Chuck Mayer said:
One of my earliest favorite actors.

His performance as Alexander Dane in Galaxy Quest (a movie loaded with great comic performances) is acidly sublime. He is the funniest thing in a movie with incredibly funny people.

A tremendous loss, and one that feels somewhat personal.
Feels personal to me too....and I was having a hard time figuring out why it was hitting me so hard. Then it dawned on me.....Die Hard was my son's (now 23) intro to big action movies, we watched the DVD together on Christmas when he was about 12 and it became a Christmas ritual for us. Also, my kids' grew up with Harry Potter (books and then movies) and I grew old(er) with them. The Harry Potter series was a seminal bonding experience for us...I generally read each book first (I was the fastest reader), and then they would read it in turn. And we were first day attendees for all the films. For my wife and I, Love, Actually is one of the first movies we saw together and is an annual Christmas ritual for us. And Galaxy Quest is another family favorite (we watched the BD over Christmas this year).

In many ways, Rickman's passing is a reminder of those days when we were all a bit younger. Kinda feels like we lost an old friend.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
This was a shock to me, earlier this evening.

I'm not aware of a role of his I didn't like.

One of my very, very favourite actors.

(I'm not sure anyone mentioned Dogma already, where he was Metatron, "the voice of God"; complete with the funny Karate Kid reference.)

But as I said: very different and very great performances.

May he really rest in peace

We can't.

Cees

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
Damn, 69 years old. Just like Bowie. This has been a lousy week.

Just saw him in a preview for Eye in the Sky yesterday before The Hateful Eight. An exceptional actor who will be sorely missed.

RIP

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Galaxy Quest my favorite, next up Die Hard. Loved his performances, always perfect. RIP to a great thespian.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Wow...just wow. Had no idea Alan R had cancer. :( Big loss. As Chuck stated, this is kind of personal as the roles he took on truly did become a part of the audience. Terrific personality for the bad guy...engaging as well. And also underrated as a funny man with tremendous comedic timing. Professor Snape? I LOVED HIM IN THIS.

RIP Alan. You will be sorely missed. :(

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
RIP Mr. Rickman.

I enjoyed his performances in Die Hard the most, next Galaxy Quest and then Snape from Harry Potter. He seemed like a different person in each one. He was also great in Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves. He will be sorely missed. :(

Jacinto

Second Unit
Real Name
Jacinto
One I haven't seen mentioned in this thread yet was his role in the January Man with Kevin Kline. Many great scenes in that one and so many other films. I know it's morbid, but since I heard the news, I keep hearing Hans Gruber's voice talking about Takagi's death in Die Hard:

"...so he won't be joining us for the rest of his life."

I made sure the kids had their homework done early, I'm ordering pizza and putting on Galaxy Quest tonight with the family. As hysterical as the film is, I'm confident I will be tearing up at this part:

Quellek: You'll forgive my impertinence, Sir, but even though we have never before met, I have always considered you as a father to me.

Sir Alexander Dane: Quellek... by Grabthar's hammer... by the Suns of Worvan... you shall be... avenged.

Godspeed, Mr. Rickman.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Commander Alan Rickman.jpg

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
My two favorites...

Something the Lord Made

Perfume(something serial killer....)

Anyway...a shock as all.

God speed on your Quest...

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
alan-rickman.jpg

He's with Alanis now...

Not sure if it's a terrible time to be 69 right now, or if 1946-1947 was a great time to be born.

Either way, two giants of their respective fields gone in one week. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks