What's new

Resident Evil Apocalypse reviews? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
I am really looking forward to this one. I know I might be the minority but I really enjoyed the first one. Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone has seen this yet and what they thought of it.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
FWIW Ebert gave it .5 stars. I was kind of interested but now I'll probably wait.

Kristian

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kristian

:D

I hated the first one, even though a lot of people considered it a guilty pleasure. I'm going to avoid this sequel and stick with the games.

Brian D H

Second Unit
Then how about just going to see "Shaun of the Dead" when it comes out on 9/24? At least it's trying to be funny.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Just got back from seeing this.

It's not a great movie, but it's also not as bad as Ebert made it out to be (and I usually agree with him). The film suffers from two things: it's as shallow as a kiddie pool and lacks the ultra-violence associated with zombie flicks. On the plus side, I like that the zombies aren't the only antagonists: there are also killer dogs, monstrous "bio-weapons" with prehensile tongues, and a lumbering juggernaut of a mutant that serves as a one-Frankenstein army. And of course, the omniscient and evil Umbrella Corporation is behind it all. Who better to hate than slimey corporate villains?

Alice, the returning heroine from Resident Evil, is back, mutated by the T-virus into a superhuman ass-kicking machine. She's joined by a tough female cop, a wise-cracking civilian, and a little girl who, though we haven't seen her before, will seem familiar. They're all trapped when the Umbrella Corporation cordons off Raccoon City in an attempt to contain the T-virus. In order to escape, they have to battle their way through hordes of the undead as well as other predatory manifestations of the dreaded virus. Meanwhile the Umbrella Corporation is enacting its ultimate solution...

There's so much going on here that I think the film would have benefitted from a longer running time. There are too many elements compressed into too short a time frame (though the film is open-ended, paving the way for another sequel).

I'm one of those who consider the first film a guilty pleasure, and Resident Evil: Apocalypse, while broadening the scope of the original, doesn't quite match up. It's fun and generally well-done, but it's all a bit bland.

:star: :star: 1/2 out of :star: :star: :star: :star:

Marvin Richardson

Supporting Actor
OK...I love the games dearly and liked the first movie quite a bit...but please explain to me how the games are any better than the movies? Every thing I've heard about the movie was in the games, although certain things may be happening in a different order or to different characters.

Travis W.

Second Unit

Entire plot lines and characters are being neglected and having to take the backseat to a bland heroine like Alice. The movies are drastically different than the games.

I am a huge fan of the video game series. The first film has never truly been worthy of the series in my opinion but it works on some levels. So when I heard that at least a few characters from the games were going to be included in the plot for the sequel I was excited. But what a disaster it turned out to be...

As a video game adaptation it fails miserably, as an action film it succeeds to some extent. But what could have been, that's all I kept thinking. They filmmed this in the summer of 2003, plenty of time to fix things but I guess not. Anderson must have banged this script out in record time. I don't want to list the problems with this film because it would take up too much space (and I don't want to classified as an AICN talk-backer for going into such exhaustive detail) but the bottom line is that it is a very average film and a terrible sequel. However newcomer Siena Guillory steals the show as Jill Valentine.

:star: :star: out of :star: :star: :star: :star:

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
I liked this movie. I'll write my review later tonight. I used my free ticket to this movie (that came in the RESIDENT EVIL Deluxe Edition DVD). Did anyone catch the little gag during the end credits?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Perhaps the film relies on familiarity of the video games, but I don't play this game, and thus, the film suffers from woeful inadequate character introduction and development for me. But if you get the first 40 minutes out of the way, it's high on mindless action and it's a loud, loud movie (HT bassheads will enjoy the soundtrack when the film hits DVD).

I give it 2 stars or a grade of C.

Chris Duran

Stunt Coordinator
There were so many things wrong with this movie I don't even know where to begin. Yes I liked the first one, and yes I'm a fan of the games. Let's start with the good things: The setting in this movie looked alot like Raccoon City in the 2nd game, which I give them props for, the outfits were nice and looks like they paid alot of attention to detail from the games, it was nice to see characters from the games (Jill, STARS, Nemesis) that's all for the good things.
The rest of the movie was horrible, first we are treated to 10 minutes of a rehashing of the first movie, which I guess is good for people who have never seen it but a bore for people who have. The characters are not at all developed and some of the scenes are really stupid.
Alice fighting the Nemesis in hand to hand combat? Jill just walking into a Police station shooting people barking orders? The guy in the wheel chair being able to see the whole city through cameras and call pay phones.

The rest of the movie is nothing but action filmed with a shaky camera, with the story taking a back seat. Alot of things needed to be better explained pertaining to Alice
Like at the end, all of a sudden she has powers to just make people bleed from their eyes?

Also did anyone else see the part that they totally ripped from the Resident Evil Code Veronica game? It was cool to see, but the game did it so much better. Overall I was very disappointed, and glad that I saw it for free courtesy of the DVD ticket, otherwise I would have been very upset. Paul W.S. Anderson should never work in Hollywood again.

:star: out of :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

Travis W.

Second Unit
Hey Chris, I thought the exact same. Here is one major plothole I noticed.

The T-Virus decimates Raccoon City in 13 hours YET the Raccoon Dispatch had the time to publish a story about the dead walking even when the outbreak happened in daytime hours (not to mention you see a newspaper being issued in the first 5 minutes of the film)

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug Miller
Let me preface: I didn't see the first one in the theaters. I bought my first Playstation because of how great I heard this game was, and the movie just didn't look like it was going to fit the game mold. Seeing the previews for Apocalypse, I thought it looked pretty interesting, so I bought the first one the other day to get the movie cash. Overall, thought the first one had it's moments, so was looking forward to the second. OK, that said....

I don't use such strong descriptions for movies often, but this movie was a steaming pile of $#!T. To me, it was that bad. Starting with the story, which was completely laughable -- the characters overall, were horrible -- the scenarios don't even get me started about Alice driving the motorcycle through the church window (why was she even there, and what made her want to do that?
were ridiculous -- the makeup and special effects, and let's be honest, the original was obviously on a budget, didn't even come close. Nemesis looked like an absolute joke, a big dude wearing an entirely too stiff rubber suit and carrying rocket launchers.... yeah, this movie was really, really bad.

The thing that really surprised me was that the first one was mildly intelligent, had an interesting story with a little mystery going on. Everything that I liked about the first one was missing in this one.

This was a truly awful movie. Even in terms of zombie movies, this was an awful movie. Yes, it wasn't even a good zombie movie, go back to what I said about the special effects -- the director seemed to think if he blurred the zombies movements that it would make them seem scarrier... and save a load of money on makeup.

Man, this movie was really bad. Coming from a guy who absolutely loved the first 2 games, liked the first movie pretty well, and absolutely loves zombie movies.

Doug

Travis W.

Second Unit
This sequel made me appreciate Paul Anderson more than ever before. I think if he were behind the camera for this one it would have turned out better.

Laurence Price

Stunt Coordinator
I saw Resident Evil: Apocalypse today. The movie was OK but, not great or that memorable. I didn't expect going in to see this film that I would experience a classic of the genre so I wasn't let down that much when the credits rolled after the movie concluded. It helped that I lowered my expectations beforehand. Overall I came away with a mixed reaction tilting slightly towards negative.

What made me laugh was how obvious it was that this movie was shot in Toronto which is the city I reside in. It didn't ruin the movie for me but, in a way I found it kind of weird because I ended up pointing out all of the places I have visited in the past to myself while watching so it was a little distracting.

The Toronto Skyline was visible throughout and nobody even bothered or considered to remove the CN Tower, Bank of Montreal building, Sheridan hotel, or anything. It was funny that the filmmakers did not want to try and hide this one bit through computer enhancements or cinematography tricks or editing throughout the whole movie. There was not that much of a clear distinction or difference at times during the duration of the movie between the look of Raccoon city and the real city of Toronto. When Milla Jovovich's character ran down the side of that tall and oddly designed building attached to a thick cord I found this amusing because Toronto city hall was used in the stunt.

I wonder why the producers of this film decided not to go to any great lengths to remove some of these landmarks. Maybe they were just lazy or it could have been deliberate I don't know but, since I live in the city it took me out of the movie.

SteveCallas

Second Unit
Man, what the hell happened to this movie? The first one was great and had an ending that made you look forward to the sequel, but this one just made absolutely no sense. None of the plot made ANY sense at all. I don't understand how someone could have accepted this script.

The only good thing to come of this movie will be the surround sound track when it's on dvd. For the very first time in my theater, I actually noticed discrete surround and discrete rear effects in addition to a large helping of bass. I definitely won't pick this one up new, but getting it 3 for $20 at Hollywood sounds ok.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
This movie was a special kind of horrible that best can be described as a mixure of DOA cliches and ham-fisted borrowing from other films.

The Umbrella Corporation, yea, they're just the coportation from Aliens and when they rescue the litter girl, I practically exspected her to say, "They come out mostly at night, mostly."...oh, and Alice is just a retread of Ripley from Alien 2 and Alien 4, they even put her in a tube just like the ones from Alien: Ressurection when the movie kept going.

This film is like the T-Virus: it was dead but kept moving like a zombie, clunkily and horribly.

Oh, and when a Nuclear power plant has a melt down, it does not act like a atom bomb, yes it explodes, but it is the radation that will kill people...the people writing this film have zero creativity and didn't even bother to with three minutes of research on what happens during a nuclear plant accident. I'm surprized they even metioned Chernobyl, they obviously didn't actually know what happened at Chernobyl.

Doing a two second check:
"The Chernobyl accident killed more than 30 people immediately, and as a result of the high radiation levels in the surrounding 20-mile radius, 135,00 people had to be evacuated."

Doesn't quite match the excuse in the film finale, eh?

Apparently the people who wrote this film don't even know how to use Google.

That is merely one example of the ever-present laziness that skanks up this whole film.

Someone earlier called this film a stinking pile of feces, that is being too kind.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks