What's new

Report: Best Buy Sells Most Blu-ray, HD DVD Titles (1 Viewer)

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Per High-Def Digest:
What does that tell you about Best Buy HD Media customers?
More people than Amazon.com customers? What am I missing?:confused:
IMHO, the majority of people are then Not going to save money. Of course, if they're that rich to burn money, more power to them.

Paul

Rolando

Screenwriter
well I don't know what BB prices are like in the US but all my HD titles come from local BB and Futureshop for me. Sure I only have about 22 HD DVDs and 5 BDs but most were bought under some kind of sale. Christmas bought about 9 disc during a buy 3 for the price of two sale. summer had a $19.99 sale on some BDs and HD DVDs (once Sony/tristar and another time warner titles).
This week-end they had a 2 for $40 sale. now many of these sales were for Futureshop but FS is owned by BB and they price match. even the titles I bought when not on sale I chose one of those 2 stores since they are cheaper than amazon or wal mart believe it or not on most occasions.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
A lot of people still don't bother ordering online. Many like the instant gratification from buying at a store and the ability to browse at a bunch of titles right in front of them. Best Buy and their reputation is huge, as well - I would imagine they must be right up there in the number of HDTVs and players sold too.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Amazon's regular price on catalog titles is at $19.99. If you are part of the one year early "Bonus" group, you would save $2.00 off that and if you were a Prime member, you would have unlimited free two day shipping, so catalog titles would run you $17.99 each and that would be with no special sale event. Also, most of the time, the discs are delivered at the door on release date.

Paul

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Exactly. Heck, I'll spend more just to "have it now" sometimes rather then buying online and saving a few bucks.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Kind of surprising to me too Paul. Normally, one can save $4-5 on each title thru amazon etc...but I do understand the 'have-to-get-it-now' logic on some titles. Still, when one buys alot like most here, amazon is the way to go.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
I don't buy online for the simple reason of I want to have no trouble returning a defective disc if I encounter one. This is particularly true of multi disc sets where if there is one defective disc, I can take it to the store swap out the defective disc with a another from a new set. This has one main advantage.... I'm not forced to rewatch all the discs over again to ensure there are no new defective discs in the set I just swapped. Stores are pretty accommodaing for that. Between Costco and the BB first week sales, I spend very little extra for this peace of mind.

Averry

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew
I got pissed off at Amazon.

I have prime and my friend and I ordered and Xbox 360 for him and put down the $4 shipping for Next Day.

They promptly shipped it ground. What the heck, I called to complain, and as it is there wasn't much to complain about. For one, the xbox 360 was on its way, so there wasn't much to do but get the $4 back. Big whoop huh?

Also, I pre-ordered knocked up and chose 2nd day. They didn't ship it till monday so I got it after the day it came out and saved maybe $3.

I had Transformers on pre-order for next day, but that's a movie I want on the first day GARUNTEED. If they ship it wrong, or wait to long to ship it I'D BE PISSED.

So on new releases, i'm going to Best Buy, but for movies I dont' have yet, I'll order them on line. It's no biggie.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S

Amazon is definitely the way to go for me. Reinvesting the savings into other titles probably account for growing my collection by about 1/4 to 1/3.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Ditto! :emoji_thumbsup:
htf_images_smilies_dance.gif

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Best Buy is simply too expensive too me.

Did anyone see how much "Heroes S1" was the first week!?

$29.95 titles are $24.99 at Best Buy, plus tax it comes to $27 and some change. That's over $7.00 more per title.

It's a HUGE savings to buy from Amazon or another online retailer instead, especially if you're buying multiple titles.

Rolando

Screenwriter
Well I guess I should have specified I was in Canada when I started with: "well I don't know what BB prices are like in the US..."

In Canada getting a disc from amazon for $18 is still not good when you factor in exchange and shipping. even with the Canadian and US being pretty much $1 for $1 shipping is still more than $2 per disc as far as I know to Canada. AND not many of us where lucky enough to get the 10%. Actually the amount of HD and BD player owners must have at least tripled since the offer ended (to sign on for it I mean) so it makes sense to assume most people buying HD media are not eligible to get this discount.

Trust me I am the cheapest guy I know. I will go back and use the price protection policy even for $2. But so far none of the purchases I have made at BB or Futureshop would have been cheaper online.

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
I buy most of my new-release titles at either Best Buy or Circuit City. Namely because I need instant gratification... plus taking defective titles back makes it worth the added expense.

For older titles I generally order on the web. Amazon has been smoking Deep Discount in this arena.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Amazon ships overnight or 2 day via UPS. I live alone and am usually at work when the UPS delivery comes, so they leave a sticker on my door and I have to get on the phone, call UPS to arrange to pick up the item, then wait at home for them to call me back to arrange pickup. Then I have to drive all the way across town to the worst part of the city to pick up my item. This hassle more than negates the $5 savings on single-movie titles.

I will order from Amazon only if the title is not likely to be stocked by my local BB or CC--usually catalog titles--or for multidisc sets that carry substantial discounts on Amazon.

I've ordered several import HD DVDs from Xploited Cinema and they do ship USPS so I don't have to do the UPS chicken-dance to get my merchandise.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Quite often Target's prices are equal to that of Amazon's, or better, if they stock the title you are looking for. I picked up F4: Rise of the Silver Surfer cheaper at Target then Amazon. Plus, no shipping or waiting.

And I can fully agree to what Averry said above. Amazon has screwed me one too many times so I canceled everything I had on pre-order with them. I'll pay more just for better service, Best Buy or where ever. According to Amazon they would not be able to ship me F4 until 10/15, two weeks past street, that is totally unacceptable.

ErichH

Screenwriter
Best Buy is always overpriced on DVD media. Amazon all the way. That report smells.

Travis Hedger

Supporting Actor
Ugh, Best Buys prices are insane for high def media. $29.99 to $34.99 is the NORM.

I only buy high def media from BB if they have a sale. Most of the rest has been from Amazon.

Also, returns for Amazon are easier than returns to a store.

When I got TMNT, it was scratched to hell as it came off the hub. I went into the return thing for Amazon, printed a shipping label, slapped it in a box and threw it in the nearest mailbox. 2 Days later I had my replacement as they cross ship.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

Unfortunately, not at the Target's in my area. Put me down as an Amazon guy too. I have had good luck with them.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter

My experience w/Amazon is the same with you Travis!

I'm a Charter PRIME member so getting 10% OFF is a very big incentive vs. BB!!!

I just use the PRIME 2-Day FREE SH and my average time receiving my pre-ordered HD DVD's (over 50 HD DVDs) has been 1-day!!! They'll ship my pre-ordered HD DVD on Monday, I get it Tuesday - has been that way since last December!!! :D

As far as returns, I never had a problem with my HD DVD's but I did have one problem with Firefly TV Set, ... the 1st set had two Disc #4's. :frowning:

So I went back into my Account / Order Form and chose to Return this set. I printed out the Media Mail label and Amazon shipped my 2nd Firefly TV set the next day. I watched Disc 1, and started Disc 2 when my 2nd Firefly set arrived (just in time ;)), ... so I sent back the 1st Firefly set the next day.

Returns is so easy, painless and if the item is defective or if it's not up to the quality you expected, ... Amazon pays for the Return SH. Once they receive the item, ... you get back 100% Refund!!!

I haven't been to BB for a DVD or HD DVD since mid 2005!

Phil

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
I missed out on the Amazon 10% off deal and frankly I'm tired of hearing you guys talk about it. :P

I don't think it's a shock that BBY is the #1 hi def retailer but I am surprised that it apparently isn't very close.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks