1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Rethinking The Importance Of Video Calibration

Discussion in 'Displays' started by RayJr, Jul 29, 2012.

1. RayJr

RayJr Well-Known Member

Ray
    Hello All,
    Thought you would find this interesting.
    http://hometheaterreview.com/rethinking-the-importance-of-video-calibration/
    Even professorial reviewers can be educated. :)
    RayJr

2. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    As someone who is both multiple kinds of color blind and also all about the "bang for the buck" I've chosen to use the THX mode that came with my latest TV and call it a day.
    I could probably improve upon that by a few percent if I really tried with a disk mode and a color capable friend but I have my doubts that it would really make all that big a difference to me.
    I've been very satisfied with my own calibrations in the past using DVD Essentials and other disks, but this time I didn't even have to do that.
    It's the future, guys. There will always be room for you guys who want to go nuts and computer calibrate down to the micrometer level but for the average person they will want either:
    -Eye burning high contrast like they saw at the store!!!!
    -A one button choice that gets the 98% of the way to a highly accurate picture
    I'm happy that there is now this solid middle ground for those of us who care about accuracy but not enough to spend hundreds of dollars on an in home visit. Again without even the frustration of doing it yourself.

3. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    hi guys
    Ray, thanks for posting the link. Great article!