What's new

Prometheus (2012) (1 Viewer)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I *did* notice in the trailer that Noomi seems to have borrowed Ripley's panties...

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
joshEH said:
I will kill every single one of you and your families if it meant I got to see this thing right now.
I can't believe it's been so long since Ridley made a science fiction movie. After viewing these amazing new trailers, I want to murder anyone who might have previously influenced him away from the genre. At least this finally appears to be a prequel that we can all agree will likely be good.
These trailers do look good, and make the film look interesting, but it's rather premature to pronounce this The Next Great Science Fiction Film based solely on trailers. The trailer for TPM looked good, and we all know how that turned out. Let's wait for the actual film before we decide how good it is.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
I'm keeping my expectations in check; that said, if it turns out better than Alien vs. Predator, it's a win.
But I'll say this -- judging by that Q & A, Ridley and Lindelof seem pretty confident that they've got something great on their hands, and there's been no contrary evidence in these kickass trailers.
Teasers are always better at announcing the possibility of a thing, if done right. True, it is hard to frame with one's own copious imagination, outside of the movie itself. But I think this extended look at the actual thing itself definitely holds together.
Even just the look of the movie, its cinematic presence, heaves with portent.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
joshEH said:
I'm keeping my expectations in check; that said, if it turns out better than Alien vs. Predator, it's a win.
Yeah, but being better than AVP is almost a gimmee with Ridley Scott at the helm. I thought Alien 4 was worlds better than AVP...and that isn't saying a whole hell of a lot. Ridley Scott is an amazing director, and his visusal style is wickedly cool. If this movie is indeed tied to the ALIEN films, and it tries to explain away the ALIEN creatures
I will be more than a little upset. Some cinematic origins a best left to the imagination.

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
Holy Moley!!!! I stumbled on to the second trailer last night on Apple's trailer website and then immediately came back to this thread. The newest trailer is good, but wow, the UK trailer is much more intriguing to me. Two things I am excited about:
  • It's going to be in IMAX 3D. Goodness, how did I miss this? News to me!
  • For the most part the cast is lessor known actors, some proven & some unproven. Smart call.
In the Yahoo chat, Charlize was asked directly "Is this a prequel?" and her answer was "It's not a prequel to Alien, but a prequel to Thelma & Louise."
TRANSLATION: "Riddley is making us all say it's not, but it is."
I'm very excited about this film. Welcome back to the genre Riddley!
Peace,
DM

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It looks like its ALIEN related, but it still doesn't look like a sequel to me. It looks more like a reboot or alternate timeline story.
Edit: Sequel should have been prequel.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Looks like an Alien prequel to me, no matter how much
Ridley Scott refuses to acknowledge it.
Having just seen this once, and without freezing individual
frames and providing screenshots, I get quick glimpses of
what looks like eggs and the derelict spacecraft.
That floor shot has been in the previous trailers.
It was a floor covered with what looks more like jars lined up on the floor below a giant face
Early versions of the script for the original "Alien" described the facehuggers coming from "urns" instead of eggs. I would have to imagine that the jars/urns shown in the trailer are likely tied to this.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Originally Posted by WillG /t/316483/ridley-scotts-prometheus-leaked-trailer/60#post_3908324
Early versions of the script for the original "Alien" described the facehuggers coming from "urns" instead of eggs. I would have to imagine that the jars/urns shown in the trailer are likely tied to this.
If you're familiar with some of the various backstories that have been suggested for the "Space Jockey", you could also consider this:

One backstory suggested that the Space Jockey alien race used the Xenomorphs as weapons (a precursor to Weyland/Yutani?) and if that were the case, the "pods" in the trailer look could very easily pass for "artillery shells" for lack of a better term.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Yeah I know of the back story of which you speak, and Ridley put forth this idea as well in the DVD commentary.
I just caught up with all the trailers posted in the past couple of days, and they do appear excellent. Although, I'm really trying to temper expectations because I'm logically thinking that the movie could not possibly live up to what has been building up in my mind. Prove me wrong, Ridley, prove me wrong!
Side Note:
Holy Crap, looked at the post I just made and I see this makes it 5,000 for me. Been a fun 9 years so far, Gentlemen.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thought I'd chime in. I saw the trailers too. Looks very promising.
I also am very suspect of Damon Lindelof. I think he's stumbled into this because he got lucky with Lost. I don't like what his associates did with the Star Trek prequel. Their intentions were good, but I just didn't like it.
I'm also concerned that the trailer sort of gave me an Alien 4 vibe. By that I mean we have all these new characters, like Alien 4 had an all new crew. I didn't like any of them, nor did I like Ripley in that movie. Ridley Scott gave us all memorable characters in Alien. I know he knows what he's doing. So hopefully these new characters are as memorable as the originals. I don't expect to see or need an Ellen Ripley character either as long as these characters are strong and original.
So hopefully Ridley Scott got a good script he helped to fashion and he's given us a good film. I look forward to seeing it.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
Why all the excitement? The trailer makes it look like a beat for beat remake of Alien with just the specifics changed. Mining ship gets signal and investigates to scientists discover map to world and investigates. Crew man finds egg room and gets infected to crew man finds egg room and gets infected. Creature chases and kills crew to creature chases and kills crew. Remaining survivor discovers company wants creature brought back to Earth to alien ship is going to launch to Earth. It looks to be about as much of a prequel as The Thing prequel was to the '82 version. Usually everyone is complaining about the dearth of new ideas and constant remakes. What makes this movie so special to get a free pass?
It looks like it might be good on its own but it has been done before and done well.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Ridley Scott. That's why.
I saw the trailer in front of John Carter tonight, and I got a chill down my spine I haven't felt since 1979. Maybe it's just nostalgia for the first R rated film I ever saw, but I'm not about to miss this on opening day.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
SilverWook said:
Ridley Scott. That's why.
Same for me. While I'd like this to be both a prequel to Alien, I'd also like it to be an original. However, if Ridley delivers the chills and thrills of Alien, I'll be happy.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Saw the trailer before Hunger Games tonight. It was a somewhat generic sci-fi preview with sublime scoring. The music and music editing was incredible. The film itself had a feel of "StarGate" but not as good.

And knowing nothing more about the movie that this trailer, I don't understand if it's "scif" or "horror" or "adventure" or what... I'm intrigued, but not blown away.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
One thing that I saw in the trailer looked very familiar to me. The water fall.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
New TV spot with a bunch of new footage in it.
BTW, I have a pal on another super-nerd forum, and apparently there's some thought that Scott has actually gone beyond Giger's unused Alien temple-designs, and borrowed some stuff from his Jodo Dune-work, too.
"Castle Harkonnen" has been mentioned, but I'm avoiding that sort of fine-toothed-comb examination of the images at the moment. There's at least a few decades available after the movie comes out for that level of investigation/deconstruction.

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer
Based on the trailers and TV spots, here's my take on what I think we are in for:
Prometheus is akin to 2001: A Space Odyssey. When the humans found the monolith on the moon and touched it, it sent a message toward Jupiter. Basically, the Other knew that humans had the technology making them capable of space travel. The message was benign and led humans to the formation of a new solar system to study (except for Europa: attempt no landing there;) It also was an opportunity for Dave Bowman to see the creation of the universe and everything in it. The messages found on Earth in the various prehistoric temples, monuments and archeological sites were a message, too. When we had the technology to decipher the messages and act on them, we go to LV-426. The message is malevolent. The Space Jockeys want to wipe us out. Their weapon - the bioengineered Aliens. It appears as though we ruin their plans and crash the ship that spells our doom, at least until the events of Alien.
Even if Prometheus is a riff on 2001, I'm still seeing it at my earliest convenience.
If I was in charge of production, I would fast-track a sequel to Prometheus/Alien and call it Alien Holocaust. I would use a time-travel scenario that pits Ripley and the Earth against the Aliens before they set out to LV-426 in Aliens. It could even take place entirely on Gateway Space Station. Of course, Weyland-Yutani Corp would be working to get the alien biotech. Imagine armies of androids fighting the aliens. What if an android had a face hugger? Would there be a chest burster?
It could work -- right?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
A friend of mine just saw Prometheus at a screening this week.

I had only 5 minutes to really talk to him about it.

Some possible spoilers ahead....

He described it as neither really a prequel or sequel to Aliens. It has a
bit of Blade Runner in it; robots who are human and humans who are
robots; competing industrial companies; Humans given a very special
gift (the essence of life) who ultimately get greedy with it.

Yeah, just got the highlights. Will get more early next week when I
see him again.

He did say the film was quite long (near 3 hours) but INCREDIBLE.

Consider all of this speculative. This is all second-hand information
and I am not responsible for its validity.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks