What's new

reviews on the HITACHI 43FDX01B? (1 Viewer)

RaechelR

Auditioning
I am considering this (HITACHI 43FDX01B) tv as one of my options. Can anyone tell me first hand knowledge of the performance on this set?
I would be using cable tv through Tivos and a non progressive DVD player. Thanks
Also considering the HITACHI 53SDX01B
Either one will fit in my apartment. I am on the 2nd floor though. I really really care about clean crisp text and no pixilation in text.
------------------
Raechel Reiter TiVo user

DougP

Agent
I have a friend that owns one. VERY nice picture when watching DVDs with his "progressive scan" DVD (it's not true progressive - it's that Pioneer that does line doubling. He doesn't have cable - just DirectTV and DVD. He's quite happy with it.
I am considering it or the Panasonic TAU 36". I'm looking for feedback on anyone that can compare the two (searching in HTF but can't find any comparisons yet).
ANYONE out there have comments?!

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
If you can afford the 53SDX01B, it would be the one to go for. It has the magic focus self-convergence feature, which the FDX line lacks, as well as 6 element vs 5 element lenses.
Neither set will do a true anamorphic squeeze for dvd, and both "waste" some of the 1080 hd lines putting gray bars above and below the 16/9 High def image.
I have seen the 53SDX next to a Sony HS-10, both displaying an hd image off a hard drive at CC. In spite of the fact that the Sony squeezed all 1080 lines into the viewable image, vs 810 for the Hitachi, the Hitachi looked better to me.
Hitachi line doublers do a better job with cable and other regular ntsc sources than most others--less of the "soft" look of the Sonys and Toshibas, and fewer digital artifacts than Mits.
Hitachi is introducing a new line of 16/9 sets in 43, 53, and 61 inch sizes. If I were in the market for a new set, I'd wait and get a look at one of the new 16/9 models.
------------------
Steve S.
I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

Mike Hartman

Auditioning
I too am looking at 16:9 HDTVs, and today I noticed the Hitachi 43UWX10B at a very competetive price.
Steve:
Is this the new line you spoke about or is this last year's model? If not, what is the new line and when is it coming out?
One last thing, any reviews on the 43UWX10B would be much appreciated.. :)

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
The 43UWX10B is a 16/9 set, and is just now appearing in stores. I haven't seen one yet.
The 43FDX01B is a 4/3 set, as is the 53SDX01B.
Hitachi makes 2 lines of 4/3 hd-ready sets, the FDX which has 5 element lenses and no self-convergence feature, and the SDX which has 6 element lenses and Magic Focus self convergence. The SDX series is designated "Ultravision" but the FDX isn't.
They are now introducing 2 lines of 16/9 sets. The UWX10B series in 43, 53 (I think) and 61 inch screen sizes. These have 5 element lenses like the FDX models, but also have a self-convergence feature using 4 sensors, and are called Ultravision sets.
There is also an SWX10B series of 16/9 sets, which have 6 element lenses and a more sophisticated 8 sensor Magic Focus feature. I don't think these are out yet, and will come in the 53 and 61 inch sizes but not the 43 inch size. These are their top-line sets, and also are designated as Ultravision sets, just a little more Ultra, I guess.
You can get a lot more details on the Hitachi sets over at the Home Theater Spot.
I have an analog SBX series 4/3 Ultravision that I bought in October of 99. Based on my satisfaction with this set I will definitely give first consideration to an Hitachi when it comes time to upgrade to a 16/9 model.
In general, Hitachi sets are not as tweaker-friendly as Toshiba, Sony, or Mitsubishi, but do seem to be more capable of putting out a very good picture with an avia calibration and just the user controls. The quality of their crts and optics is top-notch, and they are well made and very reliable. My ntsc-only set has a very nice picture, with very good focus, geometry, convergence, and excellent color consistency from one side of the screen to the other. It's about the only rptv I've seen whose picture rivals and in some cases exceeds the quality found on a top-end direct view set.
Newer models are getting more ht-friendly with such features as user-menu-defeatable SVM.
------------------
Steve S.

Mike Hartman

Auditioning
Steve:
I just saw the 43UWX10B at Circuit City earlier today. Comparing that set to a $2400 34" 16:9 Toshiba, and a $3700 Sony 34" 16:9, I think my choice is made with a price tag of $2199 on the Hitachi..
I obviously have a lot to learn about things like SVM and black outs that I have seen reported with other Hitachi RPTVs, but I hope I am making the right decision..
Any suggestions for questions to ask myself or other people when making a purchase of this magnitude?
Thanks for the help BTW, it's very much appreciated..

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Mike,
On the new Hitachis the SVM can be turned off in the regular user menu.
The blackout thing should not be a concern on the newly released models either. This was an issue when using a progressive scan player feeding a 480p signal into last year's hd ready sets, the ones whose model number ended in 01B, preceded by SDX, FDX, or SWX. Hitachi worked out a fix which many owners of these sets have already had done under warranty, and the fix was included in later production sets of these models.
The new models should not suffer the blackout problem at all.
------------------
Steve S.

Andrea W

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Andrea Whitlock
RaechelR, I have a 43FDX01B and am happy with it. You will need to have a service tech come and converge it for you.
------------------
http://darius.mobius-soft.com/~andrea/ht/

JamesMills

Auditioning
Is there a way to do the servicing on this model without calling a service tech? My mother-in-law bought the Hitach

43FDX01B and the picture looks really bad to me when we go visit. They think it looks great but i can tell its a really bad picture. They had a service tech come out 2 times now and the picture hasn't changed, they said all he did was check to make sure they had the cables in right then left. Is there a manual or something that would guide me thru the process to see if I can help with the image quality on it for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks