What's new

RIM & Apple Benefit as Android Tablet Sales drop (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Interesting look at the new numbers:

http://betanews.com/2011/09/14/playbook-touchpad-steal-share-from-android-tablets/

Apple took a 68.3 percent share in the second quarter, up about 3 percent from the previous period, according to research firm IDC. Android tablet share on the other hand dropped significantly, falling to 26.8 percent from 34 percent in the first quarter.

Some of this drop could be explained by the release of the RIM PlayBook during the period. While sales of the device haven't been exactly what RIM was looking for, it still managed to grab about 4.9 percent of the market.

Apple has a predominant "in the clubhouse" lead on the tablet market, making up 68%. The largest next competitor who owned a lion market share is Android; but Android's tablets are fragmented amongst at least 8 different vendors. While RIM's 4.9% share doesn't seem significant, it's a big leap from 0%, and more then that, considering the number of vendors on the Android tablet, it would likely represent a real run at the largest tablet vendor (probably Samsung at the moment).

Android's nearly 8% drop in market share tells us that right now, consumers aren't very happy with the Android tablet experience. It was tried, and it didn't get "over the hump" to continue to grow.

I don't think RIM is in a place to "challenge" Android or Apple. But I think if RIM felt it could get to 8%-10% market penetration it would absolutely be a larger vendor then any Android platform host alone; and that may be all they need to tilt the tables.

I'm more convinced that the fractured ecosphere presented by Android is going to grow more and more problematic, not less and less as time goes on.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Honestly think those numbers are pure BS. Do you honestly believe that Android Tablets are selling through to consumers 1/2 as well as iPads? That's madness. RIM posted that they shipped IN not through 200,000 tablets last quarter. That's 4% of the total tablet sales? Pure BS. http://thisismynext.com/2011/09/15/rim-q2-2012-earnings/

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Are they maybe including all the $100-200 el cheapo Androids *plus* the Nook Color, Archos of the world, et al?

_Man_

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Hmmm, even if they are do you know people buying those in volume? Are "urban" inner city folks flocking to em? Do legit poor people see android as a cost effective alternative to iPads??

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
You're mixing quarters. The issue here was the quarter prior, where RIM shipped 500k Playbooks, which probably did get adopted (mostly enterprise). They've shipped another 200k. This is way below their goal (1.4M in 2 Quarters, so they are at about 1/2 of what they expected); but to make up 4% of the market in a quarter at 500,000 isn't actually that surprising. It would be right in line with Apple's per quarter announcement of millions equalling about 70%. Android at about 26% would be a few million Android tablets, which I could buy as well. Between the Xoom, Tab and Nook Color, along with all the wonky $100-$200 el-cheapo tablets that get fobbed everywhere, I could see a few million of those moving.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Maybe. I don't believe RIM has shipped 250k ThRUOGH in lifetime sales regardless of A enterprise focus B what their ship TO numbers are.

Users who are viewing this thread