What's new

RESCUE ME (ongoing discussion) (1 Viewer)

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
The cheif on the toilet was freaking great.... Good lord smells like something died in here...rofl.................

I also thought the calander signing was very funny...noticed how he was the only one to have guys in his line.......too funnnnnny...

I also like the fight between tommy and the priest... When his uncle said "You will burn in hell for this" talk about perfect timing and funny as hell

R~

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Right! I meant to include that one. Paraphrasing from memory:

Tommy (upon realizing that the priest is having an affair with a woman): "What do you think your parishioners would say?"

The Priest: "They'd probably be thrilled it's not with an 11-year-old boy."
This show truly is no-holds-barred.

Fascinating that, in the moral universe of the show, the priest sees Tommy's transgression as much worse than his own.

M.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

The basic transgression is the same in both cases - fornication. But to that Tommy adds the violation of the firefighter's ban on widows. So within their shared culture it is worse in some ways.

Contrary to popular belief vows of celibacy are not vows of chastity. In the strict meaning enshrined in canon law "celibacy" means to remain unmarried, not to refrain from sex. A vow of chastity is a vow to refrain from sex. Most parish priests take the former, only monks and members of certain other religious orders take the latter. (Similarly most parish priests do not take vows of poverty. My uncle is a priest. He drives a Lexus and has a part interest in a time share in the Smokey Mountains that was given to him by a parishioner.)

All Catholics are enjoined to refrain from sex outside of marriage. To have sex outside of marriage is to commit the venial (relatively minor) sin of fornication. This is as true for a layman as for a priest. It is not worse for a priest and does not constitute a violation of his priestly vows. (We're talking adult, heterosexual priestly sex here. Pedophilia and homosexuality are different matters entirely in the eyes of the Church, and in the eyes of the law in the former case.)

So it isn't just "the moral universe of the show" that makes the two things similar, and in some ways makes Tommy's actions worse. (At least within the tight Irish-Catholic community where so many of the men are cops and firefighters and have been for generations, and where the traditions of the two jobs are held almost as sacred as the sacraments of the Church.)

Regards,

Joe

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben

Exactly my point. The brilliance of the scene, I thought, was how it demonstrated that the line Tommy is crossing is not just a matter of firehouse ethics, but is part of a value system that permeates the entire community. His fellow firefighters question him, but it's his priest who really goes after him. I don't know whether the writing on this show will win awards, but it should. It's some of the most nuanced work on TV.

M.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Great line from Tommy to the firefighter chick[what's her name?]She was speachless for a change.:D
This show is so refresshing!.........and the networks wonder where are their audiances at, especialy male.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I was hoping Tommy would let loose a maniacal laughter after finding out the dog died, but I think he really started to like the dog.

Laura is the female firefighter. I like the way she puts out the harrassment fires. Applying Super-glue to the toilet seat was hilarious.

hanson mat

Stunt Coordinator
Talking about firefighters, I just read a great review of Ladder 49:

With Phoenix, Travolta, 'Ladder 49' Finds Camaraderie in Combustion
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2004Sep30.html

Here is the line that really got be about the movie: “But the tears, when they come, are cathartic, not cheap. "Ladder 49" offers audiences a real rarity in theaters these days: a good, honest cry.”
– Washington Post, Oct. 1, 2004

A Guy's Flick that Smolders

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

OK, I misunderstood. I thought your main point was that in the universe of the show an objectively worse offense (the priest's breaking of his "vow of celibacy") was minimized in comparison to Tommy's - this being the take I've heard from others who assume "celibacy = chastity".

Was there something odd about FX's scheduling Wednesday night? My TiVO started recording earlier in the closing credits of the preceding show than it usually does and cut off before the end of the episode. (I'm set up to record the next airing so I can see the last few minutes.) I've been recording the 11 PM rebroadcasts since I also grab CSI: New York. Never had that happen before on an episode.

The Washington Post may have liked Ladder 49, but The New York Post sure didn't. Different strokes for different folks, I suppose - but the feeling I got based on the commercials makes me think the NY paper has a more accurate take on this flick. I kept expecting the critic to metion Rescue Me as a more entertaining and honest take on the same subject. BTW, am I the only one who thinks the Ladder 49 ads look an awful lot like RM promos, down to a similar font?

Regards,

Joe

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
FX has been starting their shows a minute or two later than the normal starting time. I've noticed this on both "Rescue Me" and "Nip/Tuck" for the past few weeks now. I never get the previews for the next episode because of the slightly later starting times now.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Not sure if this is common knowledge or not, but the priest is apparently related to Tommy. Probably his brother (or maybe his uncle). His character name on IMDB is listed as Father Mickey Gavin. I guess that makes fighting with a priest a little less heinous.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Yeah, Father Mickey Gavin being another of Tommy's cousins was established in the first episode or two. Which added a layer of blasphemy, but also of humor, to the fist-fight. I'm guessing this isn't the first two these two have thrown punches over the years. :)

Regards,

Joe

Gregg Shiu

Second Unit
Real Name
Gregg Shiu
Very funny and quotable episode this week, can't believe the season's almost over! FX has some money shows on their hands. Best line of the night: "You look like the Marlboro man... you know, if the Marlboro man smoked cock instead of cigarettes."

StephenA

Screenwriter
I liked the episode as well. Tommy's problems with his uncle are funny. Too bad Asshole had to die, because you could tell he was getting attached to the dog. The bathroom scene with the chief was funny.

The scenes I thought was funny from a couple episodes ago was the ones at Tommy's uncles's house with the monkey tearing up the bathroom. The funniest to me was when Tommy's dad got some drugs and gave them to it and went in to check on it because it went quiet, only to find it dead in the corner of the tub.

This show is definitely ending the season or whatever way too soon. Hopefully they'll make more than 13 with the next run.

Duane R

Second Unit
10/6:
Well the penultimate episode brought up some interesting questions about the money Tommy's wife is stashing away, as well as how much longer Tommy can self-destruct. I loved the comment about making Chili with the shotgun. It also looks like things will come to a head next week with the Tommy/Sheila affair as the first season wraps up.

Nathan_F

Second Unit
Real Name
Nathan
Any speculation on the money? Very nice episode. My favorite was the "touching" scenes at the end.. Franco choosing his daughter, the chief finally getting the reason for his wife's recent behavior.. with the comic relief of Arlo stroking Uncle Teddy's hand in the middle! :D

Scrubs and Rescue Me are the only shows I don't want to ever miss.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben

I think she's doing what a lot of divorcing spouses have been known to do, if he or she doesn't have a steady income. They start stashing money in preparation for the day when the other half says, "You want money? Fight me in court." I can easily see Tommy Gavin reaching that point.

M.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Good episode, Gary can't win for losing. Franco's kid is very adorable, the short scene with her and the Pittsburgh fireguy was cute. Tommy has a death wish (jumping to make the grab). What was up with Uncle Teddy and the little guy? That was strange. Uncle Teddy's "I got your low carb diet RIGHT HERE" apron was hilarious. Probie has to figure out his exit strategy if he can't handle the compounded problem of dealing with the bulimia and the teasing. Jerry's got his hands full with his wife stricken with Alzheimer's (alluded to when she didn't remember cleaning up his area in the living room). Janet is probably stockpiling the money, but it's so shady.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
"Sanctuary"

The FDNY and NYPD hockey game was a little too scripted. Sean has the worse luck with women. She really was a scary kisser.

Arlo confesses his love for Teddy, who then reciprocates by tossing the dwarf out.

Tommy's life is turned upside down. Mickey spills the beans, the house gives Tommy a beatdown. Tommy goes into his deadman daze, and Franco pays the price. Janet packs up the kids and leaves. Tommy can't leave Jimmy's widow Sheila because she's expecting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks