What's new

rg6 satellite cable vs regular cable (1 Viewer)

dan scorpio

Stunt Coordinator
ok...after 5 hours of swearing screaming i think i finally figured it out..... let me tell you
i just got a new entertainment unit,so i had to reconect all the components, the co axe cable coming from the house to the satellite in i used normal cable from the output of the satellite box i used rg6 cable to the tv and i got all snow and inteferance, i worked and worked trying different connections etc.......is this the problem? the rg6 cable cannot be used, i have to use normal cable (rg59) i think its called

MikeTz

Stunt Coordinator
Dan:

RG-59 and RG-6 are both video coax cable. They have the same 75 ohm impedance but the RG-59 has more loss over the length of the cable. Usually the cable company uses RG-6 or RG-6Q (which is RG-6 with more shielding)because they run long lengths from their equipment through your home and to your cable box. Mixing the the coax should not hurt anything.

If you are getting video noise I would check the cable terminations and make sure they are good and also make sure the F connectors on the ends aren't bent and are securely screwed on to their mating connectors. Getting all snow means there is no signal getting to the TV. This could be cable, connectors, or no signal into the house.

MT

dan scorpio

Stunt Coordinator
thanks mike but i am not getting all snow, you can see the picture but verry bad..... when i swithed from RG6 to RG59 no snow?... the thing is, right now i have it going from my sat to the tv... i still need to go from the sat to the vcr then to the tv..... i ran out of cable... i just have the RG6 stuff.... i hope this is the problem because i am going crazy...........

MikeTz

Stunt Coordinator
Dan:

It sounds like the RG-6 cable was faulty. That could be because it lost integrity between the cable and the termination, or the center conductor may have been damaged, or the terminations were not making proper contact with their mating connectors. Have you tried a known good RG-6 cable in place of the RG-59? I had trouble with a couple RG-6 cables my cable company installed because they were not terminated well (the result was weak signal and snow). I reterminated the cables and everything was fine.

There should be no issue using properly terminated RG-6 cable for your connections.

MT

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
well there's one more thing and that is that the center conductor of virtually all satellite cabling is copper over steel. If you were to examine the wire in the middle, assuming you've made a nice, clean cut, you'd find that the center of the wire is grayish looking, i.e. steel. With satellite frequencies, which run into the gigahertz region, the signal is concentrated on the outside of the cable due to a phenomenon called the skin-effect. No signal of any consequence is present in the middle. Once you get past the box, it's another matter. At that point you should be using a copper center conductor and it's irrelevent whether it's RG59 or RG6. The important thing is that it's copper.

dan scorpio

Stunt Coordinator
thanks guys....... i finally figured it out..
it was not the rg6 cable.. when I reconnected everything after i got my new entertainment unit I put the satellite box on the other side of the t.v,then from the satellite output it went to my vcr which is on the opposite side of the tv,I was getting interference from the t.v.....
so what I did was just put the satellite box on the same side as all the other components and problem solved...........

On another note does anyone know where i can get a cool holographic digital clock? or something e.g I seen onece a crystal ball with the digital clock in the middle

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks