1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Retooled "Dragnet" - does not sound promising

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by MatthewLouwrens, Aug 27, 2003.

1. MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens Well-Known Member

I know it wasn't a huge hit in its first season, but personally, I quite liked the new Dragnet series with Ed O'Neill. I'm several decades too young to have watched the original Dragnet shows, but I was familiar enough with the show and its format - the opening announcement ("The story you are about to see was inspired by actual events. The names have been changed to protect the innocent."), the theme, the voiceovers, I liked it. And I liked the fact that it felt completely different to every other cop show on TV - the retro element really helped the show. It may have modern crimes, but it had a nice old-time feel. And Ed O'Neill was great.

But the whole show is being retooled now. See this CNN article about the changes:

2. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Well-Known Member

The name doesn't matter, only the show writing, acting and premise. When Dragnet first went into syndication in the late 50s (the first show) it was called "Badge 714". So name changing is not unusual.

3. MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens Well-Known Member

4. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Well-Known Member

That sort of syndication name change wasn't uncommon; local stations often didn't like looking as though they were re-running another station's first-run stuff. (Remember "Happy Days Again"?)

This change sort of intrigues me. The best episodes of Dragnet last year were the ones about the chase, the tactical work of hunting someone down. Making Friday a general of sorts could strengthen that.

5. Randy Tennison

Randy Tennison Well-Known Member

Randy
    I'm taking a wait and see attitude. I really liked the series last year, and am glad they didn't totally dump it. I thought Ed O'Neill was fantastic. And honestly, I didn't care for Ethan Embrey. I much more enjoyed the black female detective (from OZ).

So, let's see how this goes. It could be good.

6. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Well-Known Member

I kind of liked it last year. These changes don't sound like ones for the better. I predict an early cancellation.

7. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Well-Known Member

Bonanza was called Ponderosa in syndication. Both Dragnet and Bonanza were still on network television when they went into syndication to local stations.