What's new

Rhino Strikes Again! Too Close for Comfort - 22 minute cut episodes (1 Viewer)

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Here's a response from Rhino:

If anyone knows of specific scenes that have been edited send them my way and I'll pass them over. Rhino has gone to the trouble to locate original elements before (My Favorite Martian), so this isn't an ALF situation.

Gord

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
Rhino's response is heartening....glad to see that if they have made an error they will take responsibility for it and correct it, unlike so many other companies.

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
What's odd about Rhino's response is the discrepancy over the set's total time, which it cited as being 455 minutes (24 minutes per episode) in advance materials but then changed on the actual set to 420 minutes (22 minutes per episode). Something obviously changed.

There are commercially released VHS tapes of some episodes. What are the durations of those? If they're longer, they would certainly be a reference for Rhino.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
I think they were assured that they had the original masters and then didn't bother to check. I think blame rests with both parties; DLT for giving them the wrong masters and Rhino for not checking what they were given.

Gord

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

When people complained about them adding extra sound effects to Transformers season 1, they said the problem would be fixed in the next release. The next release (Season 2 part 1) had the same problem, and so did the release after that one (Season 2 part 2). They didn't actually include an unaltered audio track until the season 3 part 1 set.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
So, has anyone found edits, or is everyone going by what the Amazon.com review said? I haven't received any response to this post.

Gord

Mark To

Supporting Actor
I watched a first season episode taped off ABC alongside one of the DVD versions. The ABC episode runs 24:38, the DVD 22:00 so there is 2:38 cut from the show. There are no full scenes cut. What they did was they edited out snippets of dialogue, 10 secs here, 15 there, etc. So its not like they just snipped out a couple of minutes from one place. The cuts are throughout the show.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
How could you not know the episodes were edited as the transfers were being done? Don't the people at Rhino know that shows from that era were around 24 minutes? If not, maybe they need to do a little more research on the shows before releasing them to the public with advertisements that they are "uncut." If you are going to publicize this fact, you better make darned sure you know what you are talking about.

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor
I think Rhino wants to show a list of instances from where the show was cut to the people who own the Too Close For Comfort masters.

But it is really sad that of all the fans who complained about Too Close For Comfort being cut that nobody was willing to do any work in order to make sure this problem doesn't happen to Season Two...

Paul

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

I'm coming to the realization that the studios putting out these discs really don't know anything about the programs themselves, about how long episodes of an 80's sitcom were vs. today, about how there are edited syndicated editions that are different from the original broadcasts, or about how fanatical some of the fans of these shows can be and what they expect.

All they know is that they have found a product that they can manufacture and sell. That's the sum total of their knowledge and effort.

:thumbsdown:

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Mark, please give specific examples. Do it like this one I've made up:

On Episode 3, at the 5 minute 43 second mark, Pete should say "I'm sure glad I got to know you, and learned all those things about gambling". Instead Pete says, "I'm sure glad I got to know you." and doesn't say the rest.

Something like that. Be VERY specific! Rhino needs to go armed with info of that nature in order to file a complaint with the people they got the masters from.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
It's hard to be specific because VCRs were uncommon in the early 80s, and trying to find network airings of these shows depend on:

1. Of those who watched the show, who recorded it.

2. Of those who recorded it, who kept their tape copies.

3. Of those who kept their tape copies, who will make one for you.

I have been able to find off-air recordings from as early as September 1977 from people who were sick of the syndication edits to TV shows. My family didn't have a VCR until December 1984.

No, do not ask, we do not have any episodes of Too Close for Comfort.

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor

With two of the most recent cases, Alf and Ren & Stimpy, the creators were directly involved with the project so you can't fault the studios for not bringing in experts on the show.

Paul

Mark To

Supporting Actor
Okay, I screened the Rhino DVD alongside the episode I taped off of ABC in the original run. I picked the episode, A Friend In Need, and here is a detailed discription of all of the edits:

Opening Credits - about 30 seconds before showing the show title and the shot of the house there are various scenes of San Francisco, including the Golden Gate bridge, cable cars, etc. This first 30 seconds is cut out.

3:10 - Sara: But he should have someone to talk it over with
Jackie: well, he's seeing a psychiatrist. That's someone.
Sara: I mean a friend

4:40 - Monroe stands up
Monroe: Good
Henry: Suit yourself
Monroe sits down again
Henry: Now, Monroe

5:34 Monroe: My problem is
Henry: Talk about it, it'll make you feel better.

9:09 Sara typing
Jackie comes in door
Jackie: I think I'm losing my mind.
Sara: I always thought you lost it years ago.
Jackie: I just stopped at the cleaners to pick up my red dress. And, just as I thought, I picked it up 3 weeks ago.
Sara: Well, then it has to be here in the apartment.
Jackie: But where? I've looked every place but under the rug.

15:15 Sara: I mean what kind of girl do you think...

16:45 Sara: Well, he can't use his apartment. His roommate is cramming for an exam.
Jackie reaction shot
Sara: Jackie...

19:51 Mrs. Raskin: Oh, how sweet

21:11 Mrs. Raskin shakes hands with Monroe
Henry: Monroe...

22:06 Henry: What?
Surrogate: Oh, never mind. Just don't expect a student discount.

23:07 10 second bumper, Too Close for Comfort will be right back

23:13 Ending tag scene to wrap up the show, runs 55 seconds, which is completely cut out. I did not bother to transcribe this.

Total running time, including bumper: 24:38

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Mark, that will be helpful for Rhino to go back to the company and say, "YOU DIDN'T GIVE US THE BROADCAST MASTERS!!"

I'll forward it on.

Gord

Greg Madsen

Second Unit
I would love to pick up Too close for comfort, Alf, and Make Room for Daddy at DDD right now but I won't. I refuse to support these sloppy releases.

Since Rhino advertised this set as Uncut they really need to recall and fix it. Promising to release season 2 uncut does nothing for me. I am not buying season 2 if I do not own season 1.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
I also would like to thank Mark To for his efforts in this. Although I'm not a fan of this show and I wasn't going to buy this anyway, it is important that quality control problems such as this are publicized so that future releases of other shows are done right the first time.

Kudos to Rhino for standing up for the consumer here.

Steve

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Just curious, has anyone heard if Rhino actually took Mark's info to their provider and, if so, what kind of response they got.

Thanks,

Steve

Lee Jamilkowski

Stunt Coordinator
Good to know Rhino is taking a stand. Too bad Universal still denies that the opening narration is wrong on the final episode of Quantum Leap's first season even though virtually everyone knows it. But at least some companies are loyal to the customers. I respect that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks