What's new

Reviews of "Gojira" (1 Viewer)

Patrick H.

Second Unit
If it's to cover up reel-change markers, that's an unwise move. Lots of visible splices, though...that could be more understandable. But why not re-center the image, making it slightly letterboxed? That'd be a lot less obtrustive, indeed probably unnoticable depending upon overscan, than just blacking out the top of the frame.

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher

Not to be rude, but has this been confirmed by Classic Media. Until I hear some offical word from CM, I'm not getting my knickers all bunched up.

Plus as long as the Japanese version is 2.35:1 & w/english subs I'm all happy anyway. :D

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor

You may proceed to get your knickers all bunched up now (if you feel it's necessary...). ;^)

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher

Thanks Jim. :emoji_thumbsup: Atleast I know where the info is coming from now. It still isn't a deal breaker for me as the japanese version is what I'm after. :D

RickardL

Supporting Actor
The BFI region 2 release looks promising...
Anyone seen any screen caps from the new release vs the BFI? dvdbeaver?

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Just picked this up and the packaging is beautiful! Very nice.

Cant wait to wait this (and Blade Runner) tonight.

Patrick H.

Second Unit
I went ahead and picked this up the other day, since it was on sale at Borders. The packaging is terrific...no qualms there. The Japanese version is in rather rough shape, dark with lots of dirt and print damage, but it's well-presented for what it is. The cropping (if it is cropping) mentioned above wasn't even visible with the slight overscan on my set. The American version is also scratchy, although it is a little brighter. The commentaries are extremely informative and a lot of fun, and the menus are very classy. My only major complaint is that the restored end titles for the American version pixillate badly for a couple frames on my copy...has anyone else encountered this?

Otherwise, a decent set, if not exactly a knockout.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
For the Price a decent set, the extras are lacking I would think there would be more available. The Original could've been cleaned up a bit better. After seeing the original for the first time I was pretty blown away by the scope and mood of the film, it was definately more than a monster Movie in it's original form. Now that being said, when I want to sit down for some Monster Fun I'd still go with the Americanized Version, now don't kill me, King of the Monsters is a bit more fun, less Somber than the original, and the original's 98 minute runtime starts to drags in spots. Still an important film to see in its original form

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher

The reason for the lack of extras is because Ed Godziszewski, who is working on these sets couldn't get approval intime from TOHO on the extras to include them in the Gojira set. So instead of delaying the release, they opted to include the extras in later releases. Godzilla vs Mothra will include a biography & a tribute piece to Akira Ifukube.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
It's a shame that Criterion couldn't have gotten a hold of this, they would have certainly cleaned up the transfer at least a little more than Sony (or whomever) did.....don't get me wrong, I can live with it to have the opportunity to see Gojira in it's original form & for a transfer from a print it looks fair but they could have done some clean up to it.

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
I am extremely disappointed in this set. The packaging is first rate for such a inferior transfer. I am surprised that "Sony" had anything to do with releasing the film in that condition since they invented the technology to clean up specks and scratches.

I also noticed that the end credits on the American version were in widescreen while the movie in full screen. But also noted that my Simitar "theatrical version" is widescreen but seems a bit cropped especially with face close-ups where chins and such gets cut off. But over all, the Simitar version is in better shape. The Sony version seems to have damage at every scene change or fade-in which is very unusual. I would expect it more at reel changes but not as often as scene changes! Both are not correctly contrast balanced (note the Godzilla title card being too bright and washed out).

The only good thing about the Sony release is the official Japanese version but even it is in poor condition and the subtitles are very hard to read (font too thin and the yellow color hard on the eyes and bleeds on small screens)

Eric

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I agree about the color of the sub's, yellow has never been a favorite of mine for subtitles and IMO can be a bit distracting on a B&W film.

I like the extras & the commentary and aside from the filthy transfer I am pleased...well...maybe "pleased" is the wrong word....I can deal with the transfer just for the pleasure of having the original but I think a bit more effort could have gone into it.

Is it just me or does TOHO not have much concern for maintaining their classic films?

Patrick H.

Second Unit
Did either of you guys note the pixlillation problem I reported in the restored American credits sequence, or did I just end up with a bad copy? :frowning:

And, overall, yeah, I'd have to say I'm sorry Criterion didn't get their paws on this. I figured it was sort of a sure bet they might at some point, since Rialto handled the theatrical re-release.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I saw no pixilation on the end or beginning credits of "King Of The Monsters".

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Yea these films are really dirty. Compare this to what Criterion just did with Seven Samurai which is just magnificent.

But like Kevin said, its great just to have them. So I think we're being much more tolerant here -if it was anything other than a Godzilla movie we'd be tearing this DVD apart.

I watched the original version tues night and had a smile on my face the whole time.

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
Still, with several other previous releases, a product coming from the original release company, Sony being involved, marketing and packaging blitzs... I am surprised the films came with no cleaning or restoration especially being a cult Sci-Fi classic. Even budget companies have software to clean up the print better than what we got! What are the odds that now an "official" release is here that someone else would get it to fix the problems?

Eric

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Ok, how did these slip under my radar until last week? I saw it on the shelf at Costco and had it in hand and was on the way to the line before I knew what I was doing. Color me giddy!

And then Godzilla Raids again AND G v Mothra? How cool is that. With Ghidrah the 3 Headed Monster, Monster Zero, G's Revenge, Terror of Mechagodzilla, Frankenstein Conqurs the World and War of the Gargantuas all coming out in the months after - well, I just dropped a load, m'thinks!

Patrick H.

Second Unit
Just an update...traded in my copy for another, but the blip in the 'Godzilla' version's credits is still there. It happens at about 1:19:19 or just a hair before. The credits are so heavily damaged anyway, it doesn't really jump out...I only caught it because the breakup extends into the letterbox bars.

JayHM

Stunt Coordinator
According to dvdbeaver, this release is interlaced. Count me disappointed. Has anyone else tried to play it back on a progressive scan set and experienced combing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks