What's new

Report: Best Buy Sells Most Blu-ray, HD DVD Titles (1 Viewer)

LarryH

Supporting Actor
Being fortunate enough to have gotten in on the Amazon 10%, I almost always order from them. Since I never get around to watching discs until; the weekend, instant gratification is not a factor. I did buy the new Fantastic Four from CC when Amazon delayed shipment so much. I also justified that to myself by the extra disc exclusive CC had.

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
I am also surprised at this, especially for Canadians. It is easily the most expensive place to buy any kind of media and I have always wondered how they even stay in business.

On the other hand, Future Shop's web site is for me - unarguably - the worst of any major dvd retailer..so it's almost always been Walmart or Futureshop stores for me! Amazon.ca for online.

But hey...it does seem increasingly clear that consumers are buying into HD/BD in one way or the other, so thats a good thing...Soon, we'll be picking scraps through the discount bins wishing there was another new format that not everyone could say they maxed out credit cards with.

Rolando

Screenwriter
it's a question of playing the waiting game. I admit, amazon has decent prices but if you catch sales it's cheaper for canadians to walk to local retailer than pay to have it shipped.

like now, best buy canada is having a 15% off sale all week-end. online only but you can choose in-store pick up and voila! no shipping and similar pricing. I just got the 2 pirates movies for $25 something and the 2 Bourne movies for $22 something and I mean in Canadian dollars! I pick it up in store and that's it. no shipping fees to Canada, no US conversion, no risk of duties and I can go pick it up tomorrow morning!

now if I was impatient and needed to order new releases right away and I had the 10% off there would be no discussion. again I mention that this is because I am in Canada. if I lived in the US amazon all the way.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
My BB usually sells HD DVD over list price, so it's pretty seldom that I buy anything there. If this report is correct, they must be having themselves quite a laugh.

justinslot

Agent
Real Name
Justin Slotman
Remember Pauline Kael's comment about being astonished when Nixon was elected president, because she didn't know anybody who voted for him? That's kind of how I feel about this. People buy high-def discs at Best Buy???

Judging by this thread I think if you polled HTF forum members you'd get a roughly opposite bias in favor of Amazon (including me, all my domestic HD/BR purchases have been on Amazon; I also have the high-def discount and Prime.) It seems like Internet shopping is still pretty novel for a lot of people.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

With news like that its no wonder that so many people complain that High Def prices are too high.

I shop at Fry's Electronics or Amazon. I don't remember which title it was at the moment but I saw it at Best Buy for $29.95, and bought it at Fry's for $19.95.

Doug

John H Ross

Screenwriter

You can do exactly the same thing with Amazon. If you have a defective/scratched disc in a set simply fill out the necessary forms on the site and print out the returns label. Then wait for the replacement set to arrive, swap the disc(s) in question, and return the unwanted set to Amazon. As long as you do it within 28 days it's fine!

It's even better here in the UK because Amazon.com (USA) NEVER wants the defective set back due to prohibatively expensive international shipping costs!! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks