What's new

Replacing woofers in older speakers (1 Viewer)

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I blew the woofer in one of my old Mirage 290IS speakers. The replacement from Mirage (Klipsh owns them now) does not fit. I can't afford to replace these great sounding speakers. What do you think the chances are that I can get good sound from a replacement driver from Parts Express?:crazy: I suppose I would need two drivers to match in both my speakers. I have asked the manufacturer for the specifications (the speaker I removed says "4 ohms" on the side: the most important spec), but I'm afraid that the specs they send me will be for the replacement driver which is not the right driver.

robert bartsch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
robert bartsch
Find out if Klipsch will work on them. Somtimes they can replace the voice coil and make them like new.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
That's like saying all cars are interchangable because they have 4 tires. There are dozens of other things you need to look at. The Theile/Small parameters must be the same or you will have to change the enclosure for optimum performance. The frequency response across the passband will have to be the same as well. If your current driver plays up to 5khz without break-up, your new driver will need to as well. The PE specs don't include any graphs of distortion by frequency. That's what you need the measuring tools for.

-Robert

chuckg

Supporting Actor
If the new driver does not fit, then it is not the correct driver. I'm sure Klipsch can get the right part for you, jsut keep trying!

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Good news! Just called Klipsch and they're sending me the correct driver! Apparently their database had two different drivers defined as the woofer for this speaker. I don't know if Mirage made different 290is speakers or what. I'm very happy I could get the right woofer, these speakers sound very nice!

robert bartsch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
robert bartsch
I had an Altec system with 15 inch woofers and a cast horn driver that I sold a few years ago. Big mistake! ANyway, I can relate to this...

I thought you could forward "busted" drivers to the original manufacturor and have them install a new voice coil and cone in many cases since the core components such as the magnets and frames, do not degrade with time.

Anyway, good luck.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
There are dozens of web based companies that will re-foam or re-cone classic woofers as well as guitar speakers. The number of companies that can recone a good sub is very limited as the parts are sometimes not standardized or require special sized parts (like the 10" spiders I found 2 sources for).

-Robert

Ron Temple

Stunt Coordinator
I've been fairly lucky in replacing drivers and tweeters with my older Polk SDAs. Polk supports most of the parts and there is a large online community of owners that share...at least a dozen in the Bay Area.

Glad to see Klipsch/Mirage stepped up because the sweetness of some of these vintage speaks are irreplacable.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I don't know about "irreplacable", but they sure do sound great to me. I had them as rear surrounds, but they're so good as mains. Next I'll add a sub to my little office system so this doesn't happen again. Too much jammin.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks