What's new

Reservoir Dogs 15th Anniversary Edition from Lionsgate on 10/24 (1 Viewer)

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Ugh, still debating whether or not to open the copy I bought today and ditch the previous release.

Lee-c

Supporting Actor
Wow, that is a huge improvement! Black levels are definitely much better. Looks like color saturation and color accuracy is better, too. :)

David Dias

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you for the screenshots Matthew, it was very cool of you. I am now so glad I caved and bought this new edition!

Ryan L. Bisasky

Second Unit
I've got a question about the framing of the slow mo wall shot. (the first capture). On the original dvd, the framing is like this
and on the 10th and 15th aniversery dvds, the framing is like this

was the original dvd miss framed?

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Looks to me like the original DVD was zoomed. Framing looks ten times better in the 10th and 15th anniversary editions.

Magnus T

Supporting Actor
Thanks, Ryan. One question, though. The black bar on the bottom seems to have equal contrast as the top one, i.e. true blacks. On my TV the 10th Anni. version is grey, it's not even remotely black. Are the greengrabs done without any enhancements?

Edit - Thanks, Matthew. :)

Matthew Marino

Stunt Coordinator
Magnus, I did no enhancing of any kind. The bottom bar in all the pictures is from the old release while the top is from the new release.

Magnus T

Supporting Actor
Sorry, Matthew. My bad. I popped Reservoir Dogs 10th... in my DVD player and you're right. The black bars are black. It's the movie it's self that is grey when it should be black.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
I broke down and opened my copy last night. Wow, am I glad I did! I thought it looked quite good. While some of the long shots in the warehouse lacked some detail, I thought the medium shots looked good and the close ups looked excellent! I'm not 100% certain, but it seems as though the audio was better as well. The tune that plays in the background when they're walking in front of the brick wall in the beginning sounded particularly good. The drums sounded very crisp, tactile and cavernous! I also noticed smaller details like the humming in the background of the warehouse scenes. I'm sure it was there before but this time it sounded more pronounced. Several times, I muted my proecssor to determine if there was something outside making the noise or if it was in the movie. All in all, I think this time, we've got a winner!

Oh, BTW, that Harry Knowles guy is complete jerk!!! I mean, was there a need to curse gratuitously in the extras? I mean, come on. What a slob.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member

He pretty much represents all that sucks about Hollywood and the filmmaking process these days. He's a complete tool.

Roy Batty

Second Unit
Real Name
Jose M Mendez

There's not such a thing as cursing gratuitously, but yes, I concur, he is a complete jerk. Not for the cursing (I couldn't care less), but because he can not articulate a single sentence with any meaning. He could have just said "awesome, dude!" and be done with it.

David Dias

Stunt Coordinator
From the review:

"...this edition does indeed look noticeably better than the previous version: from the very first scene, contrast is sharper, focus more clear, and colors resonate more deeply. Additionally, the audio options have also been improved, producing deeper and more resonant sound..."

Then at the end he writes:

"...one would be hard-pressed to find a really good reason given the new bonus materials to plunk down $15-20 bucks to buy this DVD."

Excuse me, but I guess picture and sound quality is completely secondary huh? He praises the video and audio and then basically says you should keep the crappy 10th anniversary edition. Apparently he's unaware of the missing dialogue from the 10th anniv. since he never mentioned it in his review.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
"Additionally, the audio options have also been improved, producing deeper and more resonant sound..."

Sweet, I made the same observation! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks