What's new

Reservoir Dogs 15th Anniversary Edition from Lionsgate on 10/24 (1 Viewer)

obscurelabel

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Larry

It was filmed in Super 35, so there's lots of information in the frame that wasn't transferred to anamorphic 2.35:1 theatrical prints (and lots of room for framing errors when going back to the negative or interpositives for video masters).

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Yes, but David's comment was a direct response to Bill's assertion that the framing discrepancies might be due to misprojection at a commercial theater. As David explained, a scope print, unlike a flat one, contains no visual information that isn't meant to be projected onto the screen. Even if it was shot Super35, which does involve capturing extraneous visual information, the release prints would be anamorphic.

If there was an error in framing the anamorphic release print from the orginal Super35 master, then it would have to have occured at the studio level, long before the local theater received the print. That means it's not really a projection problem.

RyanAn

Screenwriter
...and you know I'm going to have to buy it!

It's not that important, but I wonder if they'll do the individual covers.

Why does a guy like Tarantino so rarely do commentaries when all he does his talk about movies? I want to hear him talk about the movies I love! :)

ry

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
We just saw POTC in SF and it looked like the top of the frame was off. People's heads were cut off here and there...

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
The framing I'm not bothered about. The washed-out look of the transfer is what bugs me the most about the R1 10th anniversary edition. The original anamorphic R2 edition got the balance just perfect, with more vibrant colour and a wider contrast range that still retains the crushed shadow detail inherent to a movie shot on such slow stock. But the Artisan 10th anni edition reduced the contrast to such a degree that the already-fragile black level got ruined. I've got both editions, and I can't see myself going for another version anytime soon. I'd have bought the cancelled DVHS edition in a heartbeat though.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member

An anamorphic print can certainly be misframed a bit top and bottom, but to see MORE image at both top and bottom on the 35mm print vs. the original laserdisc/DVD letterboxed transfer definitely indicates the transfer was at fault.

I'm not certain the actual HD transfer of RESERVOIR DOGS is at fault- I think something went wacky with the black levels when they did the standard-def downconversion. If they do a better downconversion with correct black levels, and offer the original theatrical sound mix as a viewing option, I'd be willing to pick this up.

Vincent

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member

Not exactly, Lionsgate is jumping the gun a little bit because the 15th Anniversary is actually 2007, whereas Artisan kept delaying their 10th Anniversary Disc so it came out late in '02.

It'll actually be closer to four years.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member

OK, but still...it's a quality control issue then. No one viewed it before it went to pressing?

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Are all the features carried over from the previous 2-disc ann. set?

Also, what's the verdict on the transfer... any news how that's being handeled?

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
.....This seems to be the only info as of yet but it does say "newly remastered"....now exactly what that truly means is anyone's guess, if they just fix the horrible black levels from the last HD Transfer & fix the 5.1 remix or include the original 2.0 track (as has been mentioned by many many many others) I would think about buying it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks