1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

resident evil Apocalypse

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by michael deakin, Feb 2, 2008.

1. michael deakin

michael deakin Well-Known Member

Michael Charles Deakin
    Hi.
    I have just purchased the "resident evil" box set. And was wondering why the blu-ray trailer for "apocalypse" which i had seen on another disc is 100% better in picture quality than the disc itself. I have already got the standard version of the movie and their is no difference between the two. If i had known the trailer was a false advertisment for the disc i would have saved my money.
    Shame on "sony".
    Michael.

2. troy evans

troy evans Well-Known Member

Micheal, I'm sorry to hear BD "RE:A" isn't living up to your expectations. I feel there is an improvement over the sd version, though. How much of an improvement can be debated. For me, I see a difference in the colors and clarity of some scenes. It seems to jump at me, image wise and the sound, oh my is that ever sweet on this title. Remember, PQ is only part of what makes HD great.

3. michael deakin

michael deakin Well-Known Member

Michael Charles Deakin
    Hi Troy.
    Could you tell me if you have seen the blu-ray trailer for the film. If so you must have noticed the vibrant colors on most of the scenes including the church scene, compaired with the dull and pale look of the standard version has well as my blu-ray disc itself. Either im going color blind or i have a faulty disc.
    Regards
    Michael.

4. Grant H

Grant H Well-Known Member

Color timing in trailers is often completely different from the films, so it's not a good judge for the video quality fo the film. Look at Blade: Very vibrant colors in the trailers, which completely lack the inentional green cast they added to the film in post production.

I do think REA suffers from the less-than-stellar masters Sony films of that period had, however. Seems a little blue and muddy, even for the style of the film, but I could be wrong. I was disappointed we didn't get a fresh master and new encode for the box set.

5. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie
    Supporter

Stephen J. Hill
    Colour timing is not the only thing that differs in trailers. I remember running the initial trailers for Sky Captain, which were sharper than the finished film and the colour timing was different. This was a textbook example of a film where we would get complaints about the film being out of focus because the look was so soft.

6. troy evans

Well, it's my understanding that a movie trailer isn't made from the finished film. It's made from several prints/scenes shot for the film. Have you ever noticed sometimes in trailers there are scenes that are not in the film? Three that come to mind are "Reindeer Games", "The Saint" and "Highlander: Endgame". So, when watching a trailer sometimes your looking at an unfinished product compared to the actual filmed master. This is one example as to why a trailer can not be used in any way as an absolute basis for what a film will be. It's not surprising that colors and other various elements may be incorrect as to what the finished film ends up looking like as well. The finished film is what I've always believed was the director's intent, not the trailer. We've all seen a lot of crappy looking trailers that don't represent how good the finished film looks as well, don't forget that.

7. troy evans

Duplicate post deleted

8. troy evans

Duplicate post deleted