What's new

Prometheus (2012) (1 Viewer)

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
Tony, what does that AMBASSADOR title mean? I've never seen that before.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
Posting your comment on my facebook page, Ron. People will need to know this. Dying to see this flick. Hope it goes out as an R-rated one, too.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
A few of us have been entitled with that. We welcome new members to the board when we see them.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Ronald Epstein said:
He did say the film was quite long (near 3 hours) but INCREDIBLE.
I'm guessing this was probably more of an in-progress cut your friend saw -- I can see Ridley trimming this running-time down slightly for the final theatrical release, though possibly with a longer BD version afterward.
Ridley is easily one of my favorite directors, but he's also a bit of a conundrum in some ways. He's a true artist, but he's also a studio workhorse and a good company-man; he brings his films in on time and on budget, but then gives them over to studios to do what they want with, no matter what that may be, because "he didn't pay for them," but then has enough swing down the line to re-edit and re-release most of them how he wants anyhow.
He's very realistic about modern Hollywood and the compromises he has to make, but as a consequence, it's why you probably see more "director's cuts" from him than anyone else. The man is the very epitome of Hollywood's "Art-vs.-Commerce" struggle.
Regardless, extremely stoked for this. Thanks for the heads-up.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
This and the Dark Knight Rises are my two must see films of the summer. Would be nice to finally have a film related to the Alien canon however tenuous that is actually worthwhile and will hopefully be successful enough to make Fox realize that Alien Vs Predator is not the way to go with this universe.
Hey, perhaps Jim Cameron can make a sequel to Prometheus :)

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Maybe they are just trying to make a clean break from all of the sequels and the Alien Vs. Predator films? The recent Predator film probably had all that baggage to deal with.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I like the fact it's not being advertised as a prequel. Diffferent story line that exist in the same universe is fine with me. It's a big world out there, and it's not hard to buy into that other things are actually happening outside of Ripley. Plus I don't want them to have an excuse to try and remake her.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Simon Massey said:
http://moviemet.com/news/james-cameron-could-direct-prometheus-sequel
Hey, perhaps Jim Cameron can make a sequel to Prometheus
:)
I'd love to see James Cameron make another Alien movie but is there any chance that's an April Fool's Day story? If Fox wants a sequel, I can't believe they'd have any desire to wait until about 2020 or 2025 when Cameron is finished two more Avatars and then makes Prometheuses (Prometheui?).

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
I was watching the end portions of the Alien Resurrection documentary on the ALIEN Blu-ray box set where various involved parties pondered the future direction of the franchise. It seemed like the majority felt that the series had become a dead horse and that a totally new direction was needed.
Naturally, if Prometheus is a big success we'll be back to the money-making machine. I will be looking forward to Prometheuses, Prometheus 3, Prometheus Resurrection, Prometheus vs. Predator and Prometheuses vs. Predator: Requiem. Then the "Whither Prometheus 5?" studio debate followed by a total reboot involving vampires.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I for one am looking forward to a co-directed Scott/Bay picture called Prometheuseses vs Optimus .

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Prometheus will make some money when it arrives in theaters but I'm not expecting it to break box office records. Sure, it's a well-established franchise, but it's still not Spider Man or Harry Potter. There are no hot teens fornicating at will, it's not a Pixar flick, the title doesn't won't even inspire legions of people to flock to see the film. Actually, I'm hoping it'll be a kick-ass movie that WON'T make tons of money so that they don't ruin it with crappy sequels.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
I have a fond memory of seeing ALIEN theatrically in 1979 with a childhood buddy of mine. My parents went to see it with us, thinking this was going to be the next STAR WARS. None of us expected what this movie delivered, starting with the sweaty space truckers dropping F-bombs at each other every 2 minutes. To a couple of 13 year-old dipshits like us, ALIEN was a comedy tour-de-force. The two of us sat up front and laughed hysterically at everything that occurred, including the part where a guy gets a big, wet hand stuck to his face for like an hour.
Now, my Dad's a big guy, but once he nearly passed out at the sight of his own blood after cutting his finger slightly in the woods. He and my Mom were digging up minerals for a rock collection and I guess he chopped a bit of his finger open with a hammer. He took one look at his hand, went "Huuugh..." and flopped over. My Mom had to heft his limp mass around and sit him on a rock while she pulled the Wrigley's gum from his slack mouth. I remember hiding behind a tree, staying far away from the two of them, distantly realizing that my father was mortal after all.
So you could just imagine what happened next in ALIEN.
When the chest-burster scene played out. my friend and I were laughing even harder than ever. I cast a glance backwards in the theater and could see my Dad, lit up clearly by the stark white ALIEN dining set, practically wretching into his popcorn, my Mom once again by his side tending to his woozy delirium. I remember him laughing it off and asking the two of us, "What is this... *choke* ...shit you've taken us to see?!"

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I was 14 when i saw it I also read the book version, I didnt think any of it was funny even a little bit and I'm glad I wasnt in that theater because me and my friends probably would have smacked you in the back of the head or thrown our sodas at you.
:rolleyes:

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Yeah, I gotta agree with Tony, Jonathan. Your fond memories of the night means you ruined the movie for others in the theater. I would have been in your face.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I always think when a person laughs during a film like ALIEN it isn't because they think the film is funny. The film is actually disturbing, but the people laughing don't want others to think they are pussies, so they put on a false bravado.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks