What's new

replacing front in-walls, investing in equalizer (1 Viewer)

nystad

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jon
Hoping to get someone's advice on these two issues.

First, I am going to upgrade my front channel in-walls (pinnacle WAFR CT 525) which are currently part of a 7.2 surround system using the center WAFR flush 606 rears and center BD 3000 in a 25x15' theater running off a Denon AVR 331 3CI receiver. Instead of swapping everything, I thought this would be decent bang for the buck instead. One reason is to get more mid base frequencies. (I know these are good in-walls but I know there is still plenty of room for improvement w/ box speakers). This time I'm going for a good box speaker. Will cut into the wall so they can be recessed somewhat. Most any size could work I guess. Hoping to not spend crazy $ but would like it to invest enough be an obvious improvement. Someone mind sharing a couple of your top couple speaker recs for this scenerio? I assume leaving the rear 4 in-walls would not be a huge deal? Would be mix-matched but I assumed this not big deal?

Second question relates to investing in an equalizer for the system. The subs are two SVS NSD subs. Vs. relying on the Audyssey w/ the Denon, upgrading to a good equalizer that can offer improvement for the system including the sub responses. Im willing to invest enough here.

thanks so much

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Stick with Pinnacle if you want sound uniformity.

Pinnacle BD500 or 650.

The 500 is the same efficiency as your center(which you, still to this moment, have yet to show us ANYTHING about how the Denon Aud did the set-up) while the 650 is even more efficient with the 500 reaching a usable 50hz and the 650 reaching 35hz.

Until you tell us how the set-up is done, I'm on the assumptions...

1. Set-up is absolutely lousy
2. Throwing money at it is a complete and utter waste of time
3. Nobody can help you without correcting number 1

nystad

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jon
The audyssey specs I'm unsure of since its been adjusted manually now. Speakers are crossover set to 80 hz. Levels are also manually set to my ear which is much better than what was set previously with audyssey. I'm pretty sure it's optimized best with the given equipment and speaker placement. The other advantage I thought w box speakers is ability to place them with a slight center tilt to center of room vs just the theater adjustments. Restricted otherwise based on wall design in the room.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
True, which is why "we never recommend in-wall" unless they can be properly placed. Even if you had bought motorized in-walls(that are flush to the wall "not in use" and come out of the wall in proper orientation...example of which later)...they are still behind the 8-ball.

IF you want to do this completely right(and have the cash to burn)...

I would start again fresh on the front wall with an AT screen. Build a false wall for three tower speakers to sit on, such as the BD1000(or three BD500 or 650 would work as well...forgetting, entirely the entire concept of MTM center).

You haven't had this stuff long enough where you installer couldn't credit you back...

1. Your present screen(well, actually have no idea...is it purpose built for the wall...or just hanging there?)
2. Your current front and center

To buy...

1. Bigger AT screen in the 130-140 range(fixed...don't need motorized or anything else)
2. Three identical speakers...such as the 500/650/1000
3. A "false wall"

Edit:
Forgot to include an example of a motorized speaker.
http://www.amazon.com/KEF-CIFDT-Motorized-Surround-Speaker/dp/B000P0W6H0/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1364662654&sr=1-1&keywords=motorized+in-wall+speaker

nystad

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jon
I don't have $ to burn, just a bit obsessed I guess. Due to structure issues in the room, the screen changes are not a great option. Only
vertical front speaker modifications possible, but no room to change horizontally. I've had equipment 5 months so can't return for credit.
I don't think the setup is as bad as I alluded to. Not perfect but actually only about 1' above and about 1-2' peripheral to seating.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks