What's new

Review of "Married With Children Season One" Up at dvdreview.com (1 Viewer)

Rob T

Screenwriter
Damn.
I wish they would have used DVD-18s if they wanted to just do a 2 disc set. :frowning:

I can't get it right now. No money. I'll get it in the near future though... but I'm very disappointed in CTHE. :frowning:

Porfirio

Second Unit
Well folks, I watched a couple of the episodes and I have to agree with DVDReview.com. The PQ does look soft and washed out.:frowning: I would even go as far as saying it's VHS quality. Hell, "the Most Outrageous" discs look better, but then again, this is better than nothing.

Anyway, we'll just have to live with this release and demand that Columbia/Tri-Star give us a better presentation on future releases of MWC.

added picture

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
I've got it ordered and like the show enough to continue with my purchase. I'm just happy C-TS decided to go with season sets after all. We can hope for improved quality in the future.

For now, I'm supporting the show -- not the lack of care it was given.

Ric Bagoly

Senior HTF Member
I'll be buying this because quite simply...

AL BUNDY RULZ!!

That's really all there is to it...:D

Ric Bagoly

Senior HTF Member
BTW, I was lucky enough to attend a taping of the show during its FINAL SEASON, and, besides noticing that Christina Applegate is WAY HOTTER in person than she ever was on TV, I realized that this studio with the Immortal living room set, was home to these performers for eleven years, and I sure as shit wanna see EVERY ONE of those years preserved to DVD, so let's, as MWC fans, do this as a matter of Duty and Honor...:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Hmm, im on the undecided, ive gotten both best ofs, but if the picture quality isnt going to look as good as that of the best of dvds , i dont know.:frowning:

Chris Brunner

Second Unit
This is sad news indeed. I was on the fence about this set and leaning heavily towards "buy".

I'll never forget the first time I saw Al say "Any reason why you put the cactus where the alarm clock used to be Peg?" on that Sunday night back in 1986. I didn't miss an episode from then on.

But, when I read someone saying the words "VHS quality", my wallet seems to become a little more lodged in my pocket.

C

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
If they had just left the anniversary show for the last season all woud've been ok. The MASH season sets have 8pisodes a disk and they look good.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
So I just found this today at a retailer in my area who is breaking the street date. I cancelled my order at Amazon and I'm now watching the first episode and can see a few video problems (images aren't too sharp, the appearance of minor color bleeding from time to time, etc.) but nothing here that should convince a true "Married... with Children" fan not to buy it.

If you like the show and want to own it, just buy it. It is only strong sales of the DVD that will ultimately convince Columbia-TriStar to spend more money on better transfers in future seasons. Or to even produce future seasons at all.

Put yourself into one of these categories:

#1 DVD Purist and "Married... with Children" Fanatic
#2 "Married... with Children" Fanatic
#3 DVD Purist with Slight Interest in Show
#4 TV on DVD Fan with Slight Interest in Show

If you fall into #'s 2 and 4, I recommend this set to you. The cost is low enough (around $20 for quite a bit of entertainment) to justify the purchase. If you're a #1, you might as well jump. The only group that might be better off not making the purchase is group #3.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Well, I'm a big fan of the show as I've said, but on another note. Its amazing how different the show would become after the first season. I believe that Peg does things in season 1 that would ultimately be unPeggy like, for instance I believe she cooks in season 1. It will be good to hear "4 touchdowns in 1 game." when ever I want on DVD. Especially since no station around is cindicating the show.

Magnus T

Supporting Actor
Yup. And they also have food in their refrigerator. Even Ed O'Neills performance and tone of voice was a little different. Still, it was only the first season. :)

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
Don't forget that Peg and Al usually mend their ways by the end of the episode and -- gasp! -- actually show affection toward one another. It's cool to see what happened before the sharp decline of family values and togetherness that plagued them in future seasons. :D

john mcfadden

Stunt Coordinator
im still picking it up ...even though the sound and picture quality seems to suck .....go-ooooooooooo bundy !

Justin Bauer

Supporting Actor
This is really sad. I thought the video would at least be passable, but this is crazy. It is like watching an mpeg on your computer. The picture actually hurts my eyes, I am really disappointed.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Sad they did such a shitty job.

I looked for this today and couldnt find it.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
To add insult to injury, the original Embassy Television logo, which was on a compilation disc (!), is nowhere to be seen.

Chuck L

Screenwriter
Though I haven't picked this up yet (more than likely will this weekend) I never really seem to have the same quality issues with things the way that most of you do.

If I remember correctly, even in syndication, this show was not the beautifully of a shot show or of quality to begin with. Granted, I didn't pick up the best of's, but I am sure that they gave it the best shot they had. And no, I am happy about the fact they only used two disc instead of maybe three or a DVD-18, but I also don't expect a television product to look like "Lord of The Rings" either.

Just be happy that you are getting it. Too many items that I want to be on DVD are still caught in longing hell...so don't be too critical...just enjoy it.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
Good call, Chuck L. Remember, this was a low budget TV show shot on videotape in 1987 for a fledgling network called Fox. Definitely not Lord of the Rings quality.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Just had mine delivered, I will get to it tonight, I hope.

"A fat woman came in to the shoestore today..."
It is so good to have the Bundies on DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks