1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Requiem For a Dream Differences

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Horatio Jones, Feb 24, 2002.

1. Horatio Jones

Horatio Jones Well-Known Member

Can someone tell me the difference between the edited version and the directors cut version?
    Thanks

2. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Well-Known Member

The edited version

mainly removes eight shots of the sex toy during the finale.

Also, the edited version has no extras other than trailers and television spots while the original theatrical cut (director's cut) version is a special edition with tons of great extras.

3. Horatio Jones

well im ade the mistake of getting the edited version, should I take it back? am I really missing that much. not talking extras just the movie footage itself.

4. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Well-Known Member

It's up to you.

5. Will K

Will K Well-Known Member

6. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Well-Known Member

As Matthew already stated, the only changes of any difference are in the sex scene near the end. You can read even more here:
    http://us.imdb.com/AlternateVersions?0180093
    If you liked the film and want to keep it, I can't imagine wanting the compromised version with less extras.

7. AdrianJ

AdrianJ Well-Known Member

I'd take it back also. Since the director want the movie released unrated to theaters, I'd say that the R-rated DVD is a misconceived product. I'd go for the unrated version.

8. Horatio Jones

thanks gentleman, now i will have to try and track down the director's cut...

9. Travis D

Travis D Well-Known Member

Tracking down the Unrated Version should be NO hard task. I'd say either goto www.deepdiscountdvd.com and pick it up for 9 bucks or buy the Pi and Requiem 2-pack for 14 dollars.

10. Oswald Pascual

Oswald Pascual Well-Known Member

I was finally coming around to pick this up from suggestions, when I realize it comes in two versions. Rated R and U-Rated(Directors Cut). Now it has been my expierience that directors cut are not always the better movie. I have never seen it at all, so I am asking for fans of the movie to give me your opinion which two versions do you think is the better movie. I want to pick it up this weekend, Thanks!

11. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Well-Known Member

The Rated R version was edited so that Blockbuster and Wal mart would carry it. The R Rated version is also bare bones, where the unrated directors cut is a quite nice special edition.

Go with the directors cut all the way. Honestly, I am not sure what was cut in the R rated aside from the scene near the end, but i believe it was pretty extensive.

12. MichaelPR

MichaelPR Well-Known Member

DIRECTORS CUT....director would not allow special features on R version...it was basically made just for blockbuster...i believe the only difference is in a sex scene for like 3 seconds....

13. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Well-Known Member

Also, the unrated version is the version that was released in theaters IIRC.

14. Mark Bendiksen

Mark Bendiksen Well-Known Member

15. Jon B NY

Jon B NY Well-Known Member

Aranofsky has a very good foregrounding style. This movies editing alone is brilliant. I literally do not like this film, yet I enjoy eatching it just because of how it was filmed and edited. Brilliant. The social message is important, but too heavt at times.

16. Dean Kousoulas

Dean Kousoulas Well-Known Member

Of course get the unedited version. Although really only a couple seconds were taken out, the unedited version has all the special features, and I don't even think there is a price difference.

17. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Well-Known Member

18. Will*B

Will*B Well-Known Member

Will*B
    I'm not sure about the R-rated version, but the Director's Cut DVD has some of the best menus I've ever seen!

19. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Well-Known Member

Jeff Adkins
    If I remember correctly, someone reported that the opening titles of the edited version actually say "Requiem For A Dream Edited Version".

Aronofsky was so disgusted by having to cut the film that he made damned sure that anyone shopping at Blockbuster or Wal-Mart knew that they were getting an inferior release. I can't think of any other instance of a director putting "Edited Version" in the opening titles.

Jeff

20. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?

Tony D.
    i rented this the other day.
    got it at BBV
    oddly enough i noticed last week that it was the unrated version thats why i picked it up.
    this may have been there for awhile as i havent even thought to look at it because of thinking it probably was the edited version.
    the menu is nutty.
    wasnt sure what was going on at first.
    what friggen nightmare of a story.