What's new

Replacing DVD player with Blu Ray player in existing HT system (1 Viewer)

DUSTMAN

Auditioning
Real Name
Danny Earnhardt
I want to replace a DVD player with a BR player and need some help in selecting the best one for the existing HT system I have and is detailed below, plus I have a few questions that need answering.

CURRENT SYSTEM

TV---LG 42PC1DA 42” PLASMA, NATIVE RESOLUTION 720P. Purchased late December 2006. At that time, was a very highly touted, (and expensive), Plasma HDTV.
A/V UNIT---YAMAHA RX-V1200/DP2/6.1---Purchased late December 2001. At that time, was one of their better A/V units.
DVD PLAYER—YAMAHA DVD S1200—Purchasedlate December 2001. At that time, was their “flagship” DVD player. Very expensive.
SPEAKERS---ALL KLIPSCH. 2 Reference Series RF-3 Mains—2 Reference Series RC-3, (1 front center and 1 rear center), 2 Reference Series RS-3 effects speakers and 1 KSW-15 800Watt Subwoofer. These speakers were fairly expensive, but well worth the money! The sound they put out is just awesome!
I am totally satisfied with the entire system as is. The TV looks great, even at only 720P. The DVD player and A/V unit brings out the best of all the Home Theater components. Great picture AND sound! BUT, NO BLU RAY! Now,as I said, the system is awesome as is and I don’t feel compelled to spend a fortune to update everything so I need to make a careful selection for the Blu Ray player.
Since the A/V system has a little age on it, it does not have HDMI connection. The LG TV does, however. So, I intend to run an HDMI cable from a Blu Ray unit directly to the TV and use the optical output, (the Blu Ray must have an optical output), to the A/V receiver for the audio. Also, the DVD player has 6 channel outputs, so I would like to get a Blu Ray player that has the 6 channel outputs. I already have a Component Video cable from the DVD to the TV and some Blu Ray players have a component video output, however, I understand you will lose some features using the CV cable instead of an HDMI cable, so that’s why I am leaning to the HDMI route. IS THIS CONFIGURATION SENSIBLE, OR IS THERE A BETTER WAY?
Also, from what I can understand with my limited knowledge, most BR players output 7.1 audio. How will that work with my 6.1 A/V unit?
Will a standard DVD when played in a BR player be upscaled to the native resolution of my TV, 720p?

BLU RAY PLAYER FEATURES WISH LIST
WI FI PREFERRED (AT LEAST AN ETHERNET PORT)
OPTICAL AUDIO OUTPUT
6 CHANNEL OUTPUTS
SELECTABLE RESOLUTION OUTPUT
ANY PERSONAL RECOMMENDATIONS YOU MAY HAVE
OTHER FEATURES ARE ONLY A PLUS, THE FIRST 4 ABOVE, I FEEL, ARE NECESSARY FOR MY SYSTEM
So, the $64 dollar question is….which BR player should I get? I have looked at the specs on many and I can’t really get a handle on which one would be the best for my current system. Probably because I don’t know enough to make a decision properly. Just hoping someone on this board may be able to shed some light on the subject for me. THANKS FOR ALL YOUR TIME.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The Samsung 3600, Sony 560 and LG390 are 3 popular choices that seem to fit your requirements. The Panasonic 80 and Pioneer 320 do everthing but WiFi. But they do have an ethernet output. I'm sure there are many others like the OPPO 83 (ethernet) and Marantz 9004 ($6000!) but those are the more popular players.

Whichever brand you choose you will need the higher end model in order to get the 7.1 analog outputs.

Will a standard DVD when played in a BR player be upscaled to the native resolution of my TV, 720p?

I'm pretty sure most players allow you to select a video resolution.
When you think you've decided on a player I suggset you down-load the manual to make sure it has everthing you're looking for.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Regarding your question about upscaling to 720p via the BR player. Upscaling by the player will only take place if you use the HDMI connection. BR players will not upscale over component; however, that is also true of most upscaling DVD players. I would probably go for the Oppo BDP-83 player if I was in the market for a new BR player. The initial cost is higher but it contains almost every feature I would be looking for except the abilty to play HD DVDs: its only shortcoming that I can see.

DUSTMAN

Auditioning
Real Name
Danny Earnhardt
I am going with the Oppo BDP-83, even though it isn't WiFi capable as well as no streaming. However, the two main units I was looking at..the Samsung BD-P3600 and the LG BD390 had so many really bad reviews from so many owners, I decided to go with the Oppo. It's reviews were 4-5 stars across the board. Might be a bit more expensive, but you get what you pay for.

Thanks for the replies,
Dustman

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I would probably go for the Oppo BDP-83 player if I was in the market for a new BR player. The initial cost is higher but it contains almost every feature I would be looking for except the abilty to play HD DVDs: its only shortcoming that I can see.
The other main issue is a fixed cross-over at 80 hz for the 7.1 ch analog outs. There's supposed to be a firmware that will make it adjustable but I don't think it's here yet. And 80 isn't too bad for most users who will be using the analogs. But adjustable would be nice as I prefer 60 for DVD-A/SACD.

Also, there appears to be a new advanced model, the BDP-83SE (Special Edition) which has an up-graded analog section, among other things. Forgot to look at the price but I'm sure it's somewhere on the web site.

EDIT: The SE gets new, multiple DACS and an improved power supply along with a much higher price. $899. Think I'll keep the old 83 for a while longer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks