What's new

Richard Diamond, Private Detective (1 Viewer)

Ian K McLachlan

Second Unit
Real Name
Ian Kenneth McLachlan
I have one DVD of Richard Diamond episodes and I would like to see more of this series.

rjd0309

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
Ian K McLachlan said:
I have one DVD of Richard Diamond episodes and I would like to see more of this series.

There is a sampler dvd that was released by Passport in 2006, which contains two Season One Richard Diamond episodes in very good quality -- ep 1.05 "The Picture of Fear" and ep 1.08 "The Chess Player."

The only other source that I'm aware of is a 13-disc bootleg set of broadcast recordings that someone made from Channel 22 Seattle many years ago. Two episodes are missing from that set -- ep 1.04 "The Homicide Habit" and ep 3.13 "Echo Of Laughter."

There is also some disagreement as to whether 12 or 13 episodes were filmed for Season One. The existence of episode 1.13 "Secret Cargo" is in dispute.

rjd0309

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
Talking Pictures TV, an oldies channel in England, is now listing episodes of Richard Diamond on their schedule. Almost-daily broadcasts begin Sept. 12th.

TPTV has the rights to the Four Star catalogue in the UK, and has been showing a lot of other Four Star shows, and old movies from the 40's and 50's.

In response to an email query from myself, they told me that they've spent the last couple of months digitizing the old one-inch analogue tapes of Richard Diamond.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Talking Pictures TV, an oldies channel in England, is now listing episodes of Richard Diamond on their schedule. Almost-daily broadcasts begin Sept. 12th.

TPTV has the rights to the Four Star catalogue in the UK, and has been showing a lot of other Four Star shows, and old movies from the 40's and 50's.

In response to an email query from myself, they told me that they've spent the last couple of months digitizing the old one-inch analogue tapes of Richard Diamond.

Once it's digitized, maybe a DVD release will happen. I can dream, can't I?

rjd0309

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
Once it's digitized, maybe a DVD release will happen. I can dream, can't I?

It's not an unreasonable dream. Talking Pictures TV is operated by the same people who run Renown Dvd in the UK.

If memory serves, they released Honey West on dvd in the UK, and have broadcast the series on their Talking Pictures channel. It's not unreasonable to think that they might obtain the UK dvd rights to Richard Diamond. I guess it would depend upon cost/profit projections.

Silverking

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Street
Talking Pictures is indeed owned by Renown Films in the UK. They are a small family run concern.Their TV channel mostly screens old B/W films which haven't been seen in decades on other TV channels here. They also run old TV series which seldom get aired anywhere , recently 'Target the Corrupters' & 'The Lloyd Bridges Show'.

I know one of the owners, Sarah, who has told me that owing to the high costs imposed by the BBFC (British Board of Film Classiification ) who charge by the minute to classify any DVD released in the UK, it is completely uneconomical to release any any long running TV series.. They did put out 'Honey West' but this was a re-release ,,already certified ,when it was released by another company.

Therefore a UK release of Diamond on DVD is'nt likely to happen. Anyway at least it will get a TV showing here as we never got it first time around. They will also be showing the old Boris Karloff series 'Colonel March of Scotland Yard' in September.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Talking Pictures is indeed owned by Renown Films in the UK. They are a small family run concern.Their TV channel mostly screens old B/W films which haven't been seen in decades on other TV channels here. They also run old TV series which seldom get aired anywhere , recently 'Target the Corrupters' & 'The Lloyd Bridges Show'.

I know one of the owners, Sarah, who has told me that owing to the high costs imposed by the BBFC (British Board of Film Classiification ) who charge by the minute to classify any DVD released in the UK, it is completely uneconomical to release any any long running TV series.. They did put out 'Honey West' but this was a re-release ,,already certified ,when it was released by another company.

Therefore a UK release of Diamond on DVD is'nt likely to happen. Anyway at least it will get a TV showing here as we never got it first time around. They will also be showing the old Boris Karloff series 'Colonel March of Scotland Yard' in September.

Ah, but I am not in the UK. Perhaps if they were to license their digitizing to someone in US . . . .

rjd0309

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
As of Sep 12th, Talking Pictures TV has begun broadcasting eps of Richard Diamond in the UK, beginning with the first two episodes of Season 4, not Season 1.

In response to an email query from myself, TPTV said that they do not have the entire series, as some eps were in poor condition. (Rats, I was hoping to see the entire run.)

On the plus side, the picture quality is very good.

Last edited:

Silverking

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Street
I'm not sure that is entirely true. Although made by Four Star (for which TP has the rights in the UK) I think the ownership of the first 3 seasons lies with other parties. The 4th season has previously been shown in the UK by the now defunct Superchannel & Bravo. On a plus note they do seem to have some decent prints of Colonel March of Scotland Yard which is nice to upgrade from those terrible old gray market copies..

rjd0309

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
I emailed TPTV to ask about whether they were going to show the entire run of the series. Sarah emailed back to say that they don't have all of the episodes of the series, as many were in poor condition or not available from the previous owner.

I understand that you personally know Sarah, Noel, and Neill, so please feel free to verify this information yourself.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I thought we talked about this years ago. Ownership of the series is split between CBS and Four Star.

rjd0309

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
I thought we talked about this years ago. Ownership of the series is split between CBS and Four Star.

Thanks, Neil. So, if Four Star only has the rights to Season 4 -- and Talking Pictures has the rights to the Four Star catalogue in the UK -- then that would explain why Talking Pictures is airing Season 4.

Since they began broadcasting Richard Diamond episodes 4 days ago, Talking Pictures has aired episodes 4.01, 4.02, 4.06, and 4.08. The information that I was given by Sarah at Talking Pictures -- about some episodes being in poor condition or unavailable -- might explain why some episodes have been skipped.

Silverking

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Street
Could be , although Superchannel & Bravo showed them in the late 90's (which I taped ) & the prints looked very good.

It was never shown originally in the UK so not sure what the order might be. Often these old US series are shown in production order rather than the US broadcast order when screened in the UK. 'The Fugitive' for example. when repeated by BBC 2 a few years back was in production order which differed considerably to the US broadcast order.'Colonel March' currently airing on TP is also not following the order of episode guides.

rjd0309

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
As of today, Talking Pictures has begun to rebroadcast their set of Richard Diamond episodes. The twelve episodes that they've aired, all from Season Four, are eps 1, 2, 6, 8, 9, 10, 11, 15, 16, 19, 24, and 26. I doubt that we'll see any more. :( Shame. I was hoping for the entire series.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks