What's new

Ridley Scott SEs? (1 Viewer)

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
And next year we can expect a new Gladiator SE, with a longer cut of the film overseen by Mr. Scott. That's one I don't mind double-dipping for.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if Charlie de Lauzirika can tell us if this upcoming release of 1492 is just a barebones disc, or a nice 2-disc set with extras and things... Please? :)

CraigL

Screenwriter
How about Black Rain? I'm dying for an SE of that :frowning:

Since Paramount released their schedule for the year...I guess it's hoping for 2005.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
How about Black Rain? I'm dying for an SE of that Since Paramount released their schedule for the year...I guess it's hoping for 2005.
Paramount isn't exactly known for taking catalog titles and giving them special edition treatment. It's probably a long shot.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Why would Paramount bother with a re-release of Black Rain unless it's going to be an SE?

Is the current disc non-anamorphic? (I haven't watched it since I got my widescreen set.)

CraigL

Screenwriter
Yes, it's non-anamorphic.

And I believe Ridley wants to do SE's of all his films.

And about the catalog title re-issues, see:

Hunt For Red October
Patriot Games
Clear & Present Danger
Top Gun
Deep Impact
The Untouchables

Shaun

Second Unit
Yeah, according to The Digital Bits, a new edition of Gladiator is coming out, possibly with a new cut of the film. Was there really anything wrong with the previous edition?

CraigL

Screenwriter
NO. Previous edition was 2 discs with DTS.
Pointless.

On the "plus" side, looks like Black Rain is coming out on HD-DVD ;)

Sean Richardson

Stunt Coordinator
The two-disc has been out-of-print for a while, replaced by a one-disc, probably so they could release a two-disc down the line (and I guess we're "down the line" now).

Not that I disagree with you; it seems pretty pointless. Ridley Scott doesn't seem to have a problem with using "Director's Cut" purely as a marketing term, based on his 'Alien' notes.

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor
How about the reported "simplification" of the Legend: Ultimate Edition. Sounds like they'll be turning the two-disc set into a one-disc deal. Does that mean they are dropping one of the cuts of the film? And I'm sure a bunch of the special features are going to go, as well.

And, like with the Gladiator: Signature Edition, do you think the two-discer will go out of print after the new release? If this is the case, then I'm going to order the current Ultimate Edition ASAP, as I never did get around to buying it.

Any advice? Perhaps Mr. De Lauzirika could fill me in, if he would be so kind?

Real Name
Charles de Lauzirika
I'll be happy to fill you in, Elijah. Here's the scoop: my last name is just Lauzirika. The "de" is only used when you state my full name, much as if it were a middle name. And it's never capitalized. Well, there's my update. Enjoy! :)

(Sorry, but they misspelled my name at the DVD Exclusive Awards show last night during the announcement of nominees for Best Overall DVD -- even after I won last year-- so I'm still smarting about that. Thanks for at least getting the spelling right!)

In all seriousness, there's some really great stuff on the way in 2005 and beyond. So far, the next Ridley Scott SE is turning out to be one of my absolute favorites of all the DVDs I've produced...something I never would have predicted when I started work on it last year.

As for "Legend," I would say that if you ever had any interest in the Ultimate Edition, then yes, you should get it. Soon.

Joe:C

Second Unit
Does that mean we'll finally see the fabled Bladerunner special edition?

For those with any interest in Ridley Scott or the movie Legend I would recommend picking up the Ultimate edition. It's really a great set that actually deserves the "Ultimate" moniker.

JackKay

Second Unit
Also, isn't Black Rain coming out in HD-DVD? I believe it its one of their first releases.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
I cannot agree more about the Legend: UE. I picked it up on a blind buy, having never seen the film before, and it took only a few minutes of watching the 90-minute U.S. version on Disc 2 that I switched over to the 110-minute director's cut on Disc 1. I was so immediately surprised at how much more enjoyable the film was! Very atmospheric, right down to Jerry Goldsmith's score (now if we can only get an official CD release of the original Goldsmith score, that'll be so cool!). One thing that really made Scott's original cut even better than the U.S. version is that he saves Darkness' first full on-screen appearance until much later in the film, rather than having him appear in the U.S. cut very early on.

As for the Alien disc on the Quadrilogy set, Scott did a really wonderful thing by having his original 1979 cut and his re-edited version on the same disc, and it's the perfect complement to the previous DVD release. A very class act through and through!

I absolutely drooled over the first Gladiator: SE release - another blind purchase, and not only is it big in scope, but it tells such a human story in Maximus' journey. I don't know why Dreamworks would want to condense an already excellent 2-disc SE into a single-disc version, but I'm hoping that the upcoming UE will give it a good run for its money when I pick it up.

Now if Scott and the WB will get everything cleared up with Blade Runner, I'll be ready to go to town! :)

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
they misspelled my name at the DVD Exclusive Awards show last night during the announcement of nominees for Best Overall DVD -- even after I won last year-- so I'm still smarting about that.
Oh man, someone needs to tell the editor of the upcoming UK book on Blade Runner edited by Will Brooker (no relation) from Wallflower Press, because I suspect they've only got a 50% chance of having gotten your name right there.

Real Name
Charles de Lauzirika
Unfortunately I haven't heard anything new about "Blade Runner." I believe Capt. Bryant said it best: "Now this is a bad one, the worst yet. I need the ol' Blade Runner. I need your magic."

Bill: Jerry Goldsmith's wonderful "Legend" score has been officially available for years. I remember picking up the LP as far back as 1986, but an expanded version was later released on CD by Silva Screen. It was then re-released on CD again around the time of the Ultimate Edition DVD and here's an Amazon link if you're interested:

Jerry Goldsmith's LEGEND

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks