What's new

Return of the King trailer? (1 Viewer)

Kami

Screenwriter
I wish they'd tell us when so I don't have to constantly check lordoftherings.net and apple.com/trailers :angry: ;)

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I posted this in what seems to be the "main" LOTR thread, but it's worthy of a repeat mention for those following this one:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

NEW LINE CINEMA'S THEATRICAL TRAILER FOR
THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING
MAKES WORLDWIDE BOW FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 26

Los Angeles, CA, September 23, 2003 - New Line Cinema will debut the new trailer for The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King in theaters around the world on Friday, September 26.

In North America, the 2 min., 30 sec. trailer will play exclusively with New Line's Secondhand Lions, now in its second weekend of release. It will be in theaters throughout the weekend and will then debut online at www.lordoftherings.net on Monday, September 29.

On December 17, the Journey ends. Co-writer/director/producer Peter Jackson's adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkien's revered trilogy concludes with the worldwide release of The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King. With intimate, emotional stories set against an epic backdrop, The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King tells the dramatic final story of these men, their relationships and rivalries, and how through courage, commitment, and determination even the least of us can change the world.

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King stars (in alphabetical order) Sean Astin, Cate Blanchett, Orlando Bloom, Billy Boyd, Brad Dourif, Bernard Hill, Christopher Lee, Ian McKellen, Dominic Monaghan, Viggo Mortensen, John Noble, Miranda Otto, John Rhys-Davies, Andy Serkis, Liv Tyler, Karl Urban, Hugo Weaving, David Wenham, and Elijah Wood. The third film in the highly acclaimed trilogy is produced by Barrie M. Osborne, Fran Walsh and Jackson. The screenplay is by Fran Walsh & Philippa Boyens & Jackson based on the book by J.R.R. Tolkien.
# # #

According to ComingSoon.net, the teaser will debut on Secondhand Lions this Friday and will be available online to download on September 29th (Monday).

Kami

Screenwriter
Bummer.

I might have to go see Secondhand Lions now, I don't know if I can wait another 6 days!

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Trying to hook up the 2HL BO for the second weekend. Should be good for some coin. I'll see The Rundown, and *visit* the 2HL theater for it's trailers :)

Take care,
Chuck

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
They couldn't have put it with a better movie! Secondhand Lions is at the very top of my 'movies-in-theatres-now need-to-watch' list

I'm glad I held off watching Secondhand Lions last weekend!

Travis_S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis
Just saw a new commercial for Secondhand Lions during Gilmore Girls, at the very end they showed a little bit of footage promoting the trailer starting Friday. It went by too fast to see exactly what was happening, so I'm hoping I can record it the next time it comes on.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I work at a movie theater, I can just walk into the trailers for Secondhand Lions and then get to see it!

That is, if I'm working on Friday. If not, I'll see it this weekend for sure.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Secondhand Lions is really good and deserves another viewing anyway. But with the trailer premiering, icing on the cake. :emoji_thumbsup:

Aaron Garman

Second Unit
Be aware, I would call your local cinema to find out if the trailer is actually on the print when you go. It should be coming today or tomorrow, but that doesn't mean the theatre will put it on the print or even know how to do it. I know our theatre will (I'll do it myself!), but just be cautious of paying $7 to see a trailer that may not be there. And do stay for Second Hand Lions...it was EXCELLENT!

AJG

MikeRS

Screenwriter
Damn!

Forget Shelob....they're giving away Eowyn! That sucks. Hopefully it's edited smartly and not as obvious as it seems in that screenshot

MikeRS

Screenwriter
From the screenshot....

It seems like the trailer is giving away the "moment of truth". I don't think that's a wise choice because for those who never read the book, it would be much cooler if one didn't think in terms of Eowyn as the warrior princess right from the opening of the narrative. Let the story play out without knowing her destiny with any kind of finality.

And sure Dernhelm=Eowyn isn't a head-scratcher, but the method by which Tolkien told it was subtly done in my book. I would hope PJ plays it as ambiguous and with a light touch, just for the purpose of creating an electrifying moment when she does finally reveal herself to the Witch king.

Of course, it might be a very quick cut and juxtaposed to be ambiguous in that trailer, but the screen shot looks like the moment of truth.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks